Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings sign Ivan Pace, Jr.
Wow Calvin Pace and Andre Carter I would think should have goid chances to make the team. I’m pretty excited about them, thumbs up on that, KAM!

whatever

We are talking about UDFA's, but as far as those go, I am quite pleased to see them land Pace, Jr and Carter.  I think they both have pretty good potential.

UNSUNG HERO
Andre Carter, Army: Registered 15 ½ sacks in 2021, second in FBS behind Alabama’s Will Anderson. Slumped to 3 ½ last season despite missing just two games. With Army having a rough season, he obviously had fewer third-and-long sack chances. “He’s a good bender and a really good foot athlete for a tall guy,” one scout said. “He’s got some pass-rush knack. But he ran 4.9. That just shocked me. I didn’t see a 4.9 guy on film.” Based on new federal government policies, Carter (6-6 ½, 256) will be allowed to delay his service commitment until after his playing days. The Black Knights haven’t had a player drafted in the first six rounds since 1947.

Yeah Pace was a really good get, Maroon.  I don't know if his size will play as a full-time starter in the NFL, but he's thick and quick.  Relentless going after the football.  If you didn't catch any Bearcat games, he is a violent wrap up hitter. Pull up his highlights and guys are always going backwards when he squares them up.

At worst, he's a tone setter on special teams.  And now a guy who plays HARD just got a giant chip on his shoulder.  I'll call it right now, he's making the team.

For all the fatty fans, Calvin Avery is your guy. Former 4-star recruit, 6-1, 345 lb.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Yeah Pace was a really good get, Maroon.  I don't know if his size will play as a full-time starter in the NFL, but he's thick and quick.  Relentless going after the football.  If you didn't catch any Bearcat games, he is a violent wrap up hitter. Pull up his highlights and guys are always going backwards when he squares them up.

At worst, he's a tone setter on special teams.  And now a guy who plays HARD just got a giant chip on his shoulder.  I'll call it right now, he's making the team.
Pace was a guy I drafted in a lot of mock drafts, but only after getting a big LB like Campbell first. 

Pace isn't likely to supplant Hicks any time soon. Even if he does, the Vikings with Asamoah and Pace, might have the smallest ILB duo in the NFL. Ridiculous range, toughness and intensity with both of them, but it probably doesn't work.

For now, I just can't wait to watch him this preseason. Love the chip. After going undrafted, he posted this on Instagram: "Y'all done fucked up."

I thought Pace was gone in the 4th or 5th. I didn’t catch that he was still available.

Undoubtedly his height hurt him and that’s all too common with scouts and evaluators. Many are looking for a certain prototype.

I’m not. Rarely do I care about height, arm length, or even hand size. Why? Because they don’t appear to make as much difference as people think. This is especially true with olineman and arm length. That’s because players don’t always extend like they should during an actual game. This is why many great lineman have short or average arms. They still have better reach because they have superior technique. You can have super long arms, but if you like to keep your arms bent more at the elbow during actual play, your actually “length” is negated. I hope that makes sense.

Pace was one of the most productive LB’s in all of college football. He ran a 4.6 which is decent, but he plays faster or at least responds quicker. He’s also very strong for his size and it’s all over the tape - which is excellent I might add. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t make the team.

Evaluators are bizarre to me. Many had Mekhi Blackmon going much later in the draft, despite his actual performance on the field being elite. They graded players far less successful much higher and I cannot account for their logic other than it seems “group think” takes over and spoils actual evaluations. 
Blackmon was the number 2 corner on my board - that’s how much I disagree with the “experts”. I would have taken him in round one and not thought twice about it. We shall see how it goes, but I think we got an epic steal with him and now Pace. 
Our undrafted free agent signees look outstanding in my opinion.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
I thought Pace was gone in the 4th or 5th. I didn’t catch that he was still available.

Undoubtedly his height hurt him and that’s all too common with scouts and evaluators. Many are looking for a certain prototype.

I’m not. Rarely do I care about height, arm length, or even hand size. Why? Because they don’t appear to make as much difference as people think. This is especially true with olineman and arm length. That’s because players don’t always extend like they should during an actual game. This is why many great lineman have short or average arms. They still have better reach because they have superior technique. You can have super long arms, but if you like to keep your arms bent more at the elbow during actual play, your actually “length” is negated. I hope that makes sense.

Pace was one of the most productive LB’s in all of college football. He ran a 4.6 which is decent, but he plays faster or at least responds quicker. He’s also very strong for his size and it’s all over the tape - which is excellent I might add. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t make the team.

Evaluators are bizarre to me. Many had Mekhi Blackmon going much later in the draft, despite his actual performance on the field being elite. They graded players far less successful much higher and I cannot account for their logic other than it seems “group think” takes over and spoils actual evaluations. 
Blackmon was the number 2 corner on my board - that’s how much I disagree with the “experts”. I would have taken him in round one and not thought twice about it. We shall see how it goes, but I think we got an epic steal with him and now Pace. 
Our undrafted free agent signees look outstanding in my opinion.
Far to often fans and scouts get hung up on metrics and forget that the best way to evaluate a player is still the eyeball test.   If you can factor in conditions and opposing talent level its often a much better indicator of a players actual game than anything they can get from pro days or the combine.