Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Viking draft ever??
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Not hardly. Not even close. Guessing you're too young to remember Willie Offord? Michael Boireau? Dimmy Underwood? Dual 1st round duds Troy Williamson and Erasmus James? Derrick Alexander over Warren Sapp? These are just off the top of my head. 

These were picks that were puzzling the minute we took them. By comparison, Cine and Booth were good players at good value. 
Don't forget Christian Ponder -- I believe 7th overall pick.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Not the worst ever, but Kwesi better hope at least 2-3 guys pan out as starters (and Cine is better than Hamilton and Williams busts)... or he's going to be evaluating his own time horizon as GM of the Vikings.

I was surprised the Vikings did not take Hamilton and then equally surprised the Lions did not take him. 

Quote: @Cowskull said:
@MaroonBells said:
Not hardly. Not even close. Guessing you're too young to remember Willie Offord? Michael Boireau? Dimmy Underwood? Dual 1st round duds Troy Williamson and Erasmus James? Derrick Alexander over Warren Sapp? These are just off the top of my head. 

These were picks that were puzzling the minute we took them. By comparison, Cine and Booth were good players at good value. 
12th, but I sort of see QBs differently. The vast majority of them are busts. But when you need one you have to take your shot. 

Quote: k@MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:
Hey MB! I feel flattered you thought I was too young! I remember them all. As well as the later round draft picks we hit on. You are really well versed on draft picks, their strengths and weaknesses, our draft history— all of it.  And I give your posts weight because of that.  We are all of us, shooting from the hip now.  And my take is our draft seemed chaotic, unprepared, and we were swinging wildly. For KAM to say he couldn’t pass up Detroit’s offer? That simply makes no sense. And I don’t buy it.
Ha! No I was referring to the OP. I know you're an old dude like me, Ivar. :-)

I can't say they seemed unprepared since what they did (trade down big for a DB) was exactly what I wanted them to do, and exactly what I outlined in my "plan for the future" mock draft. Only difference is I would've held out for the '23 1st. 
im 55 years old. been a fan since i can remember. faint memories of my dad being pissed at losing to the Chiefs. Boom Boom Brown and Fred Cox were great friends with my God Father and i as a four year old met Carl Eller at a practice my dad and my bro and i were invited to attend- i say this only to state that the Vikings are in my DNA. Now, im probably an older dude just like u, but perhaps i am younger. Doesn’t matter anyways. Like you ive seen many a draft, and i think you are taking my overstating of hating this draft a bit too serious. over reacting is a long time fans right, lol! As i said in my statement, “probably not…..”. We wont know for a few years. And i agree with you on all the past brutal drafts. Im just pissed that we traded with our rivals and helped them out, that was the final point of my op 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
800-273-8255
not suicidal, though crossed my wifes mind. she laughed at your responds, lol! was pretty funny

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
k@MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:
Hey MB! I feel flattered you thought I was too young! I remember them all. As well as the later round draft picks we hit on. You are really well versed on draft picks, their strengths and weaknesses, our draft history— all of it.  And I give your posts weight because of that.  We are all of us, shooting from the hip now.  And my take is our draft seemed chaotic, unprepared, and we were swinging wildly. For KAM to say he couldn’t pass up Detroit’s offer? That simply makes no sense. And I don’t buy it.
Ha! No I was referring to the OP. I know you're an old dude like me, Ivar. :-)

I can't say they seemed unprepared since what they did (trade down big for a DB) was exactly what I wanted them to do, and exactly what I outlined in my "plan for the future" mock draft. Only difference is I would've held out for the '23 1st. 
im 55 years old. been a fan since i can remember. faint memories of my dad being pissed at losing to the Chiefs. Boom Boom Brown and Fred Cox were great friends with my God Father and i as a four year old met Carl Eller at a practice my dad and my bro and i were invited to attend- i say this only to state that the Vikings are in my DNA. Now, im probably an older dude just like u, but perhaps i am younger. Doesn’t matter anyways. Like you ive seen many a draft, and i think you are taking my overstating of hating this draft a bit too serious. over reacting is a long time fans right, lol! As i said in my statement, “probably not…..”. We wont know for a few years. And i agree with you on all the past brutal drafts. Im just pissed that we traded with our rivals and helped them out, that was the final point of my op 
We may have helped them out but maybe we didn't.  The Lions took a speed receiver recovering from a torn ACL.  Its a gamble he will recover his speed, the receiver the Packers got has a case of the drops which will absolutely piss off Rodgers unless he can fix that flaw in his game.  Kind of sounds like Troy Williamson.  Maybe with the upgrades to the Viking defense both in players and coaches that will tip the advantage to the Vikings.

I think it is the worst draft by far that I can remember in terms of managing the draft and maximizing the value of the picks.   With the 12th pick in the draft, you need to do much better than what we did with it.  I like the Booth picked and felt like we were going to pick it up after that, but taking the G with questionable character and trading next years 4th for a guy who would have been there a few picks later just seems like a guy with a big ego who thinks he is smarter than everyone else.  I don't see anyone after our first 2 picks having any kind of impact.  Instead of wasting picks, we could have taken a shot on Willis as it was a great opportunity to get someone to groom behind Cousins and do exactly what the Titans are doing. 

We should not be in a position of having to go through growing pains with an inexperienced GM, bring in an experienced guy who can come in and run a draft, not some guy who has no experience at doing it. I blame the Wilfs for this circus.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Cowskull said:
@MaroonBells said:

12th, but I sort of see QBs differently. The vast majority of them are busts. But when you need one you have to take your shot. 
Ponder was a horrible reach, no matter how you looked at it.  He never should have been in consideration there and I remember not thinking, but knowing it at the time.

The trade down from 12 was a massive screwup in value and we handed a top-10 talent to a division rival.  Then we trade with our biggest rival and gift-wrap them a WR when all they had was Sammy Watkins.  

But... worst ever?? Not. Even. Close.  I submit 2005.  Which I had the dubious pleasure of attending. Troy Williamson at #7 (80 catches in 3 seasons), Erasmus James at #19 (don't even ask) and an OT in the 2nd who never started.  That's your top 3 picks all busting.

Gotta throw 1971 in there. 15th round pick Jeff Wright pretty much all we had to show for that one...1990 with 9th rounder Terry Allen....