Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line getting some love
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@badgervike said:
The consensus on these boards has always been that we could achieve greatness with our playmakers if we only had a middle of the road Offensive Line.  I guess we'll find out.
Funny thing though is KIrk is having a pretty poor statistical start to the season for him.
I think the offense has sputtered along quite a bit this season.  They have scored when it matters, but they haven't been lights out for sure.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@badgervike said:
The consensus on these boards has always been that we could achieve greatness with our playmakers if we only had a middle of the road Offensive Line.  I guess we'll find out.
Funny thing though is KIrk is having a pretty poor statistical start to the season for him.
As we were repeatedly told on this and other Vikes boards about Cousins, the only stat the matters is wins. So it will be interesting to see how those posters handle things if the team continues to win and Cousins doesn't put up the numbers he has in the past. 

A new system for Cousins with no preseason action.   That's why he's known as Mr. October.  With all the new OCs he's had...it takes a while to get comfortable in the new system.  Most of the more recent changes in coordinators didn't involve a complete changeover of schemes...this one did.

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@badgervike said:
As we were repeatedly told on this and other Vikes boards about Cousins, the only stat the matters is wins. So it will be interesting to see how those posters handle things if the team continues to win and Cousins doesn't put up the numbers he has in the past. 
When the team was limping along playing 500 football,  his great stats were brought up as reason for paying him top QB money year after year insinuating that if the line were even mediocre that he would be worthy of that top tier money,   now that the line is playing up to a higher standard Kirk's play has lessened.  It's a new system so I  not burning crosses here,  just noting that he is playing pretty poorly (again for him) despite the players around him.

Sub 90 QBR,  TD to pick rstio is pretty bad,  and completion % is really low considering how low his yards per pass number is ( lots of safe short yardage throws bring that yardage number down,   but should be padding that completion % stat but it still is fairly low for KC.   
I expect this to improve,   but considering the best hes looked was against the packers week 1,  I am wondering if this new O may not be coming together for him like it should.  There are more yards and points in this O than what we are getting and that starts with him,  I think he is being overly reliant on JJ and is not really helping his OL out by moving the pocket or taking the escape lanes in the pass rush.   I dont see a team ever using a spy on Kirk,  but there are a lot of sacks and incompletions where he had LBs with their backs to him and 10 free yards and an open lane and he would take it.  If he ran a few or times a game that would keep the rushers more honest in their lanes and the LBs would be able to sink as deep and that would open that middle of the field back up so he would have to take as many checks for little to no yards. 

He's a better QB than what we've been seeing,  and this O could be top 5 if he is a little more comfortable and a little more willing to use those legs.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1...58913?s=20&t=Wcwg_7CNJrr9h52394taRA
No way did I expect such a complete reversal in his play.  Maybe it's something like the new coaching staff just simply told him he could wear cleats or turf shoes in games instead of the roller skates he'd be wearing in prior years? B)

Whatever it is, it's working - SKOL!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/1...58913?s=20&t=Wcwg_7CNJrr9h52394taRA
Well, hell...

If gpt they got the HC, QB and C right?

That would be a lot to celebrate. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Well, hell...

If gpt they got the HC, QB and C right?

That would be a lot to celebrate. 
I'm still not convinced they got the GM right though...

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@badgervike said:
I can only speak for myself, but I will NOT bag on Cousins this season if he keeps winning games for us in the 4th quarter like he has multiple times already this season. 

I haven't even looked at his season numbers yet, are they that bad? It feels different this year.  He's making big time throws routinely now, isn't taking bad sacks, etc.  As a guy who thought Kirk was the missing piece when we signed him...  to watching the Vikings look very Washington-esque with a bunch of .500 seasons and one playoff appearance the part couoke years, it was tough to back up that Kirk is a guy to keep building around.

Now, with a new coaching staff and a new Kirk...  the narrative is changing...  at least for me. He's made some big time throws in a lot of games this season and he's led 3 straight game winning drives to get us to 4-1?  THAT is what we pay him for, not fancy stats in a losing effort.

Like some have pointed out, this new Kirk probably started last year, but it was overshadowed by a poor defense (and bad situational coaching).  Now that we have O'Connell, it feels like at least the situational coaching is much better and that's the difference and Kirk is getting an opportunity to show this isn't Washington/early Vikings Kirk.

I like that.