Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD on dismal rook season..
Call me crazy but I think Zimmer wanted to do whatever he could to make a mockery of the 3 offensive draft picks taken in the first three rounds. I think he wanted to draft all defense and had it out for Mond, Davis, and maybe Darrisaw. Could be wrong but based on whats come out about Zimmer it wouldnt surprise me.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
Call me crazy but I think Zimmer wanted to do whatever he could to make a mockery of the 3 offensive draft picks taken in the first three rounds. I think he wanted to draft all defense and had it out for Mond, Davis, and maybe Darrisaw. Could be wrong but based on whats come out about Zimmer it wouldnt surprise me.
Hoisted by his own petard, if so. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
KJ Osborne did jack squat as a rookie and then all offseason was posting on IG his workouts, training with Jefferson, others. It gave me a lot of hope and he paid it off and then some last year.
Wyatt Davis could absolutely do the same. At the very least this stuff is encouraging to hear him say. Now time for him to put in the work. 
For sure it's possible. And MB is pretty good at spotting talent. I just think most times that when you come into the league and you don't do squat your rookie year, don't play when Udoh was struggling and needed to be replaced, and I hear this 'out of shape' stuff from the player, it just means they aren't good. Rookie OGs start and play all the time around the league. Easiest spot on the line to learn. Obviously you aren't going to give up on a 3rd round pick already. 
Whispers were he had a difficult time with playbook, attitude - and out of shape. Not a good trifecta and he got deep in the doghouse.

We'll see if a new regime can help jump-start him. ITs about a bad a start as you could imagine outside of a major injury. I dont think his Packer grandpa was too proud of how this kids NFL start went down. 

The whispers about a difficult time with the playbook could be overblown and an excuse as to why he never saw the field.  Ohio State runs a zone blocking scheme so it shouldn't be that much different than the one he played in college.  Most college players over the course of their careers should be exposed to different schemes and be able to adapt unless they are complete idiots.  As to why he never saw an offensive snap other than special teams, well Zimmer was rigid and deliberate about his way so maybe Davis just got off on the wrong foot in OTA's and was never able to get out of Zimmer hell, wouldn't be the first player that happened to.

This is just one take of the OG's from that draft:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/prospect-ra...sive-guard

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
The whispers about a difficult time with the playbook could be overblown and an excuse as to why he never saw the field.  Ohio State runs a zone blocking scheme so it shouldn't be that much different than the one he played in college.  Most college players over the course of their careers should be exposed to different schemes and be able to adapt unless they are complete idiots.  As to why he never saw an offensive snap other than special teams, well Zimmer was rigid and deliberate about his way so maybe Davis just got off on the wrong foot in OTA's and was never able to get out of Zimmer hell, wouldn't be the first player that happened to.
I feel like the offensive line has been under coached for years going back into the Childress era. I think that more than anything can fix the line when you have all the early draft capital that the Vikings have to work with.

FWIW,

If you listen to Alex Boone, he'd say the Vikings lack veteran experience, skill and moxie on the OL. They're too young from RT to LT.

Plus he kinda took this new generation of player to task for playing too soft. 

There is probably some truth to what he says.

Having a league avg veteran of an OG and or C probably would have served us well the last few years. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
FWIW,

If you listen to Alex Boone, he'd say the Vikings lack veteran experience, skill and moxie on the OL. They're too young from RT to LT.

Plus he kinda took this new generation of player to task for playing too soft. 

There is probably some truth to what he says.

Having a league avg veteran of an OG and or C probably would have served us well the last few years. 
Agree. The pedigree is there. They're just ridiculously young. The best lines in the NFL are typically a mix of youth, veterans, high picks and low picks. Like I said, not sure there's a line in the NFL that can boast two 1sts, two 2nds and a 3rd. But the OLDEST is 26 years old. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Its interesting and all but losing 15 lbs is going to make him a starter when he didn't get a sniff last year? Doubtful. The more probable thing is the guy will probably be cut at some point either next season or the year after. 
It's not the weight. It's being out of shape. And knowing Zimmer, his lack of paying time was likely more punishment/incentive than talent related. 
I don't know. Not usually how good players start their careers. He'd be an outlier in that way if he succeeds. That's giving Davis a lot of benefit of the doubt that being out of shape and some kind of punishment by Zimmer are the reasons he didn't sniff the field. He was also mostly considered a possible 1st round draft pick that ended up making it to the 3rd round, so obviously other teams saw something that gave them pause. I obviously hope he turns out to be a player, but the odds are against it.
I think you're pretty far off on your odds. He came in out of shape and was sidelined because of it. It's certainly not the first time that's happened, even among Viking rookies. Even before Zimmer. 

Obviously we don't know what kind of player he'll be, but I would say that, based on the report above, he's on the right track. And getting some contribution from the former 5-star recruit, 2-time All American and 3rd round draft pick in his 2nd season is just a TEEENSY bit more likely than the Vikings cutting him. 
Some players have internal motivation, some need a kick in the pants.  Seems he needed the kick.  We shall see if he can transform himself and stay motivated.  But it certainly isn't unheard of that a player didn't quite grasp how much it takes to succeed at the pro level.