Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen retiring a Viking?
Quote: @dadevike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
His market value is in the $6-8M range on a 1 year deal, probably closer to $6M. Vikings save $6.5M cutting his now but would have to add a player to the 53-man roster so that nets out to only saves them around $5.7M on the cap. There is probably enough momentum to get something done with the assumption Thielen isn't looking for above market value. 

Say they reduce his base salary down to $6M (market) guarantee and reduce his per game bonuses to $500K but then sweeten with a $1M incentive for reaching 725 yards in 2023 with another $500K if he reaches 1K yards. That gives him a chance to earn a good portion of the money back. On the cap that reduces his hit from $19.9M to 13.2M which actually saves them $300K more than cutting him pre June-1. 

Point is, I think it probably benefits the Vikings to work something out even if Thielen is more of a 2B receiver than the high-end WR2 he was in the past. By 2024 his dead money is only $7M which makes moving on a bit easier. The only real constraint they are working with this off-season is they can't really kick money into the future since they probably already did it one too many times. 
This seems right. But it also depends upon the parties have similar ideas re how much AT could get as a FA. The Vikings may be thinking we will not pay him more than, say, $8M and we know he can get $6M as a FA. So there is our negotiating window, low end $6M; top end $8M. But if AT thinks he can get at least $9M in FA, then they will not reach an agreement.

The point is that both parties need to have a similar view of what AT could get in FA.
I doubt MN has to be the best offer.  He has to look at the costs of moving his family to a new town, learn a new system on a team that wont be as forgiving for his declining athleticism, i am betting if his agent puts out some feelers for his value and the Vikings are even close then he stays here.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
His market value is in the $6-8M range on a 1 year deal, probably closer to $6M. Vikings save $6.5M cutting his now but would have to add a player to the 53-man roster so that nets out to only saves them around $5.7M on the cap. There is probably enough momentum to get something done with the assumption Thielen isn't looking for above market value. 

Say they reduce his base salary down to $6M (market) guarantee and reduce his per game bonuses to $500K but then sweeten with a $1M incentive for reaching 725 yards in 2023 with another $500K if he reaches 1K yards. That gives him a chance to earn a good portion of the money back. On the cap that reduces his hit from $19.9M to 13.2M which actually saves them $300K more than cutting him pre June-1. 

Point is, I think it probably benefits the Vikings to work something out even if Thielen is more of a 2B receiver than the high-end WR2 he was in the past. By 2024 his dead money is only $7M which makes moving on a bit easier. The only real constraint they are working with this off-season is they can't really kick money into the future since they probably already did it one too many times. 
This seems right. But it also depends upon the parties have similar ideas re how much AT could get as a FA. The Vikings may be thinking we will not pay him more than, say, $8M and we know he can get $6M as a FA. So there is our negotiating window, low end $6M; top end $8M. But if AT thinks he can get at least $9M in FA, then they will not reach an agreement.

The point is that both parties need to have a similar view of what AT could get in FA.
I doubt MN has to be the best offer.  He has to look at the costs of moving his family to a new town, learn a new system on a team that wont be as forgiving for his declining athleticism, i am betting if his agent puts out some feelers for his value and the Vikings are even close then he stays here.
There likely is some "discount" for Minnesota, but there is a limit to that. There is also  ego and feeling appreciated. The Vikings think I'm only worth $7M and Baltimore thinks I'm worth $9? I'll go where I am valued.

@dadevike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This is reasonable. At the combine they'll figure out what his market it outside of MN before making a decision. I just don't see teams lining up, but I could be wrong. 

@dadevike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

His wife and kids live in Florida sans when the kids are out of school. So I dont think moving the family is going to matter much. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This is reasonable. At the combine they'll figure out what his market it outside of MN before making a decision. I just don't see teams lining up, but I could be wrong. 
I don't either. He'll be 33 years old this year. 

I wouldn't think he needs the $ anymore...His kids and probably grandkids are set for life.  

Loved having him on the Vikings, a great local story. 

I just want a really good field stretcher to pair with JJ this year. I'm not losing sleep if Thielen is back or not. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

This sounds reasonable but the one thing that should be mentioned is that he has to know it is going to be his last year unless he takes even less in 2024.

If they do not do a 2 year deal, then he may want to check out the market.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I wouldn't think he needs the $ anymore...His kids and probably grandkids are set for life.  

Loved having him on the Vikings, a great local story. 

I just want a really good field stretcher to pair with JJ this year. I'm not losing sleep if Thielen is back or not. 
Has he really made that much,   after taxes and all?

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This sounds reasonable but the one thing that should be mentioned is that he has to know it is going to be his last year unless he takes even less in 2024.

This is a good point. I'm sure he'd love to retire a Viking but if he thinks he can play for 2-3 more years, and the Vikings are only offering what will amount to one more year, then he might be inclined to just rip the bandaid off now and split.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

This is a good point. I'm sure he'd love to retire a Viking but if he thinks he can play for 2-3 more years, and the Vikings are only offering what will amount to one more year, then he might be inclined to just rip the bandaid off now and split.
He's been around long enough to know that very few careers end on the players terms, that the business anyways seems to trump the emotional aspect.