Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching Mills, Fields, Wilson, etc.....these rookie QBs...
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Which is why you build the OL first and then go looking for a QB,  amd even then you should likely have a bridge QB for a season or 2
The smart ones have always done it that way, best recent example is Indy with Manning.  But ruining any potential of a highly drafted QB has become the way of the NFL.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
Some of these front offices are dumb as hell. You get a high draft qb and put him behind a shit OL. That's absolutely ridiculous. I hope Wilson is going to be ok.
Remember what I said after the draft? If the Bears are smart, they will play Dalton and let Fields sit a year. But the Bears are morons. They will be tempted by idiot fans and media to put the kid in there before he's ready and they might actually ruin him if they do so. 

It pisses me off, but the Packers are doing it right. 

Yup, they did it right with Rogers and they're doing it right with Love too. 

I think you have to draft a potentially great QB whenever you have the opportunity to do so.  You can't wait until you are ready and everything is convenient to draft a QB, because there's always the chance that there's no QB available to you when you need him.

I think as far as team building goes.  I think if you don't have a QB, you probably should focus on staying sort of lean up until you get a QB and then go all in.  I think it makes the most amount of sense to focus on building the offense first, such that you have the environment for the QB to succeed in place when they arrive, and let the defense wait a little bit and then toss FA money at the defense once you know you are in the window.

In general, I think you should let your best QB start, and then when your young QB is capable of beating out your current starter, that's when you make the switch.  Then bring in a new young QB to push the current starter.  When the time comes, trade one of the QBs for draft capital and draft a new guy.  I think you probably need to have 3 guys on the roster to make this cycle work.

I'd also probably employ older veteran QBs that aren't on the roster to run the scout team.  Let the young players focus on getting better, not being fodder for the starters.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think you have to draft a potentially great QB whenever you have the opportunity to do so.  You can't wait until you are ready and everything is convenient to draft a QB, because there's always the chance that there's no QB available to you when you need him.

I think as far as team building goes.  I think if you don't have a QB, you probably should focus on staying sort of lean up until you get a QB and then go all in.  I think it makes the most amount of sense to focus on building the offense first, such that you have the environment for the QB to succeed in place when they arrive, and let the defense wait a little bit and then toss FA money at the defense once you know you are in the window.

In general, I think you should let your best QB start, and then when your young QB is capable of beating out your current starter, that's when you make the switch.  Then bring in a new young QB to push the current starter.  When the time comes, trade one of the QBs for draft capital and draft a new guy.  I think you probably need to have 3 guys on the roster to make this cycle work.

I'd also probably employ older veteran QBs that aren't on the roster to run the scout team.  Let the young players focus on getting better, not being fodder for the starters.
100% agree with building a team before getting your QB...especially if it's in the draft, which these days is always the case because great QBs rarely hit FA. What I disagree with is playing your younger QB when he's ready to beat out the others. This is the case with Fields and many others as you can't let them get totally wrecked and potentially ruin their mentality.

I honestly think the Jets ruined Darnold and I also think David Carr was ruined by the Texans because of their OL. Unfortunately, it's a QB league and if you keep losing, then it's the QB's fault because why wouldnt it be? Then the rookie/young QB has to come in and is expected to exceed. I think one of the reasons Lamar Jackson has been so successful is because of the situation he fell into with a great HC and on a team that typically has a good OL.

There is no strategy in what the Packers are doing.  It was senseless to take Love when they did as Rogers is going no where and Love will be out of his rookie contract by the time Rogers leaves.  Not to mention, there is no evidence that Love is anywhere near a starting QB in the NFL, it was a moronic pick by the Pack. Not a fan of Erin, but definitely understand why he was so pissed with the pick.  

You guys in So Cali getting spared from the worst of the Bomb Cyclone?

Not sure about Love or not, hard to think Pack will land 3 HOF QB's in a row. But I said they wont hit pay-dirt after Favre too and they got an even better one in Rogers.  

I think this is Rogers' last year in a Packer uni...

[Image: Aaron-Rodgers-Denver-Broncos-photoshop.png]