Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins has always proven himself. He’s ready to do it again.
Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
I think Kirk is a good quarterback and you can win with him with the right supporting cast around him....but we've paid him $155 million dollars since he's been in Minnesota, he's going to be 35, was one off for the league lead in interceptions last season, and his QBR dropped to a career low 92.5 percent last season which is a drop of a full 11 points from where it was the year prior. Oh, and we are once again going into the last year of his deal. I think I speak for a good portion of fans who want off the ride and are ready to try something different...
Fans on here bitched about his risk averse play before last year, and said the only reason his stats were good were due to garbage time inflation. People said they would gladly give up stats for better results. Last year he did just that, but a putrid defense kept this team from being a serious contender. 

People that don't think Kirk is good enough to win are ridiculous. Look at history. Eli Manning was just above average. Peyton won his last SB when he was a walking cadaver. Joe Flacco? Nic Foles? Matt Stafford? I'd put Kirk on any of those teams with those defenses and coaches, and feel pretty good about the outcome.
Sadly, you won't convince anyone in the anti-Kirk camp. If only we had a different QB and Jim Harbaugh as coach, we could have won 13 games last year.....

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:
I think Kirk is a good quarterback and you can win with him with the right supporting cast around him....but we've paid him $155 million dollars since he's been in Minnesota, he's going to be 35, was one off for the league lead in interceptions last season, and his QBR dropped to a career low 92.5 percent last season which is a drop of a full 11 points from where it was the year prior. Oh, and we are once again going into the last year of his deal. I think I speak for a good portion of fans who want off the ride and are ready to try something different...
Fans on here bitched about his risk averse play before last year, and said the only reason his stats were good were due to garbage time inflation. People said they would gladly give up stats for better results. Last year he did just that, but a putrid defense kept this team from being a serious contender. 

People that don't think Kirk is good enough to win are ridiculous. Look at history. Eli Manning was just above average. Peyton won his last SB when he was a walking cadaver. Joe Flacco? Nic Foles? Matt Stafford? I'd put Kirk on any of those teams with those defenses and coaches, and feel pretty good about the outcome.
Sadly, you won't convince anyone in the anti-Kirk camp. If only we had a different QB and Jim Harbaugh as coach, we could have won 13 games last year.....
We won the softest 12-13 games in NFL history last year.  Doing so set us back 2-3 years at best in a necessary rebuild. Perhaps Flores can work miracles with an overmatched defense, and we can somehow become a legit contender.  Personally, I don’t see it.  Those of us wanting to move on from Kirk don’t hate him.  The only part I don’t like about him is his unwillingness to do a team friendly deal that allows us to take the next step.  I don’t think as one dimensional as Kirk is that we can build a Super Bowl winner around him.  I just think we need to bite the bullet and move on.  Personally I like the guy and am a little split on what the next move should be.  But I am in the camp of keeping our flexibility to move on from him.  Continually operating with one arm tied behind our back won’t work.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
@StickyBun said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:

We won the softest 12-13 games in NFL history last year.  Doing so set us back 2-3 years at best in a necessary rebuild. Perhaps Flores can work miracles with an overmatched defense, and we can somehow become a legit contender.  Personally, I don’t see it.  Those of us wanting to move on from Kirk don’t hate him.  The only part I don’t like about him is his unwillingness to do a team friendly deal that allows us to take the next step.  I don’t think as one dimensional as Kirk is that we can build a Super Bowl winner around him.  I just think we need to bite the bullet and move on.  Personally I like the guy and am a little split on what the next move should be.  But I am in the camp of keeping our flexibility to move on from him.  Continually operating with one arm tied behind our back won’t work.
people like to point out the come from behind wins, well if it wasnt for the biggest bail out the QB catch I think I have ever seen, by JJ on what would have been a game sealing pick,  and a defensive TD,  that was a loss on the road in buffalo.  now yes it was a high scoring affair and the D could have done better ( but thats the NFL now right? )  and we got another teams QB at a weak moment,  but somehow the D gets all the blame and Kirk gets the credit for all these come from behind wins.   
Why are we always behind?  Why cant a great QB and our great offensive minded HC just dial up a game where we kick the living shit out of a team?  we have the best WR in the game,  a great TE, a RB that can dial up an awesome game when he feels like his worth is being threatened.    we had 3 wins last year against team by more than 1 score,  the opener where Aron was still pouting,  the fish, where we were facing a 3rd or 4th string QB,  and the end of the year game where the bears  who had nothing to play for.  if this isnt about Kirk,  then IMO its about KOC,  they were in their first year together so I am fine with waiting and seeing what 23 brings from the partnership,  but I am not good with giving  Kirk another deal that handcuffs the team going forward.  I would rather see a couple losing seasons than another good but not good enough team trotted out there. sometimes you need to go to the plate looking for a long ball.

