Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blazing fast Dalvin Cook shows how irrelevant 40-yard dash times can be
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
He got chased down by a LBer who had a bad angle on his 33 yd. run. 
Actually, I thought there was no way anyone was going to catch him on that last run. I think he was getting gassed. But it's a damn fine game 1 imo. 

Clearly a tail-back for this generation of play...

Exactly what new NFL offenses need in a RB. Perfect fit for us and we are damn lucky he dropped. I am really glad we got away from the traditional RB system. I will miss Peterson but its just outdated.

Just saying, as a rookie on that last run there's no way Peterson gets run down from behind on that last run. It's not a knock on Cook. I'll happily take a guy with a more balanced game, that shows some patience, has vision, and can consistently get 5 yds. a carry, vs. a guy who runs into the backsides of his blockers 70% of the time, and gets the occasional long gainer. Peterson was exciting at times, he won some games for us, but was also very frustrating to watch at times.

Dalvin will be (is already?) very good.  He has more very good speed, adequate power, is a good receiver (that did not show up in game 1), has very good vision, excellent quickness / change of direction, and picks up the blitz as a rookie far better that Peterson ever has.  He may never be a hall of famer or a league MVP, but assuming he avoids injuries and off the field issues, this is one position we do not have to worry about for a few years.

As was mentioned many times around draft time, Cook is fast in pads. It really is amazing how big a difference there is. Murray ran a faster 40 time than Cook, but I'd bet Cook smokes him in pads. Not that it matters much. I'd say quickness and acceleration are bigger factors for a back. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
He got chased down by a LBer who had a bad angle on his 33 yd. run. 
Actually, I thought there was no way anyone was going to catch him on that last run. I think he was getting gassed. But it's a damn fine game 1 imo. 

Clearly a tail-back for this generation of play...
The two big runs that he broke were both to the outside, so he's running like 40-45 yards to gain 30 and the extra distance/time is enough to give the D a chance to catch him. With Peterson his big runs tended to be up the middle against a stacked D, so once he got past the first level there wasn't much left to stop. I do think that Cook will break some long TDs, but the frequency that Peterson could score 60-70 yard TDs was special.