Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This doesnt feel like other years does it?
There were some WTF moments/throws yesterday (same with Allen). 

Diff this year vs the last 4 is that he's making up for it with clutch plays

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Allen is a kid on a rookie deal,  I expect those from a younger QB (although he is getting to the point  where those should be getting eliminated otherwise they arent a learning thing,  they are just part of his game) but KC has been around long enough that some of that shit he is doing shouldnt be happening.  I am still of the notion that he is overwhelmed with the new scheme and when things get ratcheted up he is able to get  play and not think so much,  but once he settles down his brain starts getting in the way.

Quote: @Skodin said:
I would love, and believe we have the ability to go out and beat our next 3 opponents by 10 points+ each.  If we do, then will people believe?

I mean those special seasons, where we seemed unstoppable, it didn't work out so maybe a team like this is the one that does it.

LOL, it'd be nice to end a game without chewing off my fingernails for once.  So  yeah, a +10 point win would feel amazing.
I'm not doubting the team as one of the best.  But its certainly not like 98 when they were the best by a mile. 

Again, if the offense clicked?  Watch out.  The defense has absolutely improved all season.  The offense needs to start to do that on a more consistent basis.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Are the Vikings as complete a team as the undefeated Eagles? No. Minnesota doesn't have a dominant defense like the Dallas Cowboys or San Francisco 49ers. Cousins isn't Tom Brady, either.
But for all the flak that Cousins gets, he's a capable veteran quarterback. Cook and Jefferson are top-five options at their respective positions. The Vikings have an above-average offensive line. A pair of excellent pass-rushers in Za'Darius Smith and Danielle Hunter. An opportunistic defense that makes big plays when needed. And now the Vikings have demonstrated that they can go on the road and down a Super Bowl contender.
The Vikings might not be the best team in the NFL. Or even the best team in the NFC. But on Sunday, Minnesota served notice to the rest of the league.
Lets talk Cousins... WTF is with him this year?   He is having his worst year as a Viking...but at the same time the best year of the Vikings O, yesterday was possibly his most WTF game to date this year ( 2 fumbles and what should have been 3 picks if TJ hadnt taken the OPI in the endzone,  and those werent even football things,  they were just WTF moments).... but yet he turns around and looks like a future HOF QB a few minutes later.  We see him take off and run where he has to make a move or two and then doesnt get down,  but other times he has wide open lanes to gain chunk yards and he tries to force a pass into tight coverage.    I just dont know what to make of him this year.  

It could be worse. Cousins could be the reigning 2x in a row MVP and throw 3 redzone ints to a dog shit defense. All QBs have WTF moments.  Hell, look at Allen.  He's playing at an MVP level and he had several of his own yesterday that cost them the win.

@purplefaithful said:

Allen is a kid on a rookie deal,  I expect those from a younger QB (although he is getting to the point  where those should be getting eliminated otherwise they arent a learning thing,  they are just part of his game) but KC has been around long enough that some of that shit he is doing shouldnt be happening.  I am still of the notion that he is overwhelmed with the new scheme and when things get ratcheted up he is able to get  play and not think so much,  but once he settles down his brain starts getting in the way.
I think that's a fair assessment Jimmy...

KC is also a streaky player; When he is good he is very, very good and when he is bad? You know the old rhyme. 

The second int yesterday was a wtf moment - I think he thought that Bills player was a Viking receiver. 

I'll continue to hope his play helps us win most weeks and doesnt cost us. We dont win that game yesterday without him having some unbelievable, clutch throws. 

