Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings bring back Rudy?
Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
Remember folks, we're talking about a TE2 here. And one who's actually a pretty decent blocker in a zone offense, a pillar of the community, and a very positive locker room influence. Just for comparison's sake, I looked it up. The Vikings assortment of TE2s last year (Herndon, Stocker and Ellefson) totaled 7 receptions for 83 yards and 1 TD. Combined. I think Rudy, even at his age, would probably double that by himself.

It's possible, though, that KOC is high on Mad Man Mundt, since he brought him over from the Rams. And Zach Davidson is an intriguing 2nd year player. 
Isn't it one of the reasons Rudy left is he didn't want to be utilized as a blocking TE?

Blocking TE? Or a backup TE? Probably one and the same. But I'm sure money had a lot to do with it too. Vikings certainly couldn't justify paying a TE2 the salary he could command on the market. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
Remember folks, we're talking about a TE2 here. And one who's actually a pretty decent blocker in a zone offense, a pillar of the community, and a very positive locker room influence. Just for comparison's sake, I looked it up. The Vikings assortment of TE2s last year (Herndon, Stocker and Ellefson) totaled 7 receptions for 83 yards and 1 TD. Combined. I think Rudy, even at his age, would probably double that by himself.

It's possible, though, that KOC is high on Mad Man Mundt, since he brought him over from the Rams. And Zach Davidson is an intriguing 2nd year player. 
Isn't it one of the reasons Rudy left is he didn't want to be utilized as a blocking TE?

Blocking TE? Or a backup TE? Probably one and the same. But I'm sure money had a lot to do with it too. Vikings certainly couldn't justify paying a TE2 the salary he could command on the market. 
If he was going to comamand big salary he’d already be commanding it.  we’re two weeks from Training camp there’s not a whole lot of 53 personnel left out there to be signed

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@MaroonBells said:

If he was going to comamand big salary he’d already be commanding it.  we’re two weeks from Training camp there’s not a whole lot of 53 personnel left out there to be signed
I was talking about last year. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
Culture addition yes, on field addition ehhhhh. For dirt cheap maybe but he’s really, really slow and won’t know the new offense. Idk. 
none of the players knew the new offense as of a few months ago,  I dont think it will be very difficult for a 10+ year vet to get up to speed on the offense if he is signed in time for training camp,  which is what he said he expects to do is be on a roster in time to start camp.

and despite his slowing down,  he is still a huge redzone mismatch.
Two TDs in two years… He might be cooked. If he’d agree to a tryout or team workout and the coaches liked what they saw then that could be a good move for both sides, but I’m not sure I’d write him a check sight unseen at this point.
Im gonna say,  maybe it was the team/offense he was playing with?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pattersaur said:
Culture addition yes, on field addition ehhhhh. For dirt cheap maybe but he’s really, really slow and won’t know the new offense. Idk. 
none of the players knew the new offense as of a few months ago,  I dont think it will be very difficult for a 10+ year vet to get up to speed on the offense if he is signed in time for training camp,  which is what he said he expects to do is be on a roster in time to start camp.

and despite his slowing down,  he is still a huge redzone mismatch.
Two TDs in two years… He might be cooked. If he’d agree to a tryout or team workout and the coaches liked what they saw then that could be a good move for both sides, but I’m not sure I’d write him a check sight unseen at this point.
Im gonna say,  maybe it was the team/offense he was playing with?
Well one of those years was with us so… yeah you’re probably right ha 

If the the price is reasonable I say yes. Good red zone target, decent blocker and definitely a class act with connections to Minnesota.

No.  

Meh. 

If for some ill-advised reason the Vikings are kicking the tires on former players, I think Barr and even Griffin would have more impact on gamedays than Rudy. Jmo. I’d take Suh over all of them.

Old slow stiff unproductive TE...pass.

Rudy's agent did his job, creating buzz where none actually exists.