Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Trade Rumors
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If the Vikings talked to the 49ers at the combine it was much more likely about Lance than it was about Cousins. People always want to throw Cousins in there because Shanahan loves him. But no 13-win team is going to trade their Pro Bowl QB for an unknown. But send a couple of picks for an unknown to develop under Cousins? I could see that.

Rumor has it the 49ers are asking for a 2nd and a 4th. It makes some sense. Spend big to move up for one of the QBs du jour this year (unlikely), stay put and take Hooker? Or spend small for one of the QBs du jour two years ago, who's actually three years younger than Hooker? Not a horrible idea.
I don’t like Lance, but could gey on board a 2nd, 4th type deal. 
Me too...

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If the Vikings talked to the 49ers at the combine it was much more likely about Lance than it was about Cousins. People always want to throw Cousins in there because Shanahan loves him. But no 13-win team is going to trade their Pro Bowl QB for an unknown. But send a couple of picks for an unknown to develop under Cousins? I could see that.

Rumor has it the 49ers are asking for a 2nd and a 4th. It makes some sense. Spend big to move up for one of the QBs du jour this year (unlikely), stay put and take Hooker? Or spend small for one of the QBs du jour two years ago, who's actually three years younger than Hooker? Not a horrible idea.
imo its to much,  if the niners thought he was worth a shit they wouldnt be giving up so soon on him.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

imo its to much,  if the niners thought he was worth a shit they wouldnt be giving up so soon on him.
I agree. WAY too soon to give up on this kid if you believe he can come around, should be a huge red flag. I remember you being one of the few that were down on Lance as a prospect when he came out because he didn't play enough college football.....looks like that was correct.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I agree. WAY too soon to give up on this kid if you believe he can come around, should be a huge red flag. I remember you being one of the few that were down on Lance as a prospect when he came out because he didn't play enough college football.....looks like that was correct.
That was part of my concern,   but the primary was his running to set up his pass,  I bang the table for mobility from a QB to be successful,   but that doesn't mean I want a running QB,  just one that doesn't stay in 1 spot in the pocket like KC does.  I never saw the arm talent from the few Lance highlights that went along with his gaudy numbers.  College teams feared his legs more than his arm and the coverage that he faced at ND showed that.

He is still a hell of an athletic kid and could maybe be something in the NFL,  but I think he is still a very raw player,  and I doubt he is a year away from starting.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

That was part of my concern,   but the primary was his running to set up his pass,  I bang the table for mobility from a QB to be successful,   but that doesn't mean I want a running QB,  just one that doesn't stay in 1 spot in the pocket like KC does.  I never saw the arm talent from the few Lance highlights that went along with his gaudy numbers.  College teams feared his legs more than his arm and the coverage that he faced at ND showed that.

He is still a hell of an athletic kid and could maybe be something in the NFL,  but I think he is still a very raw player,  and I doubt he is a year away from starting.
The allure for the 49'ers were either his good looks or Shanahan thought he could teach the kid to throw accurately and make good decisions to pair with his athleticism. 

He's a MN kid and I'd like to see him get a shot here. Maybe a 3rd and conditional 2nd or 4th depending on his progress sounds like a reasonable gamble. 

id be really excited to get rid of best or 2nd QB in the NFC, under any honest assessment, just to do it. seems a bit -whatever word im allowed to use to indicate the opposite of smart. 

but hey, we could bring in a 50% comp and more INT than TD type qb to complain about for the next 2-3 years. 

a guy you like is available in draft. take him. stash him for however long you think you need to. now, id consider that smart. 

Not sure show credible this account is, but apparently they've hit on a few things recently. I will say this about any potential swap - IF it were to come to fruition, SF would definitely have to add to that trade scenario. Sure, you're getting a kid with high upside, but he's barely played at all, including college, he's coming off a fractured ankle, and two years have already been shaved off his rookie deal. I also wonder how JJ would react to going from a guy in Cousins whose helped him set all types of records, to an unproven commodity.

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:
The #Vikings and #49ers have had preliminary discussions about a Kirk Cousins/Trey Lance swap.

The Vikings aren’t confident Cousins is capable of leading them to a Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the 49ers believe that Cousins could be the missing piece just as Stafford was for the #Rams.

The salary cap implications of a potential deal remain a hurdle.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
Not sure show credibluothis account is, but apparently they've hit on a few things recently. I will say this about any potential swap - IF it were to come to fruition, SF would definitely have to add to that trade scenario. Sure, you're getting a kid with high upside, but he's barely played at all, including college, he's coming off a fractured ankle, and two years have already been shaved off his rookie deal. I also wonder how JJ would react to going from a guy in Cousins whose helped him set all types of records, to an unproven commodity.

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:
The #Vikings and #49ers have had preliminary discussions about a Kirk Cousins/Trey Lance swap.

The Vikings aren’t confident Cousins is capable of leading them to a Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the 49ers believe that Cousins could be the missing piece just as Stafford was for the #Rams.

The salary cap implications of a potential deal remain a hurdle.

I think the odds Kirk gets traded hover somewhere around 1%, but I will say the narrative on this forum about "Jefferson would hate to be getting thrown to by (insert QB who's not Kirk)" is VASTLY overblown. JJ is a made guy. He's going to become the highest paid WR in the history of the NFL. Would he like to pad stats? Sure. But he's set regardless and by all indications is a team player. He seems smart enough to understand that finding a new QB is a solid longterm play.

I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to go after Lance for that
sweet rookie deal.  He’s already got 2 of
4 years on the books.  You’re going to
pay a ton for Kirk in 2023 ($48.5M) even if you trade him, unless you can
figure out how to renegotiate so that the 49ers eat a lot of it.  You’re basically getting one year of cap
savings in year 4, and then the 5th year option is a small discount.  I feel like I would rather draft a guy if
possible.  So it’s like a 1 or 1.5 year
window.  That said, you’re not locked in
with him for a long time, so you could be looking for another rookie to draft
in the meantime.

Kirk  for Lance has to have a lot of draft capital coming back with Lance.  And I'm not talking about late 3rd rounders either.   This move is essentially handing the niners a ring,  they need to pay for that ring.  I know kc is on an expensive deal,  but its one that is a bargain since the Vikings will still end up carrying most of that hit so that has to be worth something.   I wouldnt be surprised to hear that there is a deal on place for the niners first and its up to the Vikes to pull the trigger.  Would maybe explain why they redid his deal to lower the cap hit when they didnt need to yet.