Oh fer F'ck sake...Now we're going to asterisk a 13 win season that was filled with thrills then piss on it too?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Oh fer F'ck sake...Now we're going to asterisk a 13 win season that was filled with thrills then piss on it too?
im not attacking the season,  i am asking why KC gets all the fn credit and the D gets all the blame for the shortcoming of a season that some think is something to hold up as a  baseline for future potential.   KC is 35 years old, he has never produced anything close to a SB contender as an NFL QB,  but yet some fans want to blame everything including the fly on the wall and the way the parking lot is striped as a reason why the teams he has led, cant elevate to a championship contender.  

he is a hell of an arm talent,  but his lack of mobility is a liability.  his age and track record suggest that he is not a horse to which a team should be hitching their wagon.  for shit sake Rick.... we have had fans saying not to take a risk on a 25 year old QB ( hooker ), because he is to old,  but we have fans saying to re -up with a 35 year old,  proven nothing KC?  come on man...   he is more than able to keep delivering us "nice " seasons, but at our age,  is that what we are really about?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
im not attacking the season,  i am asking why KC gets all the fn credit and the D gets all the blame for the shortcoming of a season that some think is something to hold up as a  baseline for future potential.   KC is 35 years old, he has never produced anything close to a SB contender as an NFL QB,  but yet some fans want to blame everything including the fly on the wall and the way the parking lot is striped as a reason why the teams he has led, cant elevate to a championship contender.  

he is a hell of an arm talent,  but his lack of mobility is a liability.  his age and track record suggest that he is not a horse to which a team should be hitching their wagon.  for shit sake Rick.... we have had fans saying not to take a risk on a 25 year old QB ( hooker ), because he is to old,  but we have fans saying to re -up with a 35 year old,  proven nothing KC?  come on man...   he is more than able to keep delivering us "nice " seasons, but at our age,  is that what we are really about?
At a high level, thats the right interpretation of last season...KC is the driver of the strength of the team, which is offense.

Not Darrisaw or Hock or even JJ. 

It'll be the strength of the team this year too. Hopefully the D wont suck as badly and we wont be one/done in the post season. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

At a high level, thats the right interpretation of last season...KC is the driver of the strength of the team, which is offense.

It'll be the strength of the team this year too. Hopefully the D wont suck as badly and we wont be one/done in the post season. 

Is that the goal,  a playoff win?  I thought it was to win the playoffs and I dont see this team making the leap to the level of the iggles or niners,  hell we will be lucky to win our own division again .

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Cousins had a top 10 defense for the first two years here and we had one wild card win out of it.  Last year had all of those close games (which we won unlike 21, which we lost) because this team was horrific for a minimum of 1/4 a game, if not half.  Cousins is a part of that, he needs to be more consistent in moving the chains.  Problem is, he won't be able to as he ages with lesser mobility by the year.  So the team needs to get better value per contract which is very hard to do.

You need a great team around a guy like him to win deep in the playoffs, with his contract mercenary attitude and cost, we won't ever be able to field a team that can get him over the hump.  You are essentially saying he needs 

A top 15 OL (which means two guys playing at a high level and getting paid)
the same level of premier WRs he has had his whole tenure here (Diggs, Adam, Jefferson)
a good running game
a good tight end
and a great defense that is cheap (have to hit on 75% of your picks)

How the fuck does that happen?  

Also how many QBs could go deep with that roster for less?  

The franchise loves mediocrity and will continue to be that as long as they ride the Cousins ride.  Who here can confidently say this team has what it takes to win 2 playoff games in the same year in the next two years?  No one, so why are we running it back?  I can guarantee you Cousins will be either 37/38 and finally move on from Minnesota with over $200M made and 1 wild card win to show for it.

Bad investment.

It was an asterisk 13 win season because it was the first 17 game schedule in the history of the league. If it doesn’t deserve an asterisk for that, nothing would.  I could give a shit about last years team winning a bunch of coin-flip games and being a non-threat in the playoffs.  Any Viking fan that is happy with anything other than progression towards a Super Bowl should give up their fan card.  And, I just don’t see it in the way we’re essentially polishing a turd.  There needs to be tough decisions made, and quite frankly I see just the opposite with the new regime.  When Dennis Green came on board, he ripped it down to the studs by getting rid of a bunch of vets and bringing in a bunch of new blood.  It’s the closest we’ve been since our Super Bowl days.  

Kirk isnt the issue

you listening defense?