Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The name is Mond, Kellen Mond...
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Here's a list of the top backup QBs in the NFL. Interesting that 3 of the top 8, played in Minnesota at one time. 
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-n...acks-2022/

95% of them would not be available since teams are not likely to trade away their #2 just before the season. So very little hope for a Teddy or a Minshew or a Case. But there are a couple of situations that caught my eye....

1. Pittsburgh: Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, Kenny Pickett. 
Steelers just drafted Pickett in the 1st round. He'll likely be the starter at some point this year, putting Trubby in the backseat. Rudolph could be available. 

2. Seattle: Geno Smith, Drew Lock, Jacob Eason
Looks like Smith is winning the battle for QB1 between him and Lock. But Eason is probably a capable enough QB2. Plus, Seattle is tanking. I could see them moving Lock. 

3. Arizona: Murray, Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, Jarrett Guarantano
McCoy has a history with KOC and I've heard McSorley and Guarantana have been impressive in camp. This one might be the most likely. 
I don’t “hate-watch” tv shows because it seems like a colossal waste of time, but I’ll confess to “hate-clicking” this article just to see where Mannion ranked. Wasn’t disappointed. 

The swine is 31 out of 32 and #32 is Nate Sudfeld of the Niners, who is actually their 3rd stringer since Jimmy G is still on the team. Nice  Confused

Here's a list of the top backup QBs in the NFL. Interesting that 3 of the top 8, played in Minnesota at one time. 
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-n...acks-2022/

95% of them would not be available since teams are not likely to trade away their #2 just before the season. So very little hope for a Teddy or a Minshew or a Case. But there are a couple of situations that caught my eye....

1. Pittsburgh: Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, Kenny Pickett. 
Steelers just drafted Pickett in the 1st round. He'll likely be the starter at some point this year, putting Trubby in the backseat. Rudolph could be available. 

2. Seattle: Geno Smith, Drew Lock, Jacob Eason
Looks like Smith is winning the battle for QB1 between him and Lock. But Eason is probably a capable enough QB2. Plus, Seattle is tanking. I could see them moving Lock. 

3. Arizona: Murray, Colt McCoy, Trace McSorley, Jarrett Guarantano
McCoy has a history with KOC and I've heard McSorley and Guarantana have been impressive in camp. This one might be the most likely. 
1. Heineke
3. Bridgewater
8. Keenum

3 former Vikings (2 former starters) in the Top 10. Telling.

It's too bad about Heineke.  I believe he'd still be here as our (solid) backup if not for one drunken night..

Mr. Mond is going to get his shot later today. Not sure there'll be much to take out of it as its preseason and many starters won't be in, etc. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Mr. Mond is going to get his shot later today. Not sure there'll be much to take out of it as its preseason and many starters won't be in, etc. 
If he shines,  he's learning,  if he sucks,  plenty there as well.  I think preseason call give done pretty strong hints to a players development as long as you aren't looking at the results but more focused in the individual.  As a QB,  is he commanding the the huddle,  is he understanding the plays as they come into his helmet or is he looking confused,  does he direct traffic pre snap or call a timeout because guys aren't lined up right,  does he change things up when he reads the D or runs a bad play regardless,  does he move in the pocket and keep his eyes down field,   or just freak out and tuck the ball and try and escape mild pressure, is his play action clean and fluid,   or does he look like AD trying to catch a pass,  is his foot work good or us he not setting his feet or having happy feet.  How is the timing and ball placement?  Lots and lots to look at in preseason games IMO to determine if the kid is something to try and build around.

Vikings have a pretty long history of pretty good backup QBs from Gary Cuozzo thru Dils, Steve Bono, the rotating trio of Wade Wilson, Rich Gannon, and Sean Salisbury. Brad Johnson, Thigpen, Rosenfels, Frerotte, Cassel. 

Vikings have a pretty long history of pretty good backup QBs from Gary Cuozzo thru Dils, Steve Bono, the rotating trio of Wade Wilson, Rich Gannon, and Sean Salisbury. Brad Johnson, Thigpen, Rosenfels, Frerotte, Cassel. 
You forgot Horseshoe Keenum, he had arguably one of the best seasons of any Vikings QBs from the back up QB position.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
You forgot Horseshoe Keenum, he had arguably one of the best seasons of any Vikings QBs from the back up QB position.
Totally forgot about Keenum. Definitely one of the better backups we've had. 

Keenum currently 16/18, 192 yds, 1 TD and led another TD drive. I know it’s preseason but thems some nice #’s for a backup. Josh Allen looked great too. 

https://twitter.com/SamEkstrom/status/15...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fwtop8d%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse