Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AK Evans, #21 played like a stud filling in
6'-2" 198 lbs with a 4.46 40 time at the Combine.  Played in the SEC.  Might just be the SOD

Rookie cornerback Akayleb Evans’ first NFL start could come against one of the NFL’s most potent offenses. But he’s not worried.

Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said Monday that starting cornerback Cameron Dantzler is a “long shot” to play Sunday at Buffalo after suffering an ankle injury in last Sunday’s 20-17 win at Washington. That means Evans, a fourth-round draft pick who looked good in replacing Dantzler against the Commanders, is likely to be in the lineup.
“I feel great,” Evans said. “I feel like whatever opportunity, you have to take advantage of it, and that’s what the situation is now. If you prepare the way you should, I feel like you shouldn’t have fear in your heart. I feel like you have to trust your ability and your skill set and you put it to the test.”
The Bills rank first in the NFL in total offense and third in scoring. They feature stars in quarterback Josh Allen and former Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs, although Allen suffered an elbow injury on Sunday against the New York Jets. Head coach Sean McDermott said Monday that the Bills are “still evaluating” Allen’s injury. If he can’t play Sunday, former Vikings quarterback Case Keenum would start.

Dantzler was hurt against the Commanders on a second-quarter play in which he was penalized for an illegal block. He left the game after being in for the first 19 defensive plays. Evans played the final 45.
“It’s probably a long shot that (Dantzler is) available to us this week,” O’Connell said. “It’s kind of that week-to-week timetable, but I never say never with our sports performance staff.”
Evans looked good after replacing Dantzler against the Commanders. He broke up a pass and made two tackle for loss.
“Whenever the opportunity came, I felt like I was going to be prepared,” he said. “So I felt like I was ready for the moment.”
Evans gave credit to veteran Minnesota cornerback Patrick Peterson. He’s done film work with Peterson, including going to his house to study, and he expects that will continue this week.

“I was already talking with Pat Pete about watching film and dealing with him this week,” Evans said.
Evans, who said Peterson was his favorite NFL cornerback before he joined the Vikings, said the eight-time Pro Bowl selection has been invaluable in helping him with press technique, playing off receivers and a lot of “small things.”
The Vikings took Andrew Booth Jr. in the second round of the 2022 draft. However, Evans was listed ahead of Booth when the first depth chart came out in the preseason. Booth has battled injuries and is healthy now, but Evans remains ahead of him.
“The biggest thing that sticks out about him is his progression from day one when he got here to where he’s at now,” Vikings receiver Adam Thielen said. “It’s been a huge progression.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/11/07/with-vikings-cb-cameron-danztler-a-long-shot-for-sundays-game-rookie-akayleb-evans-ready-to-step-in/

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Rookie cornerback Akayleb Evans’ first NFL start could come against one of the NFL’s most potent offenses. But he’s not worried.

Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said Monday that starting cornerback Cameron Dantzler is a “long shot” to play Sunday at Buffalo after suffering an ankle injury in last Sunday’s 20-17 win at Washington. That means Evans, a fourth-round draft pick who looked good in replacing Dantzler against the Commanders, is likely to be in the lineup.
“I feel great,” Evans said. “I feel like whatever opportunity, you have to take advantage of it, and that’s what the situation is now. If you prepare the way you should, I feel like you shouldn’t have fear in your heart. I feel like you have to trust your ability and your skill set and you put it to the test.”
The Bills rank first in the NFL in total offense and third in scoring. They feature stars in quarterback Josh Allen and former Vikings wide receiver Stefon Diggs, although Allen suffered an elbow injury on Sunday against the New York Jets. Head coach Sean McDermott said Monday that the Bills are “still evaluating” Allen’s injury. If he can’t play Sunday, former Vikings quarterback Case Keenum would start.

Dantzler was hurt against the Commanders on a second-quarter play in which he was penalized for an illegal block. He left the game after being in for the first 19 defensive plays. Evans played the final 45.
“It’s probably a long shot that (Dantzler is) available to us this week,” O’Connell said. “It’s kind of that week-to-week timetable, but I never say never with our sports performance staff.”
Evans looked good after replacing Dantzler against the Commanders. He broke up a pass and made two tackle for loss.
“Whenever the opportunity came, I felt like I was going to be prepared,” he said. “So I felt like I was ready for the moment.”
Evans gave credit to veteran Minnesota cornerback Patrick Peterson. He’s done film work with Peterson, including going to his house to study, and he expects that will continue this week.

