The six QBs at this year’s
@SeniorBowl:

*North Carolina’s Sam Howell
*Pitt’s Kenny Pickett
*Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder
*Nevada’s Carson Strong,
*Liberty’s Malik Willis
*W. Kentucky’s Bailey Zappe

Looks like all the big names are scheduled to be there.  Let's see who separates themselves from the pack.

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
Parcells was a Hall of Fame coach who was renowned for his ability to evaluate talent. In fact, when he was with the New England Patriots he famously stated: “They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”

This comment derived from an incident during the 1996 NFL Draft when his preferred first-round selection was not approved by owner Robert Kraft. Kraft purchased the team after Parcells’ first year on the job and Parcells was effectively the Patriots’ general manager. Despite taking New England to the Super Bowl in 1996 it was his final game as head coach. His disagreements with Kraft led to Parcells’ decision to leave New England. 
In 1997, Parcells became the head coach and general manager of the New York Jets, where he had full control over football operations. Needless to say, Parcells had convictions about his approach on how to build a football team and his resume speaks for itself.
In case you are not familiar with Parcells’ criteria for drafting a quarterback, the following seven boxes had to be checked in order for a passer to be an option:
  • Be a three-year starter 
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  • Complete at least 60% of passes thrown
While none of the criteria takes into account traits identifiable on film, the central theme behind Parcells’ rules is to narrow the field down to those who are accurate, make good decisions, are mentally tough, are part of a winning culture, and finish what they start.
Let’s see how the 2022 crop of quarterbacks fits into Parcells’ criteria. 
KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH
  • 3 years as a starter? Yes
  • Is he a senior? Yes
  • Did he graduate? Yes
  • Did he start 30 games? Yes
  • Did he win 23 games? Yes 
  • TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes (81:32)
  • Completion percentage over 60? Yes (62.4%)
  • 7/7 criteria met
In so many ways, Pickett encapsulates everything Parcells is looking for in a quarterback prospect. The criteria exists to laser in on guys like Pickett. Now, what would Parcells think about his hand size? 
MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS
  • 3 years as a starter? No
  • Is he a senior? No
  • Did he graduate? Yes
  • Did he start 30 games? No
  • Did he win 23 games? No
  • TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes (57:22)
  • Completion percentage over 60? Yes (66.7%)
  • 3/7 criteria met
Of the top quarterbacks in the 2022 class, Corral checks the fewest boxes of Parcells’ criteria. Considering he should be one of the first quarterbacks off the board, it’s a good reminder of how the criteria can be so wide-ranging and how every team is different. 
I watch very little college football but saw maybe 2 games of Pickett.  He checks all the boxes and yet he didn't really blow me away with any one play.  

I also like to watch trends of each year and progression, and he came out of nowhere and put-up huge stats as a senior...most importantly for me is his completion % was near 67% as a 5th year senior.

I guess he opted out of the bowl game vs Mich State, is that semi-normal these days?  It would be really nice to see these guys play vs ranked teams.  

This is the most biased take anyone will ever make about this years QBs. Here it goes:
I have watched Corral once (a few days ago in the bowl game). He did not pass the eyeball test with many poor passes and an int (receivers fault). He did have two really good runs before being injured.
I started a thread to be educated about him but it did not get much traction.
Can someone please enlighten me about him and why he is so highly rated?

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JustinTime18™" said:
Parcells was a Hall of Fame coach who was renowned for his ability to evaluate talent. In fact, when he was with the New England Patriots he famously stated: “They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.”

