Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the good GM candidates?
Quote: @ilovebritney said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Ultimately depends on the FO structure. If Spielman stays in an advisory role (very possible) they could go with more of an up and coming candidate. If Spielman is out the door the guy you want is Ed Dodds from Indianapolis, he a scouting protege. He's the brains behind identifying Darius Leonard, Blackmon, Johnathan Taylor, etc. 
Do you think the job is attractive enough for him to take? He said no to the Panthers last year.
The plot thickens...I hope we are attractive enough, and we get the rose or WTF the latest reality shows give, maybe herpes??  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@ilovebritney said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Ultimately depends on the FO structure. If Spielman stays in an advisory role (very possible) they could go with more of an up and coming candidate. If Spielman is out the door the guy you want is Ed Dodds from Indianapolis, he a scouting protege. He's the brains behind identifying Darius Leonard, Blackmon, Johnathan Taylor, etc. 
Do you think the job is attractive enough for him to take? He said no to the Panthers last year.
The plot thickens...I hope we are attractive enough, and we get the rose or WTF the latest reality shows give, maybe herpes??  
Lol!

I'll throw a name out there that may surprise some...but what about Tony Dungy? Has ties to the state having played college football at the University of Minnesota and was our DB and defensive coordinator here for a long time before going to Tampa and overhauling that roster. If I was the Wilf's....I'd at least make that phone call to gauge his interest in the GM job.

I like Horitz for two reasons.  

1) Great scouting abilities, they have churned out a lot of talent in Baltimore
2) Harbaugh connection.  

Give me Moritz-Harbaugh-Fangio, or give me nothing 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Jan 2021

Indianapolis Colts assistant general manager Ed Dodds is not expected to be hired by the Detroit Lions to be their general manager as they are expected to hire Brad Holmes, per Adam Schefter of ESPN.
Dodds was interviewed by the Lions for their vacant general manager position on Tuesday, but it appears he will be staying in Indy. He also interviewed for the same role with the Carolina Panthers but ultimately withdrew his name from the running.
Dodds has been with the Colts since Chris Ballard took over as general manager in 2017. He was promoted to assistant general manager in 2018 and has been Ballard’s right-hand man ever since.
Dodds has been an integral part of the roster-building process for the Colts over the last few years and it appears, for now, he will be staying in Indy.

May 2017
The Indianapolis Colts will have a new-look front office for its 2017 season. While Chuck Pagano is still the head coach, Chris Ballard is the new general manager after former executive of the year winner Ryan Grigson was fired at the end of the 2016 campaign.
On Friday, the Colts added five people to its player personnel department, including longtime Seahawks executive Ed Dodds.
Quote:The team has hired Morocco Brown as director of college scouting, Kyle Childress as college scouting coordinator, Brian Decker as player personnel strategist, Ed Dodds as vice president of player personnel and Rex Hogan as vice president of player personnel.
Dodds has worked in Seattle’s organization since 2007, serving one year in pro personnel before spending the bulk of his years in the scouting department. After one season as a national scout, Dodds was promoted to senior personnel executive in the 2015 offseason, with the primary task of evaluating college and professional talent.
After being one of the few to survive the structural shake-up after Tim Ruskell was fired in 2010, ushering in the Pete Carroll/John Schneider era we’ve come to know and love, Dodds is moving on up to a role as co-VP of player personnel for a Colts team in desperate need to turn things around and not waste the peak years of Andrew Luck.

So, Dodd is the Colts version of Paton.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
Yes.

Broncos current:
Elways title:  Executive level - President of Football Operation
Paton: Executive level - GM

Colts current:
Chris Ballard - Executive level - GM
Dodds current title: Football Operations - Asst GM

Vikings current:
Rick Spielman - Executive Staff - GM
Rob Brzezinski - Executive VP of Football Operations

So:

"Elway" Spelly and create the new title of President of Football Operations
Offer Dodds a promotion to the Executive level GM

What I hope-
Zim out, Kellen Moore in (Also good w Harbaugh, some others. Offensive-minded guys.)
RS- meh, either way. But we need new eyes in here with power to veto his annual bird-brained trade.
Kirk out, bridge QB + rookie in (Minshew, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Bridgewater all good options)
What I think-
Zim out, Pedersen inRS inKirk in

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
Yes.

Broncos current:
Elways title:  Executive level - President of Football Operation
Paton: Executive level - GM

Colts current:
Chris Ballard - Executive level - GM
Dodds current title: Football Operations - Asst GM

Vikings current:
Rick Spielman - Executive Staff - GM
Rob Brzezinski - Executive VP of Football Operations

So:

"Elway" Spelly and create the new title of President of Football Operations
Offer Dodds a promotion to the Executive level GM

would Dodds want to work in the role that his new boss recently was forced out of?  I understand the notion of liking rick and wanting to keep him with the team,  but how do you keep him from fucking with the changes that the new GM would want to make?  its not fair to bring a guy in and handcuff him to the old regime.  I have tried thinking of a way for this to work and the only way would be if ricks future was tied to the success of the new GM,  honestly I think keeping rick in the mix would eliminate a lot of the better candidates.

Put Spielman in marketing, he’s been getting away w/ selling a load of crap for years, perfect fit…!  :p