Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Rounder From The Athletic
Quote: @"kmillard" said:
How about DT? The heart of the defense and nothing at that position for a long time. Pierce should be gone and tomlinson is a JAG.
WTF? , Pierce has been great.

I dont know if Pierce has been great or not?

I do know he hasn't played nearly enough in 2 full seasons.

He and Tomlinson have overall been a disappointment imo. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
CB is my preferred first target and that pick would make me happy. 
Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
CB is my preferred first target and that pick would make me happy. 
Bittersweet for me..

Bitter we have to draft one looking for a starter and Sweet if we find that guy. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Not to give credence to PFF, but they both fared well there. Apparently the edges are were we really had issues in the run game. Looking forward to seeing what new coaches can do.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Not to give credence to PFF, but they both fared well there. Apparently the edges are were we really had issues in the run game. Looking forward to seeing what new coaches can do.
Fair enough...But damn, either the game has changed a lot or my eyes are just deceiving me. I just didnt get any sense of Williams Wall part deuce from those guys. Maybe it'll jell with DH back. 

Both DT and Pierce graded out very well, with Pierce at nearly an elite level. The run problems, according to one study I read, were more about gap discipline and poor run support from the edges. Both will be back. And the depth is good with Watts and Lynch, not to mention Twyman coming back from NFI. 

If the Vikings take anything but DE or CB I'd be shocked. 

Gap discipline along the DL or back 7? 

Thats coaching...

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Thats coaching...
I tend to think Zimmer's scheme was sound, but I do think there was a disconnect between players and coaches. Some too young to get it. Some maybe not caring much. Zimmer pissing everyone off. 

But HERE is that article on our run defense issues. 

CB and DE

Outside of the QB situation, these two must be the two picks.  

This past defense would have won 3-4 more games if there was a good CB instead of Breeland, and a productive edge that handled the run well

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Thats coaching...
I tend to think Zimmer's scheme was sound, but I do think there was a disconnect between players and coaches. Some too young to get it. Some maybe not caring much. Zimmer pissing everyone off. 

But HERE is that article on our run defense issues. 
Sheldon Richardson also alluded to another issue later in the season...  we had some guys that wanted to play a certain technique they saw someone else do (or play the way they did with another team) rather than doing what the coaches were teaching them.  Combine the youth and having a bunch of new faces that sounded like they hadn't totally bought in isn't a recipe for success.  We can blame it all Zimmer, but the players need to look in the mirror too.  Good article, thanks for posting Maroon.