Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru Mock Draft 1.0
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@supafreak84 said:
I always appreciate your mocks, but man, I would be pretty disappointed with McDuffie and following that up with Drake Jackson. Nothing wrong with Jackson, but I think after signing Zadarius Smith we already have some intriguing backup or developmental options at that position in Wonnum, Willikes, Patrick Jones and Robinson. 

I do like Pierce, Strange and Barnes and see them as good fits. 
I find it interesting every year that the majority of the fan base fixates on one position and proclaims it as the major need.  The must have in the first round.  McDuffie is alright but I think he ultimately ends up at nickel. He was good at Washington for sure but who did he face? Last year they were pitiful and went 4-8.  They did not face any receiver that is going to get drafted.  The only time he faced players that got drafted was in 2019. Here are the results ....

Hawaii 2019Cedric Byrd II : 6 : 72 : 12.0 : 1
USC 2019Michael Pittman Jr. : 4 : 64 : 16.0 : 1 : 44Amon-Ra St. Brown : 5 : 31 : 6.2 : 0 : 8

Stanford 2019Simi Fehoko : 3 : 91 : 30.3 : 1 : 42
Oregon 2019Johnny Johnson III : 5 : 90 : 18.0 : 0 : 29
Colorado 2019Laviska Shenault Jr. : 7 : 100 : 14.3 : 1 : 39
... but you do not know if he was faced up against these players 3 years ago.

He has a lot of the traits you look for besides length. He does not have much production or NFL caliber receivers he had to face.

I'll take Roger McCreary.

McCteary’s arms are even shorter than McDuffie’s, 28 7/8’ vs 29 3/4”, guess he’s a “reach” too… 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@supafreak84 said:
I always appreciate your mocks, but man, I would be pretty disappointed with McDuffie and following that up with Drake Jackson. Nothing wrong with Jackson, but I think after signing Zadarius Smith we already have some intriguing backup or developmental options at that position in Wonnum, Willikes, Patrick Jones and Robinson. 

I find it interesting every year that the majority of the fan base fixates on one position and proclaims it as the major need.  The must have in the first round.  McDuffie is alright but I think he ultimately ends up at nickel. He was good at Washington for sure but who did he face? Last year they were pitiful and went 4-8.  They did not face any receiver that is going to get drafted.  The only time he faced players that got drafted was in 2019. Here are the results ....

USC 2019Michael Pittman Jr. : 4 : 64 : 16.0 : 1 : 44Amon-Ra St. Brown : 5 : 31 : 6.2 : 0 : 8

He has a lot of the traits you look for besides length. He does not have much production or NFL caliber receivers he had to face.

McCteary’s arms are even shorter than McDuffie’s, 28 7/8’ vs 29 3/4”, guess he’s a “reach” too… 
Or lack thereof.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Thx Geoff! 

Be hard to complain about moving down and nabbing McDuffie and some mid-tiers...

I'd have gotten more excited about moving-up for Stingley though  Wink
Stingley has some wow factor, but he also has some bust factor. I'll admit I'd be excited about Stingley too, but also a little nervous. McDuffie is the safer pick. And it's not like there aren't well respected draft observers who actually have McDuffie ranked ahead of DSJ. 
Something to think about.... last year Greg Newsome was very talented but had durability concerns. The Browns took him and now he look like a Pro Bowler. Wonder if that would make Stingley look more attractive to Kwesi. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Knucklehead said:
Are you hearing that the Saints are looking to move up? Because after trading a 3rd & 7th to the Eagles & given their future Cap liabilities, I would think that they would want to hold onto as many of their remaining picks as they can.
Yeah I don’t know a ton about the college players but this was my thought as well. I know it’s a mock but I don’t see New Orleans being able to afford to move up. I guess if they fall in love with a QB maaaybe. 
They still have a slew of mid-round picks. They moved up to select an O-lineman and WR. Whether it be the Saints or another team, Vikings are in a prime spot to move back for a WR or O-line hungry team. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Thx Geoff! 

Be hard to complain about moving down and nabbing McDuffie and some mid-tiers...

I'd have gotten more excited about moving-up for Stingley though  Wink
Stingley has some wow factor, but he also has some bust factor. I'll admit I'd be excited about Stingley too, but also a little nervous. McDuffie is the safer pick. And it's not like there aren't well respected draft observers who actually have McDuffie ranked ahead of DSJ. 
Something to think about.... last year Greg Newsome was very talented but had durability concerns. The Browns took him and now he look like a Pro Bowler. Wonder if that would make Stingley look more attractive to Kwesi. 
Actually, durability is not what concerns me about Stingley. He got hurt, he's healthy now, nothing to see here. The minute you start dinging players who got hurt, players who've never been hurt get hurt. 

From what I've been reading, there are effort and tackling concerns with Stingley. But all of these guys are flawed. Sauce struggles in off. Stingley slides off tackles, McDuffie has short arms. Still, all three of these guys are worthy of the 12th pick in the draft IMO.

But I agree about Kwesi. A successful gamble one year makes you more willing to gamble the next. 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@supafreak84 said:

Better not take either to dinner because they'll use those alligator arms trying to reach for their wallets.