Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential candidates for new D Coordinator

I'd take a really hard look at this guy. Has had some success at prior stops as a defensive line coach. Has prior coordinator experience under Ron Rivera in Carolina and is the senior defensive assistant/DL coach for a very good Bills defense. Very well spoken and I think could inject some juice into our stale defense and bring some sensibilities to whatever scheme we run. 

eric_washington.pdf (bufbills.com)

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I'd take a really hard look at this guy. Has had some success at prior stops as a defensive line coach. Has prior coordinator experience under Ron Rivera in Carolina and is the senior defensive assistant/DL coach for a very good Bills defense. Very well spoken and I think could inject some juice into our stale defense and bring some sensibilities to whatever scheme we run. 

eric_washington.pdf (bufbills.com)
I like Brian Flores. I think his lawsuit stuff and the cloud surrounding him has dissipated. He is a brilliant defensive mind and an excellent teacher. Although he does run a 3-4 scheme, it's unique and doesn't resemble anything like Donnatell's prevent shell defense. His legal stuff didn't seem to be an issue in Pittsburgh and Tomlin has said nothing but great things about him. He finished up an interview with the Falcons for their DC and I don't think enough time has passed for him to get consideration as a Head Coach again. He would be a great addition to KOC's staff so I hope he is on the radar and the Vikings act quickly to jump on some of these guys while they are available. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/who-replaces-ed-donatell-15-candidates-vikings-next-defensive-coordinator

Ravens assistant head coach/D-line coach Anthony Weaver
The Vikings interviewed Weaver last year and could look at him as an option again this time. A former player with the Ravens and Texans, he's been coaching in the NFL since 2012. Weaver was the Texans' DC in 2020 and has been in Baltimore for the last two years.

I think it could come down to Desai and Weaver since they both interviewed last year.

Quote: @TBro said:
I like Brian Flores. I think his lawsuit stuff and the cloud surrounding him has dissipated. He is a brilliant defensive mind and an excellent teacher. 
All the reports from Miami is that he was a completely horrible person to work with, that he had an enormous ego and he consistently belittled others including trashing Tua every day in practice.  Great teachers teach others with respect and that is not Flores.  In addition, his lawsuit is completely bogus, with no merit and hypocritical.  If you are going to sue the NFL for racism, maybe you shouldn't hire a law firm with an all white team and walk in with your white wife.  

I dont really care about scheme,  34 vs 43,  they can both be smothering and they can both be shit.  But what we really need is a coach that understands that their job is to make the opposing QB uncomfortable,  that doesn't have to come from hits or sacks,   but it does need to come from pressures and turn overs.   Sitting back in antiquated zone schemes,  or man by people not able to play sticky just won't get it done.  We can hire anybody we want to coach the D,  but its going to take some talent upgrades and a major energy boost to turn around one of the worst defenses from the last few years into something that will be able to contend with the best offenses in the league.

One thing I think we need is a LB or 2 that command respect.  Nobody fears or respects Hicks or Kendricks,  those are role guys.  Hunter amd Smith are ends,  whether their hand is in the dirt or not.  IMO we need an impact LB in the middle of the field to really put a stamp on a new defense.  A guy that gets home when sent on a blitz,  a guy that meets a 220 pound RB in the hole and wins the battles,  and a guy that crushes when he finishes his tackles. 

I dont think Flores would be a bad pick,  he seems like the kind of coach that instills fire.

Quote: @JR44 said:
@TBro said:
I like Brian Flores. I think his lawsuit stuff and the cloud surrounding him has dissipated. He is a brilliant defensive mind and an excellent teacher. 
All the reports from Miami is that he was a completely horrible person to work with, that he had an enormous ego and he consistently belittled others including trashing Tua every day in practice.  Great teachers teach others with respect and that is not Flores.  In addition, his lawsuit is completely bogus, with no merit and hypocritical.  If you are going to sue the NFL for racism, maybe you shouldn't hire a law firm with an all white team and walk in with your white wife.  

Yeah a quick google search about player chemistry, kinda gives Zimmer like picture.  Young players and Vets being treated differently and tough communication with the GM.  Just a quick look and I'm not as interested, too soon for a hardazz. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
@TBro said:
I don't know much about Flores, but I don't agree with the idea of your last sentence. The color of someone's skin does not necessarily determine whether you're racist. I know the critical race theory teaches that, but that doesn't make it true. Whether you have lighter skinned or darker skinned lawyers and a spouse should be irrelevant. 

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
@JR44 said:
@TBro said:
I don't know much about Flores, but I don't agree with the idea of your last sentence. The color of someone's skin does not necessarily determine whether you're racist. I know the critical race theory teaches that, but that doesn't make it true. Whether you have lighter skinned or darker skinned lawyers and a spouse should be irrelevant. 
I'm not going to pick sides on this one because as well all know, the NFL is going to protect itself at all costs, including throwing a Coach under the bus that is suing them. I can't imagine Tomlin allowing that kind of behavior on his staff, and there was zero mention all year of any special treatment of players, culture issues, etc. during his time in Pittsburgh. Not saying those things didn't happen in Miami, but I take what the NFL bought and paid for Media says with a grain of salt. Miami ownership and management has proven itself highly questionable  and unethical which is why they are losing a 1st and 3rd Round Draft Pick. Ultimately, has he learned something from his Miami experience, and is he a better person and coach from it. Vikings will have decide that.