Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Funny, Really, But I'm Done with Zimmer
I used to love and priase Zimmer, as he always had a top notch defense. Problem is, when the defense failed last year, his ignoring the offensive line, developing a young QB and his kicker attitude has sunk this team.

Kirk has put up good stats, but are we hanging with him after next year. I doubt it. The successor should already be on the roster, but we will be behind on the most important position on a football team again. 

If we lose tomorrow, time to blow the coaching and GM staff up.....2-4 with the upcoming schedule is daunting at best.

I loved Diggs, but was so disappointed when he forced his way off this team. It happened with Percy too. If we don't move on from Zimmer, Jefferson could be next.

I actually think Zimmer isn't all that bad. But he and Spielman decided to adopt a philosophy on offense, that hasn't , and may never pan out.
They decided to run the wide zone running offense. So they acquired undersized linemen, like Elflien, Bradbury, and a few inept guards, they felt would be able to pull and get to the second level to block linebackers and safeties.
So that works well, sometimes, when you have a running back like Cook.

But when that doesn't work, where does that leave you?

If you are behind, you end up with Linemen that are a liability in passing situations.

It's a philosophical difference I have with Zimmer and Spielman that bothers me.

The hell with the wide zone offense. Get offensive linemen that can pass block well, and shore up your defense, and you will get back to the top tier of competitive teams.

Zimmer must go and for maybe for the first time I am joining the Spielman must go too camp. Sick of the whole situation.

the thing that bugs me about Zimmer was last season 2020 our defense was horrible due to injuries and covid.  Not his fault but what happened last season was the nearly complete lack of developing and coaching up the players behind his starters that were injured or out. To me a genius coach finds the diamonds in the rough behind his injured players and at least can develop a few guys to be pleasant surprises.

Danztler was the only one that came close to being that diamond in the rough and this year Zimmer has treated him like he is a lump of coal.  He doesn’t develop players and his defenses are only good when he has probowlers at every level of the defense like in 2017.  Well no kidding that roster would be good with any competant coach.  Show me your genuis when things go wrong not when nearly every player is a stud.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
the thing that bugs me about Zimmer was last season 2020 our defense was horrible due to injuries and covid.  Not his fault but what happened last season was the nearly complete lack of developing and coaching up the players behind his starters that were injured or out. To me a genius coach finds the diamonds in the rough behind his injured players and at least can develop a few guys to be pleasant surprises.

Danztler was the only one that came close to being that diamond in the rough and this year Zimmer has treated him like he is a lump of coal.  He doesn’t develop players and his defenses are only good when he has probowlers at every level of the defense like in 2017.  Well no kidding that roster would be good with any competant coach.  Show me your genuis when things go wrong not when nearly every player is a stud.
Yabbut depth is meant to get you through a handful of injuries here and there. You have two, maybe three players out, the backups go in, you make a few adjustments to mitigate the downgrade in experience and/or talent, and it doesn't hurt you too bad. 

But when 7 of your starting 11 are out, you can't mitigate that. That's a whole different team. 

I have my problems with Zimmer, but what happened last year ain't one of them. 

Last year was intended to be a soft reboot.  We could no longer afford a lot of our good
players and a lot of players were at their end of their contracts here.  We had to let them go, and replace them with
younger players.  The cap was $192M and
$30M of that was dead money tied up in older contracts for players no longer on
the team.  I didn’t include the $7M in
dead money for Yannick.  Last year was
going to be pretty rough even without injuries or Covid.  We had a full refresh in our DBs.  We only had 2 defenders on our DLine worthy
of starting.  We were light on FAs and veterans,
because we were resetting our cap.

Then you have the injuries. 
Pierce and Hunter going out before the season started.  There was no real way any coach could field a
functioning defense with no starting caliber DL and rookie CBs.

One thing to note is how many players came to play for
Zimmer on one year contracts trying to position themselves for a big new
contract in 2022.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

Yabbut depth is meant to get you through a handful of injuries here and there. You have two, maybe three players out, the backups go in, you make a few adjustments to mitigate the downgrade in experience and/or talent, and it doesn't hurt you too bad. 

But when 7 of your starting 11 are out, you can't mitigate that. That's a whole different team. 

I have my problems with Zimmer, but what happened last year ain't one of them. 
who had Mike developed as a defensive Guru in the last three years?   thats my point I am not expecting the defense to be all world with backups up and down the roster last year but lets even go back farther the last three years of defensive picks and almost nothing.

On offense we have Cleveland, Osbourne, Conklin, and Darrisaw Jefferson as stars or at least solid  players that have been recently drafted and developed or at least very promising.  

Going to be very interesting to see what happens the back 1/2 of a very tough schedule. 

Make or break for Zimmer. I do think (in most scenarios) if they dont make the playoffs? He's probably done here. 

Making post-season is key. 1 and done in the playoffs? I dont think its a slam dunk the Wilfs turn the page. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Going to be very interesting to see what happens the back 1/2 of a very tough schedule. 

Make or break for Zimmer. I do think (in most scenarios) if they dont make the playoffs? He's probably done here. 

Making post-season is key. 1 and done in the playoffs? I dont think its a slam dunk the Wilfs turn the page. 
I agree with all this. The bottom line is this is a results business. And lately Mike doesn't have the results. We'll see if he can find a horseshoe the rest of the way.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I agree with all this. The bottom line is this is a results business. And lately Mike doesn't have the results. We'll see if he can find a horseshoe the rest of the way.
It's been said already, his record against Nagy & LaFleur is pathetic. If you cant win against GB and Chicago in MN?

You've pretty much lost the locals.

Not a good place to be, especially with (by far) the #1 team in the state.