Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick's Biggest Regret
he sucks and he needs to sell it more and not straight read from a card lol 

[Image: 6wbp7z0p8gqy.jpeg]

Zimmer was finally tracked down to respond...

Rick was fired based on his own merits.  He is a key participant in creating the toxic
culture.  When people aren’t talking to
each other, that’s two people who aren’t talking.  We all saw the team that was assembled in the
first 4 years that worked well under Zimmer. 
We saw a relatively happy Zimmer. 
We saw everyone saying how Minnesota was a place FAs wanted to go.  Great locker room culture.  Then we proceeded to see the opposite of that
team created.  We built an offensive
forward team and let the defense age, which ended up meaning we paid them a lot
to sit on the sideline injured.  He built
a team that wasn’t what Zimmer wanted or meshed with what he was successful
with.  He gave him an expensive QB he
didn’t want or respect.  From a pure
personnel standpoint, I think he was generally ok, but there was some big
mistakes.  Resigning Diggs only to see
him force his way out.  Resigning Barr.  Replacing Reiff and Remmers when they were some
of the only competent starters while ignoring the IOL.  Hugely suspect.  We could have had a competent OLine much
sooner if we kept Reiff and Remmers and just replaced the players that actually
sucked.  Ricks spent a tremendous amount
of draft capital to not have a good OLine, and conversely he hasn’t drafted a
good DLine prospect since Hunter was drafted. 
He has repeatedly failed to invest draft picks in a QB.  You win in this league with an elite QB.  He only drafted one decent QB prospect during
the Zimmer tenure.

He should have replaced Zimmer several years ago when he decided
to override Zimmers plan and go in a different direction.  Picking players that doesn’t fit your coaches
scheme/vision/ability is a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

That doesn’t absolve Zimmer of his contributions to the shitstorm,
because he certainly contributed, but it’s not like there was only one problem
and I think the Vikes got it right by getting rid of both of them.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
What he oughta regret is being cowed into it by his knucklehead coach.  Rick wouldn't stand up to Zim's bullying and it cost him... along with his mostly pathetic drafting.
Yep, that's exactly it. See below. Pretty easy to tell Zimmer was behind it.

Regarding "mostly pathetic drafting," that's just nonsense. The reason the Vikings are contenders this season, and chose not to rebuild, is not because of the players KAM brought it. It's because the core of a good team was already in place. A core built by Rick. It's because of drafting players like JJ, KJO, Dalvin, Irv, Darrisaw, Cleveland, O'Neill, Hunter, Kendricks, Dantzler, Bynum. Only two of those players were 1st rounders. KJO was a 5th, as was Diggs and Conklin. If that's "mostly pathetic drafting," I'll take another 10 years of it please. 

https://twitter.com/Str8_Cash_Homey/stat...45666?s=20&t=sBK3fEaG0FM9u0VqOoaTDw
Wait, wasn't Rick Zimmer's boss?  

Zimmer and the vikings couldn't go into the next game with a rookie kicker with no confidence.  The fan base would have screamed bloody murder if Carlson cost us another game.  We lost a game to the packers because of Carlson.

So what would you do?  sign a second kicker on a tight 53 man roster while you wait for Carlson to grow up?  Think many kickers would have signed on for that babysitting duty? Probably would have been the right move in hindsight.  But the GM tried to get cute and cut him thinking he could sign him back to the PS.  

If I were Rick, the biggest regret would have been the quarterbacks he never drafted.  Leaving Ponder, Teddy, Cousins as the only NFL ready QB on the roster.  Going with the extra coach in Shaun Hill, Mannion... rather than taking a chance in the draft.

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:
What he oughta regret is being cowed into it by his knucklehead coach.  Rick wouldn't stand up to Zim's bullying and it cost him... along with his mostly pathetic drafting.

Regarding "mostly pathetic drafting," that's just nonsense. The reason the Vikings are contenders this season, and chose not to rebuild, is not because of the players KAM brought it. It's because the core of a good team was already in place. A core built by Rick. It's because of drafting players like JJ, KJO, Dalvin, Irv, Darrisaw, Cleveland, O'Neill, Hunter, Kendricks, Dantzler, Bynum. Only two of those players were 1st rounders. KJO was a 5th, as was Diggs and Conklin. If that's "mostly pathetic drafting," I'll take another 10 years of it please. 

