Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A violent tragedy here in MN/WI
You be the judge...

The victims and Miu were all tubing down the river around 3:45 p.m., Sheriff Scott Knudson said. The attack happened just upstream from the Hwy. 35/64 bridge in Somerset Township, close to the Minnesota border and northeast of Stillwater.

According to the criminal complaint:
Miu ran up to several people and grabbed their tubes, a video recording of the encounter provided to law enforcement revealed. People in the group yelled at Miu to get away.
Miu walked around as if appearing to be looking for something, started to leave before turning around and saying something. More people converged on him and yelled for him to leave. He walked toward a woman, and people were heard saying "he was looking for little girls."
The crowd grew larger, and "it does appear that at least one person touched his shoulder" as people were on three sides of Miu at varying distances. Miu had the "opportunity ... to leave the confrontation," but did not, the complaint said.
While two women confronted him, Miu held a knife at his side with the blade exposed. Multiple people moved toward Miu and he fell backward into the water and was slapped in the face.
Miu got back on his feet and was shoved from behind by someone in swimming trunks who came at him again. Miu then stabbed the person wearing the trunks in the abdomen "while being shoved back in the water on his back."
As Miu stood up again, the shoving of Miu continued, and he responded with more stabbing motions and ran off.
Miu's wife, Sondra Miu, told law enforcement that she and her husband went to the river with two friends to ride tubes. She said her husband left the group to look for a cellphone that one of them had lost.
She said she saw people get off their tubes and start hitting him, but she did not see anything else. She said Miu told her that people grabbed the knife from him and swung it at him, and that they were accusing him of being a pedophile before attacking him.
Sondra Miu said she didn't think her husband "was there long enough to harm anyone," the charges read.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Even if the attacker is actually the victim here,  hes screwed.  
Yup.  The other side has the numbers, guess we shall see if their stories align.  That said, this reporting seems quite biased.  Nobody was quoted saying the old guy was a great guy loved by everyone and a beacon of the community.  
Its been reported locally what an accomplished engineer he was...I understand you wouldn't have seen that though not being one of us in the midwest. 

Again, we'll see if the truth can come out of this - there is supposedly video too.

So senseless. 

Fair enough.  Just dislike the reporting on a violent encounter that leads to a death, and inevitably someone is quoted about how wonderful the guy was, never would hurt anyone...

Sounds like a group of young people pushed around an old guy until he fought back and killed one of them.  What lead to that encounter, that is the story we don't know yet.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Yup.  The other side has the numbers, guess we shall see if their stories align.  That said, this reporting seems quite biased.  Nobody was quoted saying the old guy was a great guy loved by everyone and a beacon of the community.  
Its been reported locally what an accomplished engineer he was...I understand you wouldn't have seen that though not being one of us in the midwest. 

Again, we'll see if the truth can come out of this - there is supposedly video too.

So senseless. 

Fair enough.  Just dislike the reporting on a violent encounter that leads to a death, and inevitably someone is quoted about how wonderful the guy was, never would hurt anyone...

Sounds like a group of young people pushed around an old guy until he fought back and killed one of them.  What lead to that encounter, that is the story we don't know yet.  
People and the media typically speak kindly of the dead. Bizarre that it bothers you.

Maybe the full truth eventually comes out. In the meantime, your heroic take on Mui getting "pushed around and fighting back" sure is fun. 

there is a lot of this story that isnt being told,  the piece we see here dont add up to anything sensical by either side.... and where the fuck did all these knives come from?  who the hell carryies a damn knife when going tubing down a river?  this isnt the gulf,  we dont need to protect ourselves from alligators and other such shit.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
there is a lot of this story that isnt being told,  the piece we see here dont add up to anything sensical by either side.... and where the fuck did all these knives come from?  who the hell carryies a damn knife when going tubing down a river?  this isnt the gulf,  we dont need to protect ourselves from alligators and other such shit.
[Image: s-l500.png]

Never know what you might encounter...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So senseless. 

People and the media typically speak kindly of the dead. Bizarre that it bothers you.

Maybe the full truth eventually comes out. In the meantime, your heroic take on Mui getting "pushed around and fighting back" sure is fun. 
Speaking of bizarre, your take is noted.  As usual, anything not football related, your perspective is... well, a bit messed up.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Sheriff is saying it was a lethal combo of booze, summer heat and flared tempers...

Self defense or murder? Hopefully the real truth gets told. 

We'll see...Either way a family is burying a 17 year old that was going into his Sr year and a whole life ahead of him. 
Nothing good comes from booze

Nothing

Yet, cannabis and mushrooms are still illegal in most of America.

@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So senseless. 

Speaking of bizarre, your take is noted.  As usual, anything not football related, your perspective is... well, a bit messed up.
Take? I don't have a take. Just amused that you criticize the media for their account based only on witness testimony, then proceed to offer your own account based on....

Like I said, we don't know the full truth. Maybe your Dirty Harry, punk ass kids fucked around and found out narrative is spot on.  As an old guy myself, I kinda hope so!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So senseless. 

Take? I don't have a take. Just amused that you criticize the media for their account based only on witness testimony, then proceed to offer your own account based on....

Like I said, we don't know the full truth. Maybe your Dirty Harry, punk ass kids fucked around and found out narrative is spot on.  As an old guy myself, I kinda hope so!

If you actually read my response, I stated that we don't know what lead to that encounter, we don't know the whole story.

And if you read the criminal complaint from PF above, sounds about like what I said.  He got pushed around until he stabbed them.  Maybe read before responding like an ass.
Quote:While two women confronted him, Miu held a knife at his side with the blade exposed. Multiple people moved toward Miu and he fell backward into the water and was slapped in the face.
Miu got back on his feet and was shoved from behind by someone in swimming trunks who came at him again. Miu then stabbed the person wearing the trunks in the abdomen "while being shoved back in the water on his back."
As Miu stood up again, the shoving of Miu continued, and he responded with more stabbing motions and ran off.

@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:

So senseless. 

If you actually read my response, I stated that we don't know what lead to that encounter, we don't know the whole story.

And if you read the criminal complaint from PF above, sounds about like what I said.  He got pushed around until he stabbed them.  Maybe read before responding like an ass.
Quote:While two women confronted him, Miu held a knife at his side with the blade exposed. Multiple people moved toward Miu and he fell backward into the water and was slapped in the face.

Kinda skipped this part about the video

"Miu ran up to several people and grabbed their tubes, a video
recording of the encounter provided to law enforcement revealed. People
in the group yelled at Miu to get away.

Miu walked around as if
appearing to be looking for something, started to leave before turning
around and saying something. More people converged on him and yelled for
him to leave. He walked toward a woman, and people were heard saying
"he was looking for little girls.
""

What about the comment about looking for little girls, how would that go over with you and your buddies?