Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will Kellen Mond start?
I had high hopes for him when we drafted him, he seems to have all the physical tools, but after seeing him play and seeing the way he has handled his responsibility to the them, I do not see him ever being a starter.

So to answer the original post's question:

Maybe never

Week 18 when our playoff slot is locked in.

I sure as hell hope not this season as that will mean something has gone horribly wrong.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Mond needs like 2 years before we even think about starting him.  He might look totally different in an offense with Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen, and Justin Jefferson.  I thought he did some good things in preseason.  I certainly didn't see anything overly concerning that has changed my opinion of him (and that was his floor is a solid backup QB with a chance to be a good starter with his physical tools).

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Mond needs like 2 years before we even think about starting him.  He might look totally different in an offense with Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen, and Justin Jefferson.  I thought he did some good things in preseason.  I certainly didn't see anything overly concerning that has changed my opinion of him (and that was his floor is a solid backup QB with a chance to be a good starter with his physical tools).
Agreed. Depending on how this season shapes up it’s not impossible to think he’d be starting for us down the stretch this year. Starting game 1 next year is also possible if he progresses.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Wetlander said:
Agreed. Depending on how this season shapes up it’s not impossible to think he’d be starting for us down the stretch this year. Starting game 1 next year is also possible if he progresses.
I remember people saying a couple years ago that another 4-year SEC starter needed time to smooth out his flaws and most projected would be a good backup QB.  He ended up starting his rookie year and led a talented team to a 13-3 record.

Better question is, how fast does Mond learn and improve?

Quote: @Mattyman said:

Exactly.

Quote: @Mattyman said:

Or will he? Like everyone understands, its just too early for any assumptions on the kid yet. But one thing I do think: Mond's MO is that the more he plays, the better he gets. If he can get true #2 reps, it'll help the team decide really what they have in him. Being the 3rd string QB is like standing still.