Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z wants out
I have no problem with it since they can save a ton of money if he is released or traded.

He just wants to get out there before the legal tampering period begins on March 13. 

I cant be mad at him for that because the good money can dry up quick.

He is smart.  He sees the writing on the wall and wants to be treated fairly.

I think the Vikings are also being smart because they want to get a pick for him.

If they wait a bit, a team could get desperate but they also have to carry his cap hit.

Release, no.  Trade, I'm listening.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
This seems like an easy solution considering he would save us 12 million in cap space and we still need to cut 16 million before the deadline. The question on him coming in was health. He started the season like a ball of fire, got hurt, and finished out the last two months of the season including the playoffs with a whopping half a sack. 31 years old, yeah if we can't trade him...cut him. I'm imagining the Vikings are publicly stating they aren't cutting him to not lose any leverage in trade discussions. 
The Vikings have already made the decisions necessary to get under the cap, and probably another $15-$20M below. They obviously did all this without expecting to touch Z's contract, so he's part of their plans for 2023. Will they budge? They probably should...

https://twitter.com/PurpleForTheWin/stat...82145?s=20

Dont know who the real Z is anymore...The one who started last season or the one that finished it?

There was a big dropoff in play after that leg/knee injury. 

Those with kids in their 20’s will recognize this. Rugrats was one of my favorite shows to watch with them. 
Smith: I want to be released

Angelica: And I want a pony. You can't always get what you want.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
This seems like an easy solution considering he would save us 12 million in cap space and we still need to cut 16 million before the deadline. The question on him coming in was health. He started the season like a ball of fire, got hurt, and finished out the last two months of the season including the playoffs with a whopping half a sack. 31 years old, yeah if we can't trade him...cut him. I'm imagining the Vikings are publicly stating they aren't cutting him to not lose any leverage in trade discussions. 
The Vikings have already made the decisions necessary to get under the cap, and probably another $15-$20M below. They obviously did all this without expecting to touch Z's contract, so he's part of their plans for 2023. Will they budge? They probably should...

Z isn't anywhere in that stratosphere.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

In terms of money, no. But he did have more sacks and more pressures than everyone on that list not named Myles Garrett. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

In terms of money, no. But he did have more sacks and more pressures than everyone on that list not named Myles Garrett. 
Yes but the injury concerns with him once again reared it's ugly head and he was a complete non factor the last two months of the season. Combine that with his age and the fact we still need to make some difficult roster decisions, and I think it's an easy choice to cut him if we can't find a trade partner. It's time to get younger and this would be a move that makes sense 

Quote: @"Riphawkins" said:
Those with kids in their 20’s will recognize this. Rugrats was one of my favorite shows to watch with them. 

You learned it from the Rugrats. I learned it from the Rolling Stones!
It's a different age where nobody wants to honor the contract they signed. I hope they can come to some sort of compromise. But that's going to be difficult because of the salary cap. But I'm told the cap is a myth, so who knows?

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:

You learned it from the Rugrats. I learned it from the Rolling Stones!
It's a different age where nobody wants to honor the contract they signed. I hope they can come to some sort of compromise. But that's going to be difficult because of the salary cap. But I'm told the cap is a myth, so who knows?
What I learned from the Stones was, Sometimes you get what you need. Smith not being granted his release may be the best thing for him.

I just turned 60, so I know the Stones line well, it just wasn’t as funny as hearing Angelica say it. Lol

Contracts go both ways. Teams sign players fully aware of them not playing out that contract because it will cost to much in year 3 or 4. So, I don’t put this all on the players.

Agents however play that game. Sign a guy to a long term deal where payments escalate fully knowing they’ll never see then end of it. It makes the agent look good to his other and future clients. Eliminate that from the equation and players wouldn’t be upset about the deal they signed.