Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Jaren Hall
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but outside of Hurts in the NFC, I dont know another QB I would want over KC: 

Dak?
Fields?
Love?
Goff?
Purdy?
Smith?
Maybe (big maybe) Murray
Danny Dimes?
Dalton?
Stafford
Darnold
Heinicke
I would take Stafford over KC,   Kirk has the better arm, but Stafford brings more to the position IMO,  but its about  a coin flip imo. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but outside of Hurts in the NFC, I dont know another QB I would want over KC: 

Dak?
Fields?
Love?
Goff?
Purdy?
Smith?
Maybe (big maybe) Murray
Danny Dimes?
Dalton?
Stafford
Darnold
Heinicke
I would take Stafford over KC,   Kirk has the better arm, but Stafford brings more to the position IMO,  but its about  a coin flip imo. 
I think Stafford is too beat up and damaged goods now Jimmy...

Dak?
Fields?
Love?
Goff?
Purdy?
Smith?
Maybe (big maybe) Murray
Danny Dimes?
Dalton?
Stafford
Darnold
Heinicke
There isn't a QB on this list who is better than Cousins IMO. Some are younger and more mobile and that would factor in I guess. The only two I might think about for a bit are Dimes and Murray. Actually scratch that. Both are making way more than Cousins. So no, zero. 

Vikings intrigued by skills, personality and decision-making of BYU quarterback Jaren Hall

“Really excited to get him,” general manager Kwesi-Adofo Mensah said. “And a little bit surprised to be able to get him when we did.”
The Vikings used the No. 164 overall pick to select the 6-foot, 207-pound signal caller who led BYU to an 18-8 mark in two seasons as a starter. Already 25 — he spent two years on a Mormon mission before starting college — Hall is older than most NFL prospects. He also is not a prototypical passer, but he threw for 3,171 yards and 31 touchdowns against just six interceptions last season.
In 31 games at BYU, with 24 starts, he completed 65 percent of his passes for 6,174 yards with 52 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He also rushed for 798 yards and nine touchdowns.
“I think that will always be a part of who I am, and I think one of my best assets is being able to extend plays when they break down,” he said. “I think until you get to the point where you understand the game like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson — some of the guys that are really some of the premier pocket passers — you have to use that ability as much as you can without jeopardizing your health and your body.
“That’s something that I’ve gotten better at throughout my career and will always be a part of who I am and what I do, because I think that’s when I’m at my best, doing both.”
The Vikings are less concerned about Hall’s size and age as intrigued by his skills, his personality and his decision-making.
One of the things that drips off of him is what type of teammate he was. … When he makes a good throw how they rally around him,” Vikings director of college scouting Mike Sholiton said. “There’s just a certain ‘it’ factor that you’re always looking for in a quarterback, and I think it’s hard to quantify.”
“That’s an outstanding young man,” Adofo-Mensah said. “I’d like to see him lead my team, or any organization I was a part of.”
Hall started at BYU playing baseball and football — he hit .245 with two home runs and 11 runs batted in in 30 games for the Cougars — before committing fulltime to football.
“I didn’t win the starting (quarterback) job for a couple years, and once I did, I could tell that choice really helped,” he said. “I think with just two years playing football, there’s a lot I can learn and a lot of potential.”
Whether the Vikings see him as the obvious choice to mold into Cousins’ successor is unclear.
“You can have a long-term plan in terms of understanding how important the position is and what you need to do in that room,” Adofo-Mensah said. “But for me to tell you that this person will specifically be in a certain performance bucket at a certain place, I can’t do that. But I know that we have added a really talented player that has tremendous upside in this league.
“You talk about the things that we look for in this position — the ability to make decisions, the ability to throw accurately, deal with conflict and sometimes try to make a play outside the framework of the play call — he does all those things at a really good level.”

https://www.twincities.com/2023/04/29/vikings-use-fifth-round-pick-on-byu-quarterback-jaren-hall/

Not sure if his age of 25 is that much of a big deal.  He hasn't taken the hits of alot of younger quarterbacks coming into the league and at 25 he is likely more mature than the younger ones.  Look at all of the guys that played the position well into their late 30's.  The way the league chews up and spits out players is age really that big of a deal for a quarterback coming into the league?

In my opinion Jaren Hall is exactly the kind of prospect you look to take a shot on. His evaluations are all over the place and sometimes I question what the hell these guys are watching on tape. Actually, I suspect some of them don’t watch tape and simply regurgitate others opinions.
I would classify his arm strength as “good” to “very good” in relation to the NFL level. I’ve seen video of him throwing out to 70 yards while just throwing balls and while watching game tape, I observed a 58 air yard throw in stride resulting in a TD. It got there quick as well. He’s a baseball player and his arm appears very similar to Russell Wilson. I think Wilson threw 55mph at the combine and I’d suspect he’s right in there 55-56. His long ball is exceptional in placement and trajectory. One of the best in this years class in my opinion. 
His running ability is exceptional. He clocked in the 4.6 range, but in my opinion he’s plays in the high 4.4 to low 4.5. He’s right with Wilson in this regard. He’s shifty and can extend plays.

