Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not built to throw
I remember the draft video, wonder if the look from Zim had more to it than just RS gambling moving back for Darrisaw.  Can't imagine he was too happy drafting damaged good's, for the OL, does that bring back memories of anyone named Kalil?

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I remember the draft video, wonder if the look from Zim had more to it than just RS gambling moving back for Darrisaw.  Can't imagine he was too happy drafting damaged good's, for the OL, does that bring back memories of anyone named Kalil?
I do not get how Darrisaw's injury was not on the radar here in preparation of drafting him.  The idea was penciling him day 1 but up pops this groin injury that he had before draft season.  I don't get it, but then again I think Rick is terrible at 1st round picks which is why I wish we would grab 2-3 of them and trade for a MVP QB like Watson or Wilson. If not, we are going nowhere for the next 3-4 years

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@GermanVike said:
Calm down everybody. Of course nobody wants to start with 1st and 20 or 25 all the time, cause that means that you literally HAVE to throw and can't keep the defense guessing.

That's what he meant. No team is made for that.
But really neither is any team, including KC. He's not saying it isn't optimal, that's obvious. He's saying 'that's not how we are built'....insinuating they are out of their element. Specifically mentioning it as a weakness. If his purpose was to bring up that its a tough situation to be in, that's what he would have said. I really think there is a distinction here, its why I posted it. I fully understand it isn't optimal to be in that situation, but it isn't for ANY team.

Words have meaning. At some point, we have to stop deciphering what we think Zimmer means. He's said some 'interesting' things recently. 
 When I hear words like that from the HC, I think about how that might be interpreted by his players....Young, impressionable and talk amongst themselves too. 

We'll see how this year progresses. I'm not convinced Eagan is a happy place, hope I'm wrong. 

It's like a re-run of the Tice and Frazier years, only with far more talent and resources, yet we get the same result.

"We're not built like that."

No, and the Bucs, Packers, Saints, Rams, Chiefs and Bills are, and they have the wins, rings and hardware to prove it.

Meanwhile we are resurrecting the offensive strategy from the Adrian Peterson Era, since it was super successful, only now with Cook.  Zim wants to run and establish the run but doesn't understand how to throw with success without PlayAction passes.

More alarming:  talk about Zimmer's choices for OC's, lack of continuity, and how we end up with half a staff of rookie coaches.  

Despite a sick amount of talent on offense, good offensive coaches aren't remotely interested in the Vikings. 

It's either our QB or HC, my guess is both.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
It's like a re-run of the Tice and Frazier years, only with far more talent and resources, yet we get the same result.

No, and the Bucs, Packers, Saints, Rams, Chiefs and Bills are, and they have the wins, rings and hardware to prove it.

Meanwhile we are resurrecting the offensive strategy from the Adrian Peterson Era, since it was super successful, only now with Cook.  Zim wants to run and establish the run but doesn't understand how to throw with success without PlayAction passes.

More alarming:  talk about Zimmer's choices for OC's, lack of continuity, and how we end up with half a staff of rookie coaches.  

Despite a sick amount of talent on offense, good offensive coaches aren't remotely interested in the Vikings. 

I agree with most of this except for the good offensive coaches aren't interested.  I don't believe that at all, they know they can come here with this talent base and not having another offensive mind looking over their shoulder to run the show.

Norv, Shurmur, Kubiak, DeFlippo (hot name that year), Stefanski staying an additional year.  There is quality offensive coaching in that group.  Two of those names rode their year as OC to a head coaching job.  Two of those men, who are historical offensive greats retired.  JDF was a hot name that was over his skis in his OC position.

This team lacks a QB that fits its capabilities.  Cousins, Zimmer, and our GM, are a bad match.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@BigAl99 said:
I do not get how Darrisaw's injury was not on the radar here in preparation of drafting him.  The idea was penciling him day 1 but up pops this groin injury that he had before draft season.  I don't get it, but then again I think Rick is terrible at 1st round picks which is why I wish we would grab 2-3 of them and trade for a MVP QB like Watson or Wilson. If not, we are going nowhere for the next 3-4 years

Well he played through it in college, they apparently thought January surgery should
have fixed it…

@SFVikeFan said:

I agree with most of this except for the good offensive coaches aren't interested.  I don't believe that at all, they know they can come here with this talent base and not having another offensive mind looking over their shoulder to run the show.

