Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings just cut Kellen Mond
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
Maybe some people wanna retract some Zimmer hate now?

huge miss by Spielman. He hit on a lot of 1st rounders and late rounders, but his undoing was missing so much in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 
His undoing had nothing to do with the draft. 
https://twitter.com/PaulCharchian/status...5467308033

I wouldn't be surprised to see him and JR on the ps

These coaches got to see a bunch of Mond on film, on the field and be in the film room with him too. I had hope for him as a fan - wishful thinking I guess. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:

huge miss by Spielman. He hit on a lot of 1st rounders and late rounders, but his undoing was missing so much in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 
His undoing had nothing to do with the draft. 
https://twitter.com/PaulCharchian/status...5467308033
Not sure what that's even supposed to mean. But so many evaluate drafts using anecdotal evidence. A big miss here, a big miss there, which is hugely misleading because they're all over everyone's draft boards. Every. Single. Team. That's why it's important to look at picks on balance, over time. That said...

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/156...41120?s=20&t=oQmmXAOmtC39YysCcxc3eA

Mond's inconsistent accuracy and decision-making marred his performance in three preseason games, in which he completed 29 of 51 passes (56.9%) for 303 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. He came off the bench in the second half of the preseason finale at Denver, where Mond didn't get much help from teammates who dropped four passes throughout the game.
"When Kellen came in, we just could not do much," head coach Kevin O'Connell said. "We had a few plays where we had a chance to make something happen and couldn't.

"https://www.startribune.com/vikings-roster-cuts-quarterback-kellen-mond/600202277/

Mannion better get cut as well.

ok saw Mannion was cut. I suppose he will still be rooming With Kirk on road trips.

Quote: @kmillard said:
ok saw Mannion was cut. I suppose he will still be rooming With Kirk on road trips.

Big spoon or little spoon?

Quote: @Bullazin said:

A 3rd flyer on a QB is not a huge miss by any measure.  After the first two rounds the likelihood of finding every starter, at any position, dips into single digits.  For a 3rd round QB I would venture to say that finding a viable backup QB is in the low single digits but if someone wants to criticize in hindsight that is what the board is for.  I will also add that Spelly was able to maneuver the two extra picks of what looks like two misses (Mond/Davis) and still get Darrisaw who I wanted at 14 and many pundits expected.  So, he missed on two picks but was able to parlay for  and still get the guy many of us wanted.  I also, always advocate for late round flyers at QB especially, which Spelly did not do often enough for my liking.  

The rest of the 2021 draft:
In Spielman's defense, Darrisaw looks like a potential future star, Bynum is currently a starter, and Nwangwu led the NFL in kick return touchdowns as a rookie. Jones and Smith-Marsette are intriguing young pieces, too. If Darrisaw reaches his potential, that alone is enough to make this a solid class.
Still, to have four third-round picks and whiff spectacularly on three of them is a tough pill to swallow. The Mond and Surratt picks were iffy at the time, and there have been rumors that Spielman went against the consensus of his scouting staff when taking Davis.

At least positive yards in the Mond video, lol!