Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyler Throws a Tantrum
Quote: @VikingOracle said:
Keep this in mind -- Kyler Murray grew up a Vikings fan.  Would you make a Cousins - Murray trade?
Nope...but it has practically nothing to do with Cousins.

We hung with Arizona until the latest in our heartbreaking missed kick series killed our efforts, so I don't pine for their offense vs ours...but instead, what I've noticed is that Murray looked worse in important games, looked bad as things got closer to playoff time.  He's still a very good QB who likely has amazing potential...but I don't see mental toughness as much as I see a kid who's willing to take risks and his supporting cast has helped reward many of them.

That works in streaks, but...well, how many rings did Favre end up with in a two decade career?

Keep this in mind -- Kyler Murray grew up a Vikings fan.  Would you make a Cousins - Murray trade?
It's an intriguing scenario....

Does Murray have more upside here with O'Connell vs The Capt'n is how I internalize it...

Then of course the cap considerations. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@VikingOracle said:
It's an intriguing scenario....

Does Murray have more upside here with O'Connell vs The Capt'n is how I internalize it...

Then of course the cap considerations. 

Murray would have quite a bit more upside here than in the desert. Just not sure how much of an upgrade this is. The running, the mobility, sure. But as a passer, this is definitely a downgrade. And in a year you'll be paying him more than you're paying Kirk Cousins.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

We hung with Arizona until the latest in our heartbreaking missed kick series killed our efforts, so I don't pine for their offense vs ours...but instead, what I've noticed is that Murray looked worse in important games, looked bad as things got closer to playoff time.  He's still a very good QB who likely has amazing potential...but I don't see mental toughness as much as I see a kid who's willing to take risks and his supporting cast has helped reward many of them.

That works in streaks, but...well, how many rings did Favre end up with in a two decade career?
if you are trying to convince me its a bad idea... you failed.   
I dont care if he is a mental pussy,  if he got us 1 ring in his career...well thats better than any other QB has done for the franchise in over 60 years.  we cant get our 2nd until we get our first.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

I dont care if he is a mental pussy,  if he got us 1 ring in his career...well thats better than any other QB has done for the franchise in over 60 years.  we cant get our 2nd until we get our first.
And in Cousins I see too many 3rd down check downs short of the sticks.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

Name a QB who doesn't do this. This is my biggest pet peeve about football fans. So many complain about an 8 yard pass on 3rd and 12, when the truth is that, on 3rd down, the defense is stacked at the sticks. Sometimes your best hope of converting is throwing short of the sticks and hoping your guy can break through. It's not that QBs and OCs don't know where the marker is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@VikingOracle said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

Name a QB who doesn't do this. This is my biggest pet peeve about football fans. So many complain about an 8 yard pass on 3rd and 12, when the truth is that, on 3rd down, the defense is stacked at the sticks. Sometimes your best hope of converting is throwing short of the sticks and hoping your guy can break through. It's not that QBs and OCs don't know where the marker is. 
what has greater success at moving the chains... a dump off short of the sticks or a pass past the first down marker?  yes all QBs do it from time to time if there is nothing else available after going through their progressions,   In many instances Cousins makes it look like its a design of the play to hit the check down first.

I like Murry. I think he is a winner. Probably making a power play to get a big contract. He is currently eligible for a new contract. Will get 11 million next year. There are trade rumors. Not sure how reliable they are. 

@VikingOracle said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

You are absolutely right about football fans, I plead guilty as charged.  That being said, Ham as a check down on 3rd and long is poor play design.  One of my biggest gripe about Cousins is he doesn't do a great job of adjusting his risk tolerance for particular game situations.

@VikingOracle said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
@VikingOracle said:

Or they run a draw.  Because it has a better chance that most any deep throw on 3rd and 12 when the D knows it.  And even if it fails to move the chains, it gains decent yards in field position.