“I was already talking with Pat Pete about watching film and dealing with him this week,” Evans said.
Evans, who said Peterson was his favorite NFL cornerback before he joined the Vikings, said the eight-time Pro Bowl selection has been invaluable in helping him with press technique, playing off receivers and a lot of “small things.”
The Vikings took Andrew Booth Jr. in the second round of the 2022 draft. However, Evans was listed ahead of Booth when the first depth chart came out in the preseason. Booth has battled injuries and is healthy now, but Evans remains ahead of him.
“The biggest thing that sticks out about him is his progression from day one when he got here to where he’s at now,” Vikings receiver Adam Thielen said. “It’s been a huge progression.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/11/07/with-vikings-cb-cameron-danztler-a-long-shot-for-sundays-game-rookie-akayleb-evans-ready-to-step-in/
Well, if PP is having this effect on all the young DBs, then his hiring has been a huge success.  His play on the field has elevated in the last few weeks as well.

Quote: @greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:

Well, if PP is having this effect on all the young DBs, then his hiring has been a huge success.  His play on the field has elevated in the last few weeks as well.
It's amazing how much an effect PP can have . . 

Quote: @Skodin said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:

It's amazing how much an effect PP can have . . 
Sounds Kinky Smile

It's amazing how Booth Jr. is basically a forgotten man on this Defense. This would be the perfect opportunity for him to step in and make his presence felt. Instead, it's Evans who is making the most of this opportunity. If Ingram continues his downward spiral, the top 3 picks in this year's draft will look like an absolute failure at the hands of Kwesi's poor decisions. I still think that Cine is not a fit in this scheme and was going to struggle to find any playing time outside of Special Teams before his injury. Booth has just continued to be an oft injured/overrated and overhyped project. Now that he's healthy, he still isn't seeing the field. Ingram is probably our best hope of the 3, but he has regressed big time when you would think he would be making positive steps this deep into the season. Fortunately, we are winning without them/in spite of them.  

Quote: @TBro said:
It's amazing how Booth Jr. is basically a forgotten man on this Defense. This would be the perfect opportunity for him to step in and make his presence felt. Instead, it's Evans who is making the most of this opportunity. If Ingram continues his downward spiral, the top 3 picks in this year's draft will look like an absolute failure at the hands of Kwesi's poor decisions. I still think that Cine is not a fit in this scheme and was going to struggle to find any playing time outside of Special Teams before his injury. Booth has just continued to be an oft injured/overrated and overhyped project. Now that he's healthy, he still isn't seeing the field. Ingram is probably our best hope of the 3, but he has regressed big time when you would think he would be making positive steps this deep into the season. Fortunately, we are winning without them/in spite of them.  
I wonder if it more that being a rookie and missing time, he is just struggling to get reps and acclimate to the D?

I think Ingram will be fine, I would leave the line alone and let the unit grow and gel.

Lucky to have Evans playing so well, now he'll have the week to get 1st team reps. Another week for Booth to get up to speed. It could be SO much worse.

Quote: @TBro said:
Not sure why that's so surprising. Booth was hurt at the draft, he was hurt at OTAs and he was hurt in training camp. While Evans has been getting reps, Booth has been getting treatment. So I wouldn't expect much from him this season.

But his injury history was baked into his draft position. Probably the only reason he was available in the 2nd round. It's not like the Vikings weren't aware of that. 

Ingram, Asamoah and Evans look like pretty good picks right now. We'll have to wait on Cine and Booth. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
Not sure why that's so surprising. Booth was hurt at the draft, he was hurt at OTAs and he was hurt in training camp. While Evans has been getting reps, Booth has been getting treatment. So I wouldn't expect much from him this season.

But his injury history was baked into his draft position. Probably the only reason he was available in the 2nd round. It's not like the Vikings weren't aware of that. 

Ingram, Asamoah and Evans look like pretty good picks right now. We'll have to wait on Cine and Booth. 
I get that MB, we were all aware of his Double Hernia Surgery and why it dropped him in the draft. He also had a torn patella tendon, and knee tendinitis dating back to High School. He suffered an Ankle injury and Knee injury in preseason that resulted in him being deactivated in Week 1, and then a Quad injury in the Eagles game that caused him to sit for the next four weeks. That is an alarming injury history that I would label as "Chronic". I don't have any faith that he will be able to stay healthy because he has never proven he can. I guess I'm still bitter over the decision to move out of 12 when there were a ton of good players that could have helped our defense immediately. Cine is a great player, but not for this defense and 2 deep safety scheme we play. We don't use a box safety and that is what he is and why he couldn't beat out Bynum. He needs to play a role like Budda Baker which is exactly what he did at Georgia and why he was such a force.