Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 20 worst draft picks in Minnesota sports history: These were terrible
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
It's Derrick Alexander by a country mile in my book.  Denny wanted Sapp and was overuled by the suits worried because Sapp smoked the occasional doobie.  TWill gets honorable mention.

Sapp=HOF
Alexander=total nothingburger
I remember this like it was yesterday...

That one hurt big time. Everyone was spooked in the day from Sapp smoking weed. 

Williamson and Ponder are poster-children on why not to draft for need.

Drafting for need is OK. Reaching for need is the problem. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
@comet52 said:
It's Derrick Alexander by a country mile in my book.  Denny wanted Sapp and was overuled by the suits worried because Sapp smoked the occasional doobie.  TWill gets honorable mention.

Sapp=HOF
Alexander=total nothingburger
I remember this like it was yesterday...

That one hurt big time. Everyone was spooked in the day from Sapp smoking weed. 

Williamson and Ponder are poster-children on why not to draft for need.

Drafting for need is OK. Reaching for need is the problem. 
Yah, I was actually going to edit that...

It was a combination of poor data, poor decision making. We all wouldn't even remember these 2 if they were 3rd-5th rd picks. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Hmmm....Darrin Nelson? He played for the Vikings for almost 10 years. 4442 yards rushing and 2202 receiving yards. 23 TDs. I'm not saying there wasn't higher expectations for him but one of the 20 worst draft picks in Minnesota sports history?? Hardly. I mean, not even close. 
yeah, I saw that and thought...really???

From what I recall he wasnt flashy, but far from a bust

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
@StickyBun said:
Hmmm....Darrin Nelson? He played for the Vikings for almost 10 years. 4442 yards rushing and 2202 receiving yards. 23 TDs. I'm not saying there wasn't higher expectations for him but one of the 20 worst draft picks in Minnesota sports history?? Hardly. I mean, not even close. 
yeah, I saw that and thought...really???

From what I recall he wasnt flashy, but far from a bust
Flashy, scat-back was exactly what he was supposed to be. Again, not terrible - but they passed on a HOF'er for that.

Disco Darrin didnt want to be here either - and he wasn't shy about it. 

Traded away as part of the Walker Trade I believe?

At the time I was sadder to see LB Jesse Solomon leave (a late, late rounder) than I was Nelson. 

These four are the most painful to me

RB Nelson over RB Allen
What do the 80s Vikings teams look like with one of the greatest RBs in the game on it?  What do the 90s Vikings look like with all those draft picks? 

DE Alexander over DT Sapp
Sapp and Randle together in their primes is easily the best DT duo in modern football

Gibson over Trout
How did the Twins miss out on the best player in the 20 years?

WR Treadwell over WR Thomas
Sure the development of Diggs or Adam could have been stunted.  But man, 3 deep all over again with Cook at RB and the leagues premier defense is a lot to consider

Quote: @Skodin said:

RB Nelson over RB Allen
What do the 80s Vikings teams look like with one of the greatest RBs in the game on it?  What do the 90s Vikings look like with all those draft picks? 
Wow this is something I had never thought about, had we drafted Allen like we should have, the Walker trade never happens and we keep all those draft picks.  We potentially would have won a Super Bowl during that era and the also really nice benefit is that Dallas would not have won theirs.  Ugh!!

Quote: @JR44 said:
@Skodin said:

RB Nelson over RB Allen
Wow this is something I had never thought about, had we drafted Allen like we should have, the Walker trade never happens and we keep all those draft picks.  We potentially would have won a Super Bowl during that era and the also really nice benefit is that Dallas would not have won theirs.  Ugh!!
Don't get me started on the what ifs. 

What if the refs called Drew's push off?
What if we drafted Allen instead of Nelson?
What if Nelson catches that 4th down pass?
What if we draft Sapp to play with Randle instead of Alexander?
What if we put Johnson back in instead of Cunningham?
What if Robert Smith doesn't run out of bounds 6 times?
What if Culpepper doesn't blow out his knee?
What if we don't put 12 men on the field?
What if Teddy doesn't blow out his knee? 
What if Bradford doesn't blow out his knee?

You forgot Robert Griffith dropping a sure pick in the end-zone vs Dirty Birds...1998 NFCCG

For me #1 is Ponder. Saw 14-15 games of his games in college, I just have no words for anyone that thought he was a #1 or 2 or 3 etc. Leo Hayden deserves a mention for the Vikes. A couple of Twins' picks I had really high hopes for - Mike Sodders Johnny Ard and Jeff Bumgarner. Some of their real head scratchers - Levi Michael, Hudson Boyd. Luke Bard, Ryan Mills, Marc Barcelo, B.J. Garbe and Kelcey Mucker.

By some of this reasoning, then everyone the Vikes drafted before Tom Brady deserves to be on the list.

As for Nelson, DJ Dozier is much more deserving to be on this list.  The Vikes actually traded up for Dozier.

Underwood should be the first Viking on this list, hands down.  His college coaches told the Vikes not to draft him.