Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Stafford Can Do It
This team is way more behind the Rams than just a player or two or three.  Then you can add the coaching.  Zimmer (his staff) was about average as you can get while McVay (his staff) is looking as good as it gets.  

Let's see what a new coaching staff can accomplish in one year in terms of overall coaching and in getting those 3+ players.  

Cousins is not why we are out of the playoffs and a championship caliber team. I don’t understand how this is so difficult for people to get their heads around. I get that it is easier to blame one person from an emotional standpoint. However, an objective look at what is wrong with our team clearly shows the defense as the reason we consistently lost close games all year. They were truly bad and we had a coach who refused to play the superior players (Breeland over Dantzler) or bring out a team prepared to play at a high level. 
The San Francisco 49ers led by Cousins this year is likely a Super Bowl favorite. Unfortunately for them, they had a QB who routinely made bonehead plays that risked their games and it finally caught up with them. Cousins can win a championship, but he has to play on a balanced team (like every other QB). Like Stafford until now, he hasn’t been afforded that luxury.
For whatever reason, it seems like many Viking fans really struggle to appreciate what they have. As for me, if a coach and GM cannot win with a QB who performs like Cousins, they are the problem and thank god the ownership finally caught on to that. Cousins is far from perfect, but he’s plenty good enough to be playing in a Super Bowl. Cousins and our offensive skill position players are all more than capable. They just need some help from the other side. 
The one legit complaint regarding Cousins is that contract. He has to be willing to be in it for the team and sign a deal that is compatible with putting together a winning combination. If he does, there’s no reason why this team isn’t competitive next year. If the coaches and GM are worth a shit, this is not a difficult turnaround. 

And opposing DBs that can't catch.  

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
Cousins is not why we are out of the playoffs and a championship caliber team. I don’t understand how this is so difficult for people to get their heads around. I get that it is easier to blame one person from an emotional standpoint. However, an objective look at what is wrong with our team clearly shows the defense as the reason we consistently lost close games all year. They were truly bad and we had a coach who refused to play the superior players (Breeland over Dantzler) or bring out a team prepared to play at a high level. 
The San Francisco 49ers led by Cousins this year is likely a Super Bowl favorite. Unfortunately for them, they had a QB who routinely made bonehead plays that risked their games and it finally caught up with them. Cousins can win a championship, but he has to play on a balanced team (like every other QB). Like Stafford until now, he hasn’t been afforded that luxury.
For whatever reason, it seems like many Viking fans really struggle to appreciate what they have. As for me, if a coach and GM cannot win with a QB who performs like Cousins, they are the problem and thank god the ownership finally caught on to that. Cousins is far from perfect, but he’s plenty good enough to be playing in a Super Bowl. Cousins and our offensive skill position players are all more than capable. They just need some help from the other side. 
The one legit complaint regarding Cousins is that contract. He has to be willing to be in it for the team and sign a deal that is compatible with putting together a winning combination. If he does, there’s no reason why this team isn’t competitive next year. If the coaches and GM are worth a shit, this is not a difficult turnaround. 
to date KC has been unwilling to offer any discounts,  why would he now, especially since the guy that brought him to Minny is no longer in the picture and everybody knows that the new guys are going to be working hard at finding his replacement.  Kirk has stated that he owes it to the union and other QBs to push the salary ceiling when he has the chance.  I just dont think he is suddenly going to get rid of his mercenary mentality and start doing what is best for the team.... sure you try and get him into a deal that gives you some relief this year as well as a manageable average each year after this... but lets be honest,  this is his last chance for a big pay day... he isnt likely to change now.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Havoc1649 said:
to date KC has been unwilling to offer any discounts,  why would he now, especially since the guy that brought him to Minny is no longer in the picture and everybody knows that the new guys are going to be working hard at finding his replacement.  Kirk has stated that he owes it to the union and other QBs to push the salary ceiling when he has the chance.  I just dont think he is suddenly going to get rid of his mercenary mentality and start doing what is best for the team.... sure you try and get him into a deal that gives you some relief this year as well as a manageable average each year after this... but lets be honest,  this is his last chance for a big pay day... he isnt likely to change now.

I dont begrudge the players for trying to make the most $$$ they can - especially in a short career game. 

I think he'll be open to a more team friendly contract myself. 

We'll see if the new GM/HC combo even want him around? I can't imagine they wouldn't want that kinda production with the right cap #. And want him around until they find kid qb of tomorrow. 

For all the reasons, we should be talking to SF about trading Kirk for Lance right now.  No additional picks, definitely some cap relief plus someone will be a taker of Jimmy G so they will get their guy, compensation, and not have to give up anymore additional draft capital.

We want a young QB to build around that has the capability of being a superstar on the right squad early in his career.  I would love the Lance-Cook-Kene-Jets-KJ-Irv future with Adam, Conklin, and Mattison around in 2022.  That could be dynamic and would give cap flexibility plus picks to address a DE opposite Hunter, a CB (Sauce) opposite Peterson, and a playmaking LB to pair with Kendricks.

EXACTLY!  Cousins has made in the neighborhood of $220 million in his career.  Give a really good hometown discount and it would endear him to the fans as well as other players.   Give the Vikings some room to manuever for a couple of high quality free agents and lock up some of our better young players.  Thielen and Smith should also come to the table.   

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I dont begrudge the players for trying to make the most $$$ they can - especially in a short career game. 

We'll see if the new GM/HC combo even want him around? I can't imagine they wouldn't want that kinda production with the right cap #. And want him around until they find kid qb of tomorrow. 

not begrudging... just stating why I find it highly unlikely he would suddenly decide to change his MO when it comes to his contract.  I will also say that if he doesnt I dont care what his stats are like,  he will not carry a team and with his need to be resetting the wage scale IMO its then time to move on.  I hope Im wrong and he realizes that his best path is by having better players around him.

Cousins has had 4 years to take us to the Super Bowl. How many more years you need  :3 :3

Matthew Stafford cap hit is 23M this year & the Rams traded multiple picks to “build the team.” Get back to me when Kirk is willing to cut his next year cap hit in half.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Havoc1649 said:

Well, prepare to be disappointed...  there have been no indications that he is willing to take a team friendly deal.  He wants short, guaranteed contracts. Jimmy is spot on, we aren't getting any cap relief from Kirk. We can all hope that, but it ain't happening...  so it's definitely a valid critique of Kirk.