Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks for the memories, EK
Players come and go.  Nature of the business.  Thanks EK for giving your all for the Vikings!  You will be remembered and honored!  Best of luck for you and your family in all your future endeavors.

Thanks EK. Good luck except against the Vikings 

He was done. Was worried they would try to run it all back again.

One of my favorite players. Wishing EK nothing but the best in the future.

EK was a stud in Zimmer's 4-3, and was a big part of the Double A Gap pressure.  But he was miscast in the 3-4.  Good luck to him, he was always fun to watch.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
EK was a stud in Zimmer's 4-3, and was a big part of the Double A Gap pressure.  But he was miscast in the 3-4.  Good luck to him, he was always fun to watch.
Yeah everybody keeps thinking he "fell off" when the reality was he was never a good fit for a 3-4 defense. Like I said, I saw numerous times last season where lineman got a free release off the ball where we were playing two down lineman, got to the second level on the LB's and they were essentially taken out of a play. Everything, and I mean everything from the scheme to the pass coverages was beyond awful last season under Donatell. I expect Kendricks to bounce back next year on a new team running a scheme that better fits him. 

I’m not sure I can tell if he was miscast in a 3-4 vs nobody
having an instinctual understanding of what they were supposed to do because
Donatelle wasn’t great as a DC at implementing his defense.  I think Kendricks is a guy who depends so
much on reading things quickly and being the fastest reactor on the field, and
I think if he’s not able to read things quickly his more average level of speed
isn’t going to make up for it.  I’m
pretty skeptical that you could have put a generic fast LB into his spot last
year and there’d be any positive difference.
Regardless, he was a great contributor here and the locker
room will miss his presence.  That said,
we’re going to face no shortage of tough decisions in the next couple years,
and the more we have to get our young offensive studs long deals the more we’re
going to feel cramped in other areas.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"greediron" said:
Yeah everybody keeps thinking he "fell off" when the reality was he was never a good fit for a 3-4 defense. Like I said, I saw numerous times last season where lineman got a free release off the ball where we were playing two down lineman, got to the second level on the LB's and they were essentially taken out of a play. Everything, and I mean everything from the scheme to the pass coverages was beyond awful last season under Donatell. I expect Kendricks to bounce back next year on a new team running a scheme that better fits him. 
but yet he won the Butkus award in college playing in a 34 IIRC.

My favorite Viking defensive players since Winfield, I think he was the most talented defensive player we had and was totally not used correctly in the 3-4, would have brought in a 4-3 coach to take advantage of him and Hunter.  I am confident he will have a great year this year in a 4-3 and will show he is not declining.  Flores in, Kendricks out, the class and integrity of this defense has taken a dramatic hit.