Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears Trade #1
If I had to bet money today on who Carolina is taking, my money would be on Anthony Richardson...as crazy as that may sound. They were talking on NFL radio this evening about who they might take and Reich has always had big, sturdy bodied QB's. Josh McCown is the new QB coach there. I would almost be more floored if they took Bryce Young with the top pick. What better spot for a guy to land who has been compared to Cam Newton, then in Carolina? I would take CJ Stroud, who I think is the bar none best QB in this draft, but the alure and upside of Richardson might be too much to resist. Carolina has done their homework on him and it's no coincidence immediately following the Combine and Richardson's performance that they make the move up to #1

League insiders believe Panthers will draft C.J. Stroud with No. 1 pickYou don’t trade for the No. 1 overall pick without having an idea of where you’re going next. And it seems like some within the NFL also know where the Carolina Panthers are headed.
Shortly after the Panthers reached agreement on a blockbuster deal with the Chicago Bears for the 2023 NFL draft’s top overall selection, Joe Person of The Athletic reported that league insiders have a sense of who that selection will be. Person writes:
Quote:The party line from the team will be that [Frank] Reich and general manager Scott Fitterer will use the next seven weeks to evaluate which of the big four quarterbacks they want: C.J. Stroud, Bryce Young, Will Levis or Anthony Richardson. But league insiders believe it will be Stroud, who’s bigger than Young, more accurate than Richardson and more of a playmaker than Levis. Stroud put on a show of precision passing at the combine last week, and proved against Georgia in the College Football Playoff semifinals that he’s not afraid to leave the pocket when necessary. The Panthers passed on another Ohio State quarterback two years ago, taking Jaycee Horn at No. 8 when Fields was available.
https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/panthers-league-insiders-panthers-draft-cj-stroud-no-1-pick/

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I dont know that they likely know who that pick is just yet,  but they know they now control their own destiny,  the could always trade back down a pick or two if they decide their guy will still be there,  but they know for certain they wont lose who ever it is they really want.  this early I think this is more about control than the actual player.  
Pretty sure Carolina knows who they want.  You don't make that move up just to trade back.
They know who they want right now,  but they are buying the flexibility of taking him at 1,  or trading down a couple spots and taking him at another spot,  or changing their mind all together.  Point is they haven't bought a player yet,  but the control of who ever ends up the top player on their board. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I dont know that they likely know who that pick is just yet,  but they know they now control their own destiny,  the could always trade back down a pick or two if they decide their guy will still be there,  but they know for certain they wont lose who ever it is they really want.  this early I think this is more about control than the actual player.  
Pretty sure Carolina knows who they want.  You don't make that move up just to trade back.
They know who they want right now,  but they are buying the flexibility of taking him at 1,  or trading down a couple spots and taking him at another spot,  or changing their mind all together.  Point is they haven't bought a player yet,  but the control of who ever ends up the top player on their board. 
They aren't trading out of #1.  The Texans are going to take a QB @ 2, Arizona may trade out of #3 if a team wants to jump Indy (who also wants a QB) but they aren't moving up to #1 with Carolina. Arizona will just take the top non-QB at 3 if no teams call to come up there.  Carolina is staying #1 and taking whichever QB they want.  

So this year the Bears add

Pick #61 + DJ Moore

In '24 get Carolina's 1st

In '25 get Carlina's 2nd.

The Panthers send their best WR to Chicago, don't have a high enough draft pick to replace him, will start a rookie QB, stink all year, then send that top-10 1st to Chicago. 

The Bears absolutely fleeced Carolina. 

If the Bears can hit on these picks and Fields pans out, watch out. All still to be determined.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
If the Bears can hit on these picks and Fields pans out, watch out. All still to be determined.
Thats the hope in the Windy City...

Who'll have the best North roster in 2025?

Bears, Pack, Lions or Vikings???

Bears counting on Fields and all those draft picks. Pack on Lovie and potentially a truckload of draft choices trading Rogers.

Who knows who'll be QB'ing here or in Motown by then?  

Vikings will have to work hard and smart to keep competitive. Their #1 priority has to be QBOTF. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
If I had to bet money today on who Carolina is taking, my money would be on Anthony Richardson...as crazy as that may sound. They were talking on NFL radio this evening about who they might take and Reich has always had big, sturdy bodied QB's. Josh McCown is the new QB coach there. I would almost be more floored if they took Bryce Young with the top pick. What better spot for a guy to land who has been compared to Cam Newton, then in Carolina? I would take CJ Stroud, who I think is the bar none best QB in this draft, but the alure and upside of Richardson might be too much to resist. Carolina has done their homework on him and it's no coincidence immediately following the Combine and Richardson's performance that they make the move up to #1
That would be pretty ridiculous. From the 4th QB and borderline 2nd rounder due to extreme rawness to the #1 pick overall and ostensibly a day one starting QB in the NFL....due to some good numbers at the combine? Really hard to see. 

But ya know why the NFL keeps getting this shit wrong? For doing things like this. So you could be right. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
That would be pretty ridiculous. From the 4th QB and borderline 2nd rounder due to extreme rawness to the #1 pick overall and ostensibly a day one starting QB in the NFL....due to some good numbers at the combine? Really hard to see. 

But ya know why the NFL keeps getting this shit wrong? For doing things like this. So you could be right. 
Trey Lance 2.0,  way over drafted for what was there,  I am feeling the same way on Richardson.  All the athleticism you could want, but still raw as could be.  one difference was Richardson saw a much higher grade of competition than Lance did.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Happens every year as we both know. I can only see the pick being Stroud or Richardson, so we'll see...