Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Why would live rounds ever need to be on a movie set?
Chuck Norris always used real bullets so there is that....plus no one likes any actor who shoots blanks.

This is Merica where even movie sets have the right to bare arms Smile   

I'm here all night folks, so get used to it.  If you don't like my sarcasm shoot me!

Quote: @minny65 said:
Chuck Norris always used real bullets so there is that....plus no one likes any actor who shoots blanks.

This is Merica where even movie sets have the right to bare arms Smile   

I'm here all night folks, so get used to it.  If you don't like my sarcasm shoot me!
I feel triggered. 

Quote: @Caactorvike said:

“…25 years ago I did a low budget film (like Rust) where we used live fully loaded charges (blanks)…”
30 years ago I was in a low budget movie, but I was young and needed money (it was mostly artistic and had a plot). I remember the Director always calling for the “Money Shot,” whatever that means. Strangely, I don’t recall any firearms on the set. 

Quote: @BStads said:
@Caactorvike said:

“…25 years ago I did a low budget film (like Rust) where we used live fully loaded charges (blanks)…”
30 years ago I was in a low budget movie, but I was young and needed money (it was mostly artistic and had a plot). I remember the Director always calling for the “Money Shot,” whatever that means. Strangely, I don’t recall any firearms on the set. 

Would explain why he was always firing blanks...

Reminds me of Brandon Lee's death (of The Crow fame and Bruce Lees son):
On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene in The Crow where his character is shot and killed by thugs.[97] In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee fires a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.[98]
In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun (which was a real revolver) was loaded with improperly made dummy rounds, improvised from live cartridges that had the powder charges removed by the special effects crew, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges, and at some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired. Although there were no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck—a dangerous condition known as a squib load. During the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank's propellant and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[99][100]

I was just thinking about Brandon Lee. What a sad and preventable tragedy that was. I was listening to his fiance Eliza Hutton speaking about this. I can't imagine losing someone you love in that way. I love the movie The Crow. I thought there was supposed to be a change in safety guidelines after that but I am wondering if people were not following them or what. Thank you CA for your insight as well.

Maybe the actors need to learn from this and start treating guns like kids are taught to treat guns when they take a hunters safety course?  Always handle a gun as if its loaded
 Never assume a gun is empty,  always check a gun yourself when its been out of your possession prior to using it.  

Every time I pick up one of my guns to carry or go shoot I check the chamber,  and the last thing I do before storing a gun is to check the chamber.

This is sad,  but I would say even on a movie set gun safety should be followed.  Why not teach the actors to load their own guns for their scenes and that way they alone would be responsible for the actions of the gun they are using,  just like everybody else that uses one?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Maybe the actors need to learn from this and start treating guns like kids are taught to treat guns when they take a hunters safety course?  Always handle a gun as if its loaded
 Never assume a gun is empty,  always check a gun yourself when its been out of your possession prior to using it.  

Every time I pick up one of my guns to carry or go shoot I check the chamber,  and the last thing I do before storing a gun is to check the chamber.

This is sad,  but I would say even on a movie set gun safety should be followed.  Why not teach the actors to load their own guns for their scenes and that way they alone would be responsible for the actions of the gun they are using,  just like everybody else that uses one?
They supposedly have gun safety, but like most gun laws surrounding a tragedy, they aren't followed.  

Sounds like the guy handing the actor the gun is supposed to check and call it out, but obviously didn't check this one.  The armorer is also supposed to be that person, but since covid is more likely to kill than guns, that wasn't the case.  Can't have the actor being exposed and can assume the actor has time to practice gun safety.

@Caactorvike said:

@Caactorvike said:

The “Money shot” is your close up usually. Years ago I did a few episodes of The Practice.  I had a scene that was very emotional. After shooting the the master (a wide establishing shot) and a few more from different angles etc the director moved the camera in very tight- alike a foot away and said “you think you got one more in ya?” I said “well, I don’t know” he said, “well you better, this is you money shot.” Talk about upping the pressure. Thank god I had one more in me!