Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings to get involved at the trade deadline?
Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

Of  the Vikings final 11 games, 6 are @ HOME.

Even if they go 5-6 to finish the season at 10-7  it's very unlikely their pick will be in the Top 20.
This exactly.  I would gladly trade a pick in the 20s (or 30s) for a Derrick Brown or a Brian Burns from Carolina.  Not only can you get a young player with a lot of upside, but you also push down the value of the pick you dealt.

LA has traded pretty much every first round pick they have had for the last decade and its worked out for them.

Get Brown and put him on the DL or get Burns and put Hunter on the DL.  Either way it's an upgrade in run stuffing and QB pressure

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Even if they go 5-6 to finish the season at 10-7  it's very unlikely their pick will be in the Top 20.
This exactly.  I would gladly trade a pick in the 20s (or 30s) for a Derrick Brown or a Brian Burns from Carolina.  Not only can you get a young player with a lot of upside, but you also push down the value of the pick you dealt.

LA has traded pretty much every first round pick they have had for the last decade and its worked out for them.

Get Brown and put him on the DL or get Burns and put Hunter on the DL.  Either way it's an upgrade in run stuffing and QB pressure
The hangup with this plan is that you're not only trading the 1st round pick, you've now iced yourself out of the QB market so you're also essentially committing to extending Cousins, once again with zero leverage. You now also have in a way punted the 2023 draft class considering how few picks we'd have left. Lastly, Burns is slated to make $16M next year. They'd definitely have to get him extended right away or else it could be an Ngakoue-esque disaster. For reference, $16M would be the second highest cap hit on the team if it were this season, and currently would be the 5th highest in 2023.
It can be done, but it's an "all-in" move. Does KAM think we're close enough to do that? I'll say maybe, but it's a tough call. We aren't the Yankees with an unlimited budget adding one more arm at the deadline or something like that. For the Vikings, it'd be a big risk. I do not think trading away a first is likely, but it's a new regime so I guess who knows.

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

This! I keep hearing about corner depth and backup tight ends. Fuck that. At 5-1, we're probably going to make the playoffs. So go for it. It's what the Rams did last year. At the trade deadline, they brought in Von Miller. Couple days later they signed OBJ. IOW, they went for it. And they won the Super Bowl. 

Derrick Brown or Brian Burns would be the kind of players I'd be looking at. Someone who can help take us over the top. They'll cost more in trade than Von Miller did (a 2nd and a 3rd), but there's a good reason for that. They're young, very good, and on rookie contracts. 

I "get" Von Miller. He was super expensive and 32 when the Broncos traded him. But I will never understand why teams "rebuild" by moving good, young, cheap players--but you know what they say about a fool and his money. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

The hangup with this plan is that you're not only trading the 1st round pick, you've now iced yourself out of the QB market so you're also essentially committing to extending Cousins, once again with zero leverage. You now also have in a way punted the 2023 draft class considering how few picks we'd have left. Lastly, Burns is slated to make $16M next year. They'd definitely have to get him extended right away or else it could be an Ngakoue-esque disaster. For reference, $16M would be the second highest cap hit on the team if it were this season, and currently would be the 5th highest in 2023.
It can be done, but it's an "all-in" move. Does KAM think we're close enough to do that? I'll say maybe, but it's a tough call. We aren't the Yankees with an unlimited budget adding one more arm at the deadline or something like that. For the Vikings, it'd be a big risk. I do not think trading away a first is likely, but it's a new regime so I guess who knows.
We aren't drafting a QB in the mid 20s-30s, if we are then you might as well blow this whole thing up because you'll have Cousins for another year regardless but need one year of 2nd year play to be competitive (2024) and at that point who is still on the roster??   You bring up a good point on Burns cap number which is why I think Brown is a better deal.  You would have some real strength up front with Brown-Phillips-Tomlinson.

I mean, the NFC is soft, you need to elevate the defense to be top 15 to win a super bowl and you are already 0-1 on first round picks (btw we dealt down regardless so pick location value might not be all that it is cracked up to be), I say go for it.  Swing a first for Brown and improve a defense that needs another beast up front.  You can keep him for 2023 as well so it's not all or nothing.

I like the idea of trading for younger players who already have experience and can play. Draft picks are fun on draft night, but as we know they are not sure things.

Winner ^^^^

I think the odds are against it but it seems like they might be making room for an addition. They currently have a roster spot open. 

Lotta buzz, mostly fake, but some serious, that the Vikings may want to bring in OBJ.

I'm for making a big move, but I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Vikings need defense, a run stopper, a pass rusher, a corner maybe....not another damn receiver. 

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
I like the idea of trading for younger players who already have experience and can play. Draft picks are fun on draft night, but as we know they are not sure things.
Its the lack of 4 years on a rookie deal that complicates this plan. Otherwise, absolutely. 

We talk about how long it takes players to reach their potential in new systems... maybe whoever we trade for can step right in and contribute,  but I have to think that first round pick would have more long term value as a draft pick then as a one or two year rental picked up at the trade deadline considering it will take most of that first year to get acclimated and most rookie deals are still a pretty good cap hit on the back end.

It would have to be a damn good fit at a definite position of need for me to get on board.