Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odds On The Next HC
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
“I truly believe Lane Kiffin is probably going to be the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. And the reason why think this is because of all of the assistants leaving the [Ole Miss] staff and I was told ‘look out for the Minnesota Vikings job, but he’s not a fit with Rick Spielman.’
Zimmer just got fired and Spielman just got fired. That’s oil and water, Lane Kiffin and Rick Spielman, not a fit. [But] now that they’ve cleaned house, look for a total coaching and culture overhaul in Minnesota, and I’ve got Lane Kiffin in the NFL again, possibly.”
Hard pass on Lane

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
“I truly believe Lane Kiffin is probably going to be the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. And the reason why think this is because of all of the assistants leaving the [Ole Miss] staff and I was told ‘look out for the Minnesota Vikings job, but he’s not a fit with Rick Spielman.’
Zimmer just got fired and Spielman just got fired. That’s oil and water, Lane Kiffin and Rick Spielman, not a fit. [But] now that they’ve cleaned house, look for a total coaching and culture overhaul in Minnesota, and I’ve got Lane Kiffin in the NFL again, possibly.”
So I'll say this: I don't think there's much of a doubt that Kiffin is a very good HC. But he's had a wild ride.

Quote: @Skodin said:
Funny how Lee posts this regarding Bieniemy (black coach) as well as he doesn't want Dungy as GM (black gm) because he will be focused on getting a "black coach"

Bro, your racism is fucking ugly
Skodin, please leave me out of your battle with Lee19.  :p

Quote: @Lee 19 said:
As a player at Colorado, Bieniemy was arrested along with a teammate following a February 1988 bar fight.[11]He pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct and fighting in public, and was sentenced to community service.[11]He also received discipline from head coach Bill McCartney.[11]
In 1989, Bieniemy was ticketed in Westminster, Colorado for driving a defective vehicle, and in Aurora, Coloradofor speeding. In October 1990, Bieniemy's license was suspended for a year after another traffic violation. On March 21, 1991, Bieniemy was caught speeding and driving with suspended license on I-70 near Rifle, Colorado, going 92 mph in a 65 mph zone. On April 17, 1991, Bieniemy failed to appear in court on charges relating to the March 21 incident. A bench warrant was issued in Colorado for his arrest on April 23, 1991, two days after he was drafted in the 1991 NFL Draft.[12]
On July 4, 1990, Bieniemy pleaded no contest to interfering with a firefighter who had been performing his duties to extinguish a fire in Bieniemy's mother's garage.[12] Bieniemy received an eight-month suspended sentence[13]and was suspended for one game.[14] Bieniemy was instructed to do 40 hours of community service and attend an eight-hour firefighting training session.[12] An assistant city attorney said Bieniemy failed to attend the firefighting training session as stipulated in the plea agreement, but Bieniemy asserted the session was optional.[12]
On September 27, 1993, Bieniemy was arrested in Boulder, Colorado, for allegedly harassing a female parking attendant. According to the police report, while with his friends, Bieniemy put his hand on the attendant's neck, startling her. She told police he also made a comment about "a bunch of black males all at once being her worst nightmare,"[13] and that Bieniemy and his friends took off their pants and began urinating nearby. Bieniemy was also named in an outstanding warrant on a charge of driving with a suspended license. As a result of this incident, Bieniemy was banned from the University of Colorado Boulder campus for one year.[6][15]
In April 2001, Bieniemy was arrested for driving under the influence and was docked a month's pay.[16]
Lee - 
This issue came up last year and I pointed out things that other coaches did that were:
  1. Similar  and if not worse than what EB did
  2. Were more recent than what EB did
Yet those same coaches were not only interviewed and hired but were heralded as good character people.

My bigger question, like I asked a year ago is ..these things happened 20+ years ago (not saying he gets a pass) and I am not sure how they should preclude him from being a head coach when he has has had a "clean" past since then.

I hope our new GM (??)  doesn't delve into the college ranks for a HC.  

Being a HC in College and a HC in the NFL are like two completely different jobs and skill sets - IMO.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
So I'll say this: I don't think there's much of a doubt that Kiffin is a very good HC. But he's had a wild ride.
I really want a Head Coach who brings his own Offensive System to maintain stability and Kiffin would definitely check the boxes for that. The Zimmer era was anything but stable with the amount of OC's and systems that came and went. I think it's a lot easier to find a DC to run that side of the ball but good OC's are always getting poached for the next NFL Head Coaching opportunity. Too bad Monte isn't younger and still coaching. That would have been a great combo hire for the Vikings but I'm sure Lane can find a capable DC to run the defense. He was only 31 years old when Davis hired him to coach the Raiders. That was 15 years ago. I'm sure he has learned a lot and matured a lot since then. He wouldn't be coaching Ole Miss in the SEC if he wasn't capable. He turned FAU around from being a doormat into 2 conference championships during his 3 years there before moving on to the Rebels. The question is, can he apply what he learned since his early failures to the NFL and be successful? He's not my top choice, but if the best candidates get poached before we settle on a GM to run the team, he's definitely worth an interview. 

Quote: @Skodin said:
Funny how Lee posts this regarding Bieniemy (black coach) as well as he doesn't want Dungy as GM (black gm) because he will be focused on getting a "black coach"

Racism is picking someone not qualified simply to fulfill a quota pumped up by liberal media. Leslie Frazier was fired twice as a defensive coordinator, once in Cincinnati and once in Tampa Bay. And McDermott effectively runs Buffalo defense. But the media and NFL handlers pump him up. Same with Bienemy who is a gloried running backs coach. I have no problem hiring the best candidate period, regardless of color. But bending over backwards to hire a minority is wrong too, Cookie.

Hard pass on Kiffin. It'd feel like an Urban Meyer hire, maybe not from X's and O's but just from all the baggage he'd bring.

Quote: @Lee 19 said:
@Skodin said:

Racism is picking someone not qualified simply to fulfill a quota pumped up by liberal media. Leslie Frazier was fired twice as a defensive coordinator, once in Cincinnati and once in Tampa Bay. And McDermott effectively runs Buffalo defense. But the media and NFL handlers pump him up. Same with Bienemy who is a gloried running backs coach. I have no problem hiring the best candidate period, regardless of color. But bending over backwards to hire a minority is wrong too, Cookie.
Any idea why Proud banned you from his board? 

Please reference me any time that Tony Dungy advocated for a white guy being promoted for head coach?

As for Barr, now I’m cool Just in Time, maybe telling the unvarnished truth is too much for you.