Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Draft ranked 31 out of 32 Teams by the Athletic's Dane Brugler
Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Ouch...

I think it was a pretty average draft. Hard to do much when you don't have a second round pick, which is a hugely key piece in maneuvering up or having an "on paper" nice looking draft. If you don't count Hockenson as part of the draft, then yeah, on the surface it pales in comparison to a lot of team's draft tally's. Even counting Hockenson, it's still fair to wonder if we would have been better off keeping our pick and taking advantage of maybe the deepest TE group ever and having say, Michael Mayer or Kincaid on a rookie contract. Now we are going to be breaking the bank on Hockenson, after inexplicably giving Oliver a 21-million dollar contract, and still having to manage the cap to fit in JJ's soon to be record breaking contract. Oh and there is still the contract issue of Kirko on top of everything else. I don't know man, it just seems like whenever this front office does anything, it's questionable on if it was the right decision to make at the time. I would just like for once to be able to stand up and applaud the front office and say "great fucking move!" Two years in and I'm still waiting for it to happen...
Remember the Hock trade was because ISJ was hurt... again (another "great" Spielman pick, btw), and the Vikes wanted a replacement TE for their playoff run.  Hock not only replaced ISJ, but he might end up being the best TE in Viking's history.  I'd much rather have that than unproven drafted rookies with the #2 pick.

Disagree about ISJ. If he stays healthy in Pittsburgh, he's going to be a real weapon for them.

But I totally agree on TJH. Proven, 25 year old, 2X Pro Bowl TE and there are some questioning giving up a 2nd round pick for that? Madness. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Ouch...

I think it was a pretty average draft. Hard to do much when you don't have a second round pick, which is a hugely key piece in maneuvering up or having an "on paper" nice looking draft. If you don't count Hockenson as part of the draft, then yeah, on the surface it pales in comparison to a lot of team's draft tally's. Even counting Hockenson, it's still fair to wonder if we would have been better off keeping our pick and taking advantage of maybe the deepest TE group ever and having say, Michael Mayer or Kincaid on a rookie contract. Now we are going to be breaking the bank on Hockenson, after inexplicably giving Oliver a 21-million dollar contract, and still having to manage the cap to fit in JJ's soon to be record breaking contract. Oh and there is still the contract issue of Kirko on top of everything else. I don't know man, it just seems like whenever this front office does anything, it's questionable on if it was the right decision to make at the time. I would just like for once to be able to stand up and applaud the front office and say "great fucking move!" Two years in and I'm still waiting for it to happen...
Remember the Hock trade was because ISJ was hurt... again (another "great" Spielman pick, btw), and the Vikes wanted a replacement TE for their playoff run.  Hock not only replaced ISJ, but he might end up being the best TE in Viking's history.  I'd much rather have that than unproven drafted rookies with the #2 pick.

Disagree about ISJ. If he stays healthy in Pittsburgh, he's going to be a real weapon for them.

But I totally agree on TJH. Proven, 25 year old, 2X Pro Bowl TE and there are some questioning giving up a 2nd round pick for that? Madness. 
stays healthy lololol 

I thought the writers guild was on strike and we weren’t going to have comedy shows for awhile. 

Draft grades are idiotic. Even the ones that say we did well. Still, NFL.com gave us an A- and ranked us among the better teams  Sporting News gave us a B+, also a top half grade. All meaningless when you consider the bad draft grades we got for 2015 (Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs) and the good draft grades we got for 2016 (Treadwell, Alexander, Beavers).

Either way it's tough to impress anyone when you have so few picks. Last year we had 4 picks in the top 70, this year we had 1. 
I think we only have 5 picks this upcoming draft too?

that could certainly change (especially if they dont have to outright release Z and Cook) - but it will be a challenge again. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Ouch...

stays healthy lololol 

I thought the writers guild was on strike and we weren’t going to have comedy shows for awhile. 
Kyle Rudolph and Robert Smith had sketchy, injury filled starts to their careers. We heard over and over and over that they were busts and they would never stay healthy...until they did. Same with Frank Gore, Antonio Gates. Injuries are so overrated. It's more bad luck than anything. 

Draft rankings are a funny and ridiculous.  You love them when you team is rated highly and hate them otherwise.  Fact is, NFL teams spend millions and an incredible amount of time scouting players, especially in the first round.  You would think that there would be an incredible success rate for 1st round picks.  Then you look at the # of 1st rounders who did not have their 5th year option picked up this week -- or did not even make it to their 4th year with the team that drafted them, and you realize how much a crap shoot even the 1st round is.  https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news...wmqf7up5yi   If the teams can't get it right, how do we expect a columnist's grade to be even close to correct? 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Draft rankings are a funny and ridiculous.  You love them when you team is rated highly and hate them otherwise.  Fact is, NFL teams spend millions and an incredible amount of time scouting players, especially in the first round.  You would think that there would be an incredible success rate for 1st round picks.  Then you look at the # of 1st rounders who did not have their 5th year option picked up this week -- or did not even make it to their 4th year with the team that drafted them, and you realize how much a crap shoot even the 1st round is.  https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news...wmqf7up5yi   If the teams can't get it right, how do we expect a columnist's grade to be even close to correct? 
But what about value?? Can't you see KAM is getting fleeced right in front of our eyes??  :p

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Draft rankings are a funny and ridiculous.  You love them when you team is rated highly and hate them otherwise.  Fact is, NFL teams spend millions and an incredible amount of time scouting players, especially in the first round.  You would think that there would be an incredible success rate for 1st round picks.  Then you look at the # of 1st rounders who did not have their 5th year option picked up this week -- or did not even make it to their 4th year with the team that drafted them, and you realize how much a crap shoot even the 1st round is.  https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-fifth-year-option-tracker-draft-picks/jyqwwzddcqnag2wmqf7up5yi   If the teams can't get it right, how do we expect a columnist's grade to be even close to correct? 
This is what has always baffled me. You're right, this is a multi-billion dollar industry, filled with mountains of data and hundreds of scouts who pore over height, weight, speed, strength, personality, cognitive skills, all in an attempt to identify college players who can play in the NFL....

You would think they would be better at it. 

@"HappyViking" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Ouch...

It's not so much about the player as it is the position he plays and money allocation after forking over $21 million to Oliver in free agency. How much money do we want tied up at the TE position with JJ about to break the bank on a new contract, Darrisaw coming up, and Cousins contract still up in the air? I think all things considered I would have preferred taking advantage of the talent depth in this draft and having a productive TE on a rookie deal for 4 or 5 years while our salary cap gets sorted out.

Subjective, speculative, and meaningless.