Norv, Shurmur, Kubiak, DeFlippo (hot name that year), Stefanski staying an additional year.  There is quality offensive coaching in that group.  Two of those names rode their year as OC to a head coaching job.  Two of those men, who are historical offensive greats retired.  JDF was a hot name that was over his skis in his OC position.

This team lacks a QB that fits its capabilities.  Cousins, Zimmer, and our GM, are a bad match.
We can disagree. 

5 OC's in 7 years.  I seriously think other OC's and offensive coaches know something we don't. 

Here's my issue:

I like the pick for WRs Coach.  Everyone else picked for the offensive staff this year is dog shit IMO.

Shurmur was the best playcaller we ever had, turned Case Keenum into a guy with same amount of playoff wins as KC.

1 playoff win for Cousins in 4 seasons as a starter, same as Case.  Does that mean Keenum is as good?  Nope.

Coaching is everything. 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@Skodin said:
@SFVikeFan said:

We can disagree. 

5 OC's in 7 years.  I seriously think other OC's and offensive coaches know something we don't. 

Here's my issue:

I like the pick for WRs Coach.  Everyone else picked for the offensive staff this year is dog shit IMO.

Shurmur was the best playcaller we ever had, turned Case Keenum into a guy with same amount of playoff wins as KC.

1 playoff win for Cousins in 4 seasons as a starter, same as Case.  Does that mean Keenum is as good?  Nope.

Coaching is everything. 
agrees on Shurmur.

Man if you watch any of the 2017 game highlights that offense was so well designed. Mixed it up very well and used the most of its talent.  I cant even imagine what that offense would have been with a healthy Cook

I miss Pat Shurmur

@SFVikeFan said:
@Skodin said:
@SFVikeFan said:

We can disagree. 

Here's my issue:

Coaching is everything. 
agrees on Shurmur.

Man if you watch any of the 2017 game highlights that offense was so well designed. Mixed it up very well and used the most of its talent.  I cant even imagine what that offense would have been with a healthy Cook

I miss Pat Shurmur
Me too.

He and Case just knew how to mix in plays and keep drives going, getting barely enough on 3rd but still converting. 

I was at the Minneapolis Miracle, Pat and Case just had some weird chemistry that year lol 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think Zimmer was being truthful...  does anyone think Cousins is Mahomes?  We don't have a QB that's good enough to win a game by himself and our OL certainly isn't capable of keeping him clean enough to throw that much.  We're built for a balanced offense where we can run the ball and use the screen game with our best offensive weapon (Cook) and take deep play action shots with Thielen and Jefferson.  You guys are reading way too much into his comments.
In all my years of watching football, I've never seen a QB win by himself.  In fact, Brady is closest...but, he typically had an amazing line in front of him, a staunch defense, and managed to work up some serious partners in crime (Edelman, Gronk, etc).

One thing that should've been made very clear on Sunday: even "golden boi Erin" looks pretty beatable when his line is iffy, and that's true of every QB.  For all Favre's vaunted heroics, he was 1-1 in SB visits and never got back after the loss.  Erin is a decade out from his last one.  Wilson is almost as far removed from his, and hasn't been back since the "Legion" trickled away.

Mahomes barely got the win over Cleveland, and he leans HARD on Hill.  Jackson lost to a pocket passer, last night, and two of the most famous pocket passers are brothers with 2 rings each...and were "Manning" the game last night.

I kinda laugh at the "get a mobile QB, get a ring" babble...because there's been a lot of mobile QBs, but they still need solid o-lines to win big games.  Ask Mahomes how his last Superbowl went, ditto for Wilson, ditto for Newton.

Here's the fuggin' formula: good players, consistently, across the board, with excellent coaching.