The bad:

He is not great with pressure, which is why I ranked him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. He seems to have decent pocket awareness, but he lets the pressure breakdown his footwork. He will often throw off balance and falling backwards. This reduces velocity some, although like Wilson, he is able to throw from all sorts of arm positions with pretty good velocity, much like you often see with former baseball players. It was good enough for college velocity wise, but the speed of the NFL will be a problem. He also seems to freeze momentarily when the defense is bearing down so he needs help with his processing speed here. He doesn’t seem to fear taking a shot so much as he fears taking a sack. He needs a lot of work in this area of his game. He couldn’t be going to a better situation getting to see one of the best under pressure QB’s do his thing in Cousins.

Other questions are his size and injury history. With his size I don’t see his height as a big issue since he’s so mobile. However his weight, at just over 200 pounds, is pretty light for the NFL game. He can stand to gain 10 to 15 pounds. 
My ratings:
Arm strength rating: 7 out of 10Accuracy: 7 out of 10
Ball Placement: 7 out of 10
Catchable ball: 10 out of 10 - it’s magnificent - watch the tape
Against pressure: 3 out of 10

My expectations:

He’ll be at an NFL backup level by end of camp year one. He could have a career as a backup in the league as is.

If he can fix the issues with pressure and at times breakdown in mechanics, he has the potential to be a plus starter in the league. Comps I would use are Russell Wilson and Jalen Hurts.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
In my opinion Jaren Hall is exactly the kind of prospect you look to take a shot on. His evaluations are all over the place and sometimes I question what the hell these guys are watching on tape. Actually, I suspect some of them don’t watch tape and simply regurgitate others opinions.
I would classify his arm strength as “good” to “very good” in relation to the NFL level. I’ve seen video of him throwing out to 70 yards while just throwing balls and while watching game tape, I observed a 58 air yard throw in stride resulting in a TD. It got there quick as well. He’s a baseball player and his arm appears very similar to Russell Wilson. I think Wilson threw 55mph at the combine and I’d suspect he’s right in there 55-56. His long ball is exceptional in placement and trajectory. One of the best in this years class in my opinion. 
His running ability is exceptional. He clocked in the 4.6 range, but in my opinion he’s plays in the high 4.4 to low 4.5. He’s right with Wilson in this regard. He’s shifty and can extend plays.

The bad:

He is not great with pressure, which is why I ranked him as a 3rd or 4th round pick. He seems to have decent pocket awareness, but he lets the pressure breakdown his footwork. He will often throw off balance and falling backwards. This reduces velocity some, although like Wilson, he is able to throw from all sorts of arm positions with pretty good velocity, much like you often see with former baseball players. It was good enough for college velocity wise, but the speed of the NFL will be a problem. He also seems to freeze momentarily when the defense is bearing down so he needs help with his processing speed here. He doesn’t seem to fear taking a shot so much as he fears taking a sack. He needs a lot of work in this area of his game. He couldn’t be going to a better situation getting to see one of the best under pressure QB’s do his thing in Cousins.

Other questions are his size and injury history. With his size I don’t see his height as a big issue since he’s so mobile. However his weight, at just over 200 pounds, is pretty light for the NFL game. He can stand to gain 10 to 15 pounds. 
My ratings:
Arm strength rating: 7 out of 10Accuracy: 7 out of 10
Ball Placement: 7 out of 10
Catchable ball: 10 out of 10 - it’s magnificent - watch the tape
Against pressure: 3 out of 10

My expectations:

He’ll be at an NFL backup level by end of camp year one. He could have a career as a backup in the league as is.

If he can fix the issues with pressure and at times breakdown in mechanics, he has the potential to be a plus starter in the league. Comps I would use are Russell Wilson and Jalen Hurts.
Even as a back-up, he'll make generational $ over time...Hopefully higher ceiling than that - but thats just a hope in April. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Dak?
Fields?
Love?
Goff?
Purdy?
Smith?
Maybe (big maybe) Murray
Danny Dimes?
Dalton?
Stafford
Darnold
Heinicke
He got beat up last year,  will see how he comes back. 

Quote: @Greylock said:
Not sure if his age of 25 is that much of a big deal.  He hasn't taken the hits of alot of younger quarterbacks coming into the league and at 25 he is likely more mature than the younger ones.  Look at all of the guys that played the position well into their late 30's.  The way the league chews up and spits out players is age really that big of a deal for a quarterback coming into the league?
Not a big deal at all for QB's. In fact, in ways you mention, perhaps an asset.

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Dak?
Fields?
Love?
Goff?
Purdy?
Smith?
Maybe (big maybe) Murray
Danny Dimes?
Dalton?
Stafford
Darnold
Heinicke

Always liked Stafford, great attitude and was analog to the energizer bunny, snot knocked out of him but kept throwing it.  KC has clear sinuses, with a better attendance record.  KC, better base line performer, what stat or insight says Stafford brings more to the position?