Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Practice Squad Players Count As Being On The Roster?
Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I have no horse in this race but I think it is clear being on the practice squad does not mean one is on the NFL roster.  This is from ESPN last year and I think it is instructive:

"New CBA rule: Additionally, according to the new CBA, a team can carry up to 55 players on its roster during the week -- up from 53 in past years -- by elevating one or two players from its practice squad before 4 p.m. ET on the day before that team's game. This will allow teams a larger pool from which to select their 47 or 48 game-day active players. Any player elevated from the practice squad for this purpose will immediately revert to his team's practice squad on the day after the game.
No player may be activated under this rule for more than two games per season, either regular-season or postseason games. If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past."
Frankly, I think the key sentence is "If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past."  Different contracts, different status.

Just spent 15 minutes researching this so I can avoid my actual work.
Excellent argument, counselor. You are a lawyer, aren't you? I seem to remember something about that. At any rate, I agree with your key sentence. The key part of it being "....and the team wants to add him to the roster." Ipso fatso, while on the practice squad, he was not "on the roster. "

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Quote:Excellent argument, counselor. You are a lawyer, aren't you? I seem to remember something about that. At any rate, I agree with your key sentence. The key part of it being "....and the team wants to add him to the roster." Ipso fatso, while on the practice squad, he was not "on the roster. "
Yup, lawyer as charged.

come on Maroon has to have more than 5 good friends ( or even if you arent a friend, somebody that just thinks he might be correct on this issue)

Not on roster

Quote: @SkolVikings44 said:
Not on roster
Admit it,   you're just saying that because seeing him in a tutu would be akin to rinsing your eyes with lye.

Practice squad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to navigationJump to search
In sports, the practice squad, also called the taxi squad or practice roster, is a group of players signed by a team but not part of their main roster. B)  Frequently used in gridiron football, they serve as extra players during the team's practices, often as part of the scout team by emulating an upcoming opponent's play style. Because the players on the practice squad are familiar with the team's plays and formations, the practice squad serves as a way to develop inexperienced players for promotion to the main roster.[1] This is particularly important for professional gridiron football teams, which do not have formal minor league farm team affiliates to train players. In addition, it provides replacement players for the main roster when players are needed as the result of injuries or other roster moves, such as bereavement leave.[2]

Quote: @Kentis said:
Practice squad
In sports, the practice squad, also called the taxi squad or practice roster, is a group of players signed by a team but not part of their main roster. B)  Frequently used in gridiron football, they serve as extra players during the team's practices, often as part of the scout team by emulating an upcoming opponent's play style. Because the players on the practice squad are familiar with the team's plays and formations, the practice squad serves as a way to develop inexperienced players for promotion to the main roster.[1] This is particularly important for professional gridiron football teams, which do not have formal minor league farm team affiliates to train players. In addition, it provides replacement players for the main roster when players are needed as the result of injuries or other roster moves, such as bereavement leave.[2]
havent you heard... you can find anything to support your view points on the internet... or wiki doesnt count because anybody can edit it.  :p

but this is good information,  perhaps it will be good enough to sway a few more votes his way from those in the undecided part of the jury pool.  ( just a heads up to those that havent voted... this isnt a real legal process... your vote can be sold,  so if Maroon really doesnt want to make his daughter proud ( or give her nightmares ) then by all means... profit,  its not a 4 letter word.

I honestly want to see this come down to a tie... we have a special tie breaker planned if it ends up a tie.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Practice squad

havent you heard... you can find anything to support your view points on the internet... or wiki doesnt count because anybody can edit it.
  :p

but this is good information,  perhaps it will be good enough to sway a few more votes his way from those in the undecided part of the jury pool.  ( just a heads up to those that havent voted... this isnt a real legal process... your vote can be sold,  so if Maroon really doesnt want to make his daughter proud ( or give her nightmares ) then by all means... profit,  its not a 4 letter word.

I honestly want to see this come down to a tie... we have a special tie breaker planned if it ends up a tie.

Well, it was “Hail Mary in a Tutu” time, what can I say bro…!?  B) 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Kentis said:
Practice squad
havent you heard... you can find anything to support your view points on the internet... or wiki doesnt count because anybody can edit it.  :p

Tutu and a tie?

Hey all,  about 24 hours to go and you all are leaving MB hanging like this?  2 votes is all he needs to force the tie breaker,  3 to avoid his date with destiny,  there has to be a few more people that want to hold MBs fate in their hands. 

Maybe we need to see the original post for supporting evidence,  does anybody remember the actual thread and can go find the post to copy here?