Zimmer and the vikings couldn't go into the next game with a rookie kicker with no confidence.  The fan base would have screamed bloody murder if Carlson cost us another game.  We lost a game to the packers because of Carlson.

So what would you do?  sign a second kicker on a tight 53 man roster while you wait for Carlson to grow up?  Think many kickers would have signed on for that babysitting duty? Probably would have been the right move in hindsight.  But the GM tried to get cute and cut him thinking he could sign him back to the PS.  

If I were Rick, the biggest regret would have been the quarterbacks he never drafted.  Leaving Ponder, Teddy, Cousins as the only NFL ready QB on the roster.  Going with the extra coach in Shaun Hill, Mannion... rather than taking a chance in the draft.
thats exactly what I would have done for a few weeks.  I would have kept Carlson on kick offs and then brought in a veteran kicker to take care of the XP and field goals as a mentor to young daniel.... it wouldnt have had to be for the whole season, but I wouldnt have cut a 5th round draft pick after only 2 games unless he was a complete fuck up of a person and got into major criminal trouble.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

thats exactly what I would have done for a few weeks.  I would have kept Carlson on kick offs and then brought in a veteran kicker to take care of the XP and field goals as a mentor to young daniel.... it wouldnt have had to be for the whole season, but I wouldnt have cut a 5th round draft pick after only 2 games unless he was a complete fuck up of a person and got into major criminal trouble.
So it was Rick that screwed up?  Everyone here is blaming zim, but who made the calls on the roster?  

In hindsight, everyone agrees.  At the time, it was probably a hasty decision that obviously Rick regrets.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@comet52 said:

It was clear at the time that Carlson was just the latest kicker whose psyche Zim managed to twist into a knot.  The fact he is very successful now with the Raiders shouldn't surprise anyone who is capable of paying attention to reality instead of dreaming their own delusions about it.

As for your perpetual fantasy about Rick's drafting, I'd put it on par with your summertime season win predictions over the last couple years.    If 15 years of "great" drafting produces next to nothing in terms of reaching a championship then maybe it's not as great as some think.   

Anyone seen Christian Ponder lately?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Yeah, if he is looking to be a YouTuber he's gotta work on his delivery...  Can't be flat like that, make it spicy lol
I don't think I made it 10 seconds - wow that was bad.

Quote: @medaille said:
Rick was fired based on his own merits.  He is a key participant in creating the toxic
culture.  When people aren’t talking to
each other, that’s two people who aren’t talking.  We all saw the team that was assembled in the
first 4 years that worked well under Zimmer. 
We saw a relatively happy Zimmer. 
We saw everyone saying how Minnesota was a place FAs wanted to go.  Great locker room culture.  Then we proceeded to see the opposite of that
team created.  We built an offensive
forward team and let the defense age, which ended up meaning we paid them a lot
to sit on the sideline injured.  He built
a team that wasn’t what Zimmer wanted or meshed with what he was successful
with.  He gave him an expensive QB he
didn’t want or respect.  From a pure
personnel standpoint, I think he was generally ok, but there was some big
mistakes.  Resigning Diggs only to see
him force his way out.  Resigning Barr.  Replacing Reiff and Remmers when they were some
of the only competent starters while ignoring the IOL.  Hugely suspect.  We could have had a competent OLine much
sooner if we kept Reiff and Remmers and just replaced the players that actually
sucked.  Ricks spent a tremendous amount
of draft capital to not have a good OLine, and conversely he hasn’t drafted a
good DLine prospect since Hunter was drafted. 
He has repeatedly failed to invest draft picks in a QB.  You win in this league with an elite QB.  He only drafted one decent QB prospect during
the Zimmer tenure.

He should have replaced Zimmer several years ago when he decided
to override Zimmers plan and go in a different direction.  Picking players that doesn’t fit your coaches
scheme/vision/ability is a huge waste of time for everyone involved.

That doesn’t absolve Zimmer of his contributions to the shitstorm,
because he certainly contributed, but it’s not like there was only one problem
and I think the Vikes got it right by getting rid of both of them.
This x100.