This comment derived from an incident during the 1996 NFL Draft when his preferred first-round selection was not approved by owner Robert Kraft. Kraft purchased the team after Parcells’ first year on the job and Parcells was effectively the Patriots’ general manager. Despite taking New England to the Super Bowl in 1996 it was his final game as head coach. His disagreements with Kraft led to Parcells’ decision to leave New England. 
In 1997, Parcells became the head coach and general manager of the New York Jets, where he had full control over football operations. Needless to say, Parcells had convictions about his approach on how to build a football team and his resume speaks for itself.
In case you are not familiar with Parcells’ criteria for drafting a quarterback, the following seven boxes had to be checked in order for a passer to be an option:
  • Be a three-year starter 
  • Be a senior in college
  • Graduate from college
  • Start 30 games
  • Win 23 games
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  • Complete at least 60% of passes thrown
While none of the criteria takes into account traits identifiable on film, the central theme behind Parcells’ rules is to narrow the field down to those who are accurate, make good decisions, are mentally tough, are part of a winning culture, and finish what they start.
Let’s see how the 2022 crop of quarterbacks fits into Parcells’ criteria. 
KENNY PICKETT, PITTSBURGH
  • 3 years as a starter? Yes
  • Is he a senior? Yes
  • Did he graduate? Yes
  • Did he start 30 games? Yes
  • Did he win 23 games? Yes 
  • TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes (81:32)
  • Completion percentage over 60? Yes (62.4%)
  • 7/7 criteria met
In so many ways, Pickett encapsulates everything Parcells is looking for in a quarterback prospect. The criteria exists to laser in on guys like Pickett. Now, what would Parcells think about his hand size? 
MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS
  • 3 years as a starter? No
  • Is he a senior? No
  • Did he graduate? Yes
  • Did he start 30 games? No
  • Did he win 23 games? No
  • TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes (57:22)
  • Completion percentage over 60? Yes (66.7%)
  • 3/7 criteria met
Of the top quarterbacks in the 2022 class, Corral checks the fewest boxes of Parcells’ criteria. Considering he should be one of the first quarterbacks off the board, it’s a good reminder of how the criteria can be so wide-ranging and how every team is different. 
I watch very little college football but saw maybe 2 games of Pickett.  He checks all the boxes and yet he didn't really blow me away with any one play.  

I also like to watch trends of each year and progression, and he came out of nowhere and put-up huge stats as a senior...most importantly for me is his completion % was near 67% as a 5th year senior.

I guess he opted out of the bowl game vs Mich State, is that semi-normal these days?  It would be really nice to see these guys play vs ranked teams.  
It is for those who don't love the game.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
This is the most biased take anyone will ever make about this years QBs. Here it goes:
I have watched Corral once (a few days ago in the bowl game). He did not pass the eyeball test with many poor passes and an int (receivers fault). He did have two really good runs before being injured.
I started a thread to be educated about him but it did not get much traction.
Can someone please enlighten me about him and why he is so highly rated?
Corral is a 4th year Junior who pulls the trigger for the Rebel offense. He shows good athleticism when maneuvering outside of the pocket. In the run game, he can convert critical third downs with his legs but clearly wants to deliver it from the pocket if he can. He did a much better job in 2021 of discerning when to use his legs. Defenses must account for him in the zone-read aspect of the game, as he demonstrates the ability to “pull it” from the mesh and threaten the defense. In the passing game, he is highly effective and productive in Ole Miss’ offense. He’s led a high-powered Rebel offense in 2021 while completing 68% of his passes en route to throwing for 3,333 yards and 20 TDs. However, the area he has shown the most growth in is his ability to take care of the football. He eliminated the multi-turnover games that plagued him in 2020, only accounting for four interceptions to date. Hes demonstrates situational awareness over the course of the game with regard to time and score. He throws with pinpoint accuracy between the numbers and in short-to-intermediate situations. While some cold-weather teams may have reservations about his ability to drive it down the field with his sufficient-level arm strength, overall, he has proven this year that he could have success in an offense with NFL concepts
Ideal Role: Eventual starting QB
Scheme Fit: Heavy volume of RPO concepts

From TDN. Little on the smallish side. I honestly haven't watched a ton of QBs this year. 
Saw enough of Strong last year to like him. 5-10 years ago he would have been the belle of the ball. Lack of a running aspect to his game will drag him down. He's the best fit for what we do and the talent we have. 

If we’re drafting a QB I demand they be a hell of a leader. I want a QB who grabs his team by the balls and carries them. Doesnt need to be a runner. Can be a lot of things a modern QB isnt but has to be the vocal leader of the team. 