@purplefaithful said:
Are the Vikings as complete a team as the undefeated Eagles? No. Minnesota doesn't have a dominant defense like the Dallas Cowboys or San Francisco 49ers. Cousins isn't Tom Brady, either.
But for all the flak that Cousins gets, he's a capable veteran quarterback. Cook and Jefferson are top-five options at their respective positions. The Vikings have an above-average offensive line. A pair of excellent pass-rushers in Za'Darius Smith and Danielle Hunter. An opportunistic defense that makes big plays when needed. And now the Vikings have demonstrated that they can go on the road and down a Super Bowl contender.
The Vikings might not be the best team in the NFL. Or even the best team in the NFC. But on Sunday, Minnesota served notice to the rest of the league.
Lets talk Cousins... WTF is with him this year?   He is having his worst year as a Viking...but at the same time the best year of the Vikings O, yesterday was possibly his most WTF game to date this year ( 2 fumbles and what should have been 3 picks if TJ hadnt taken the OPI in the endzone,  and those werent even football things,  they were just WTF moments).... but yet he turns around and looks like a future HOF QB a few minutes later.  We see him take off and run where he has to make a move or two and then doesnt get down,  but other times he has wide open lanes to gain chunk yards and he tries to force a pass into tight coverage.    I just dont know what to make of him this year.  
He looked like the old, psyched out, big game Kirk until  about the fourth quarter. They showed a picture of him on the sidelines in the first quarter and he looked stressed out, almost scared.
He used to never recover from bad starts but has been getting better the last few years. This year he has been coming from behind quite a bit. 
He is not good under pressure. He is good when he is relaxed and plays loose.
He is winning more this year because his surrounding team is better and the defense has improved a bit recently and has played a big role in the last few games.
The O-line played a lot better against the Bills than the previous game although they had some bad moments against a good team.
Cousins is inconsistent but capable. He is playing winning football and I will take that over personal stats.
Plug that hole where Ingram lives and he should be even better. The team as a whole is pretty good and that's what Cousins needs.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
He looked like the old, psyched out, big game Kirk until  about the fourth quarter. They showed a picture of him on the sidelines in the first quarter and he looked stressed out, almost scared.
He used to never recover from bad starts but has been getting better the last few years. This year he has been coming from behind quite a bit. 
He is winning more this year because his surrounding team is better and the defense has improved a bit recently and has played a big role in the last few games.
The O-line played a lot better against the Bills than the previous game although they had some bad moments against a good team.
Cousins is inconsistent but capable. He is playing winning football and I will take that over personal stats.
Plug that hole where Ingram lives and he should be even better. The team as a whole is pretty good and that's what Cousins needs.
I keep asking myself why is this offense so inconsistent. Is it Cousins? Is it KOC and the play calling? Is it play execution. Just find it so puzzling that they look so good early in games then seem to completely disappear for long stretches until late in the 3rd and/or the 4th quarter. I am thrilled with the outcomes but keep wondering if it is sustainable if they don't figure out the obvious lulls in the offenses production.

Are the Vikings good?Sunday's win gave both sides ammunition for their argument. If you're a Vikings believer, you saw a team fight back against one of the NFL's best teams down 17 points in the second half and win. The Vikings overcame adversity, picked up big plays when they needed, forced two critical Allen interceptions and pulled out a game in which they were seen as underdogs on a national stage against Case Keenum, let alone an MVP candidate in Allen.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35021856/was-vikings-bills-best-game-nfl-season-explaining-ending-justin-jefferson-catch-josh-allen-struggles-kirk-cousins-rise
I am sorry, but at 8-1 that headline is just ridiculous.   Are they great, are they championship caliber, can they beat the eagles?  Those are legit questions, but are they good?  Just stupid.

On the road, they are down by multiple scores in the 3rd quarter and they rally back?  Allen didn't just gift them the ball, the Vikings made plays.  That goal line turnover was made by defensive players making plays.  Phillips submarined the center and made him snap the ball poorly.  

Yes Allen made some poor decisions, but the Viking D was there to capitalize on them.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@jargomcfargo said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
I keep asking myself why is this offense so inconsistent. Is it Cousins? Is it KOC and the play calling? Is it play execution. Just find it so puzzling that they look so good early in games then seem to completely disappear for long stretches until late in the 3rd and/or the 4th quarter. I am thrilled with the outcomes but keep wondering if it is sustainable if they don't figure out the obvious lulls in the offenses production.
thats where I am at... to start games they have  their scripted plays that obviously get more work in practice so there is little thinking required on the sideline on the field,  after that we see our huddles taking longer,  we are snapping the ball as the clock expires (sometimes a little late) or burning timeouts,  but once it becomes go time...all those things seem to get cleaned up or just worked through and they go...until the get a second to catch their breath and then its back to paralysis through analysis or whatever is taking place because they screw around again.  I am guessing its a bit of both,  or maybe KOC is scrambling to not call plays that he thinks might give his QB and other guys fits?  Either way,  they are winning games and playing good when it counts and that is the mark of good team.  We will likely still stumble a bit,  but 8 wins at the mid point is pretty damn remarkable with a new coaching staff and new schemes... just want to see the them have one of those ho-hum wins,  up by 2 or 3 scores at half and maintain that margin until its over.

I'm talking vs 98, 09, 17...

How they're doing it this year with this staff is just different. 

Lots of football left to play and we still have all 3 Divisional road games to play too. Not counting anything yet. 
The players have certainly bought in.  Just look at their big plays and watch stars making little contributions.

On Dalvin's TD, the O-line blocked it up great to get him to the second level.  But JJ blocks the safety and takes out the LB as well.

On JJs first big catch, TJ got down and blocked a guy to get more yards.

Dalvin stepping up and making some big blocks on other throws.  This team is fully bought in and that makes a huge difference.