Quote: @"JustinTime18™" said:
Carson Strong is 4th year junior who aligns at QB mostly from the gun. He is an average athlete with regard to mobility outside of the pocket. In the run game, he isn't much of a threat to the defense as a runner and clearly would rather to deliver the ball from the pocket. As a result, running many of the zone-read concepts or QB designed runs would be problematic with him. The passing game is where he thrives. He’s more of a traditional pocket passer with very good arm strength and generally throws with a good base. Has a lot of pre-snap responsibilities in terms of protection and appears to handle it well. When throwing from a clean pocket his accuracy is good, but he definitely has some throws where he could have better ball placement. He has the mental processing to make quick decisions. Because he lacks good escapability, if his primary is covered, he will force the ball in—often for an ill-advised throw. As a result, he doesn't always go through a full progression to hit his check down. 
Nevada’s Air Raid-based offense provides many opportunities for him to display his downfield accuracy. However, the offense also can be attributed to his moments of lazy footwork and throwing with an inconsistent base. He has a good internal timer and he innately feels pressure on the backside. He keeps his eyes downfield and can throw receivers open on deep balls. He can look the safety off, throw the seams to the TE, and easily gets the ball out of his hands from the gun. One of his best assets is his ability to take care of the football. Nevada’s offense calls for big shots down the field, and he has been judicious in this regard. Some of his turnovers in the exposures I’ve graded were situations where his receivers let him down. Although the league seems to be trending away from this type of QB, this is someone who would thrive with an effective running game, good protection, and a sure-handed tight end.
The thing about Strong that not many realize is that he was playing after having his knee scoped in August.  He was NOT 100% and the velocity on his throws was less than when he could really plant his leg.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/carson-strong-to-visit-nfl-doctor-thursday-before-making-bowl-decision

Strong underwent right knee surgery in February and had the same knee scoped in August. The knee injury dates to his high school career after he felt discomfort and clicking in that knee while playing in an AAU basketball tournament in Reno. The Vacaville, Calif., native had eight biodegradable nails inserted into his knee, which caused him to miss his senior season. He felt discomfort during the 2020 season, which led to the second surgery last winter that included a piece of his hip bone being inserted into his knee. That came with a 6- to 12-month recovery window, and Strong was cleared by his doctor at the 6-month mark after it was deemed his knee was structurally fit, although he dealt with inflammation in the knee throughout the season."My surgery was in February, and it's supposed to be a year-long recovery," Strong said. "The thing with my surgery that I had, it has to do with some bone and bone just takes kind of a long time to heal. And so just coming back soon, I was dealing with some inflammation problems. After games, I'd get swollen and sore, and so I was just dealing with that. (Nevada athletic trainer) Spencer (Hiett) did a great job getting me ready each week. I wouldn't be able to play with the that guy, so shoutout Spencer. Thank you for all your work. But I'm looking forward to getting back fully healthy. I'm confident that my knee is structurally good. I just need some time to heal."

Another thing Strong did was basically run the offense as he had freedom to audible when he felt it was needed.
https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/carson-strong-grew-up-watching-cal

“There’s three things we look for [in a quarterback],” said Norvell, who spent six years coaching in the NFL. “We look for intelligence, we look for accuracy, and we look for passion. And Carson has all three.

“Very intelligent kid. He can handle volumes of information that we give him.”
Norvell gives him lots of autonomy on the field because he can read defenses and make quick decisions, allowing Strong to audible.
“He runs the whole offense,” Norvell said.
And he is always a threat to beat a defense with the long ball.
“He’s got an incredibly accurate arm for deep balls, and he has a tremendous passion to play,” Norvell said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strong has all the tools and he is a little bit more mobile than he is given credit for.

What has Parcells ever done as far as running an NFL personel dept?  He won 2 superbowls with the Giants when he had nothing to do with drafting or signing players.  He drafted 0 QBs that ever won a championship and clung onto broken down old QBs like Testiverdy and Pennington when they were past their primes, so why would anyone take Parcells views on picking QBs?

I really like Pickett.  Not sure how his play will transition to the Pros, but to me he seems to have all the intangibles and leadership....not to mention a good arm.  I'm hoping the Vikes lose a competitive game against Chicago so they have a better chance to get him.