Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think Kirk Cousins can do it......
@JimmyinSD "Mond is an unknown,  Cousins is on a 2 year deal and if by chance we do have a good offensive year there is that already mentioned possibility of losing young Kubiak and having to start again with a new OC and possibly a new system,  which would likely set the O back thus cresting the possibility of kirks last year being a down year.   I dont see the Vikings making him a top tier contract guy again so that would be the start of the Mond Era so we are back to that being an unknown. "

We could easily lose Kubiak. In fact, I suspect we will. But as many of us have mentioned, the players make the OC. Just hire the next guy up who will run the same offense. Janocko? McCardell? Polamalu?

I know many see Mond as the future. I see him more as hedging our bets. If Cousins has the kind of year I expect him to have, I think the Vikings will extend him again, creating even more time for Mond. And more cap space, extending our window. And the potential for a big trade down the road, for either Cousins or Mond.

Keep in mind that Cousins is only 32 and he's one of those QBs who's never hurt. Those guys tend to play a long long time. Favre played until 41, Brees 42, etc. Brady is 11 years older than Kirk Cousins, meaning we could feasibly see Cousins running out the tunnel in the year 2032. Skol. 

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

I know many see Mond as the future. I see him more as hedging our bets. If Cousins has the kind of year I expect him to have, I think the Vikings will extend him again, creating even more time for Mond. And more cap space, extending our window. And the potential for a big trade down the road, for either Cousins or Mond.

Keep in mind that Cousins is only 32 and he's one of those QBs who's never hurt. Those guys tend to play a long long time. Favre played until 41, Brees 42, etc. Brady is 11 years older than Kirk Cousins, meaning we could feasibly see Cousins running out the tunnel in the year 2032. Skol. 
Agreed. There's no way the Vikings aren't going extend Cousins if he has a great year. The team likes him a lot more than most fans and rightly so. I'm all about whomever the next QB is that starts for Minnesota being more toward the 'modern' prototype (Mond, Murray, Wilson, Jackson, Mahomes, Fields, etc.) but they'll have to unseat Cousins in a real way. That might be very hard to do. 

[Image: tenor.gif]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Agreed. There's no way the Vikings aren't going extend Cousins if he has a great year. The team likes him a lot more than most fans and rightly so. I'm all about whomever the next QB is that starts for Minnesota being more toward the 'modern' prototype (Mond, Murray, Wilson, Jackson, Mahomes, Fields, etc.) but they'll have to unseat Cousins in a real way. That might be very hard to do. 
But, at some point the team has to look at the increasing percentage that KC takes up against the cap & say get me off of this Merry Go Round.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

But, at some point the team has to look at the increasing percentage that KC takes up against the cap & say get me off of this Merry Go Round.
Cousins cap hit is #7 in the NFL for QBs in 2021. Here's what I'd say: can you blame him for anything last season? I can't. Is he a top 10 NFL QB? I'd say absolutely. Is he perfect? Nope. He's not going anywhere for 2 years for sure, I say that's certainly enough time to find more out about him AND see what they have in Mond. Hell, draft another QB in next year's draft too. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

What if Cousins has a great year? And we go deep into the playoffs? And Cousins is an MVP candidate? At some point couldn't we also say, "give me more of the merry go round?"

A lot of people complain about his contract, but for most of his time here, his cap hit has ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack (14th in 2020). I don't think anyone can objectively argue that he didn't outperform that.

Now, yes, he ranks 3rd in '21 (in terms of cap hit). But even with a 31M cap hit, I didn't see us struggling to pay for free agents this year.  

It goes up even more '22 (he'll rank 2nd). But the cap for all teams goes up as well. And if we extend him, his cap number goes down again (like it did in '20). Do we want to keep cycling through this? Maybe. It all depends on how he performs. It's not complicated. If he underperforms, '22 will probably be his last year as a Viking. If he plays well, you've got to extend him. You just do. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Cousins cap hit is #7 in the NFL for QBs in 2021. Here's what I'd say: can you blame him for anything last season? I can't. Is he a top 10 NFL QB? I'd say absolutely. Is he perfect? Nope. He's not going anywhere for 2 years for sure, I say that's certainly enough time to find more out about him AND see what they have in Mond. Hell, draft another QB in next year's draft too. 
His year end stats looked good, but most came after we were 1-5.  If you look at how he played in the first 6 games, his 10+ turnovers sure played a role in that poor start.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
The right team, right situation. I think that might be the 2021 Vikings. He's a very good QB. I see a mini-window this year and next, no Super Bowl its Kellen Mond time 2 years from now potentially.

Cousins is good enough. We need a run and some luck. I like the next two years. 
Considering how many pending free agents we have,  and how even moderate success on offense could have us looking for a new OC once again,  I say its this year or bust.
Odd comment considering the Vikings have the 2nd youngest roster in the NFL.

That's one of the fascinating things about what the Vikings have done. Right under the nose of all the folks clamoring to tear it all down and rebuild, the Vikings have already done it. They've rebuilt this team. Defensive line rebuilt and young. Offensive line completely rebuilt and the youngest OL in the NFL. Starting RB is 25. Starting TE is 22. Best WR is 22. DB room and now even the QB room a good mix of veteran and youth. 

They ripped the bandaid off last year on D and it showed.  But this year they mixed in some vets with the youth.  If the O-line comes together, the offense could be set for a while.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

His year end stats looked good, but most came after we were 1-5.  If you look at how he played in the first 6 games, his 10+ turnovers sure played a role in that poor start.
Cousins also led the league in the amount of INTs coming as a result of tipped balls and hail marys. 

Still, he didn't play well. No two ways around that. So why was he so bad early on? No training camp? Maybe. No preseason? Maybe. Adjusting to Kubiak? Maybe. Playing Bisi as our WR2? Maybe. Who knows? But either way, they got it figured out, and if you section off his final 10 games, he was ridiculous--a top 5 QB. Fair to section off his final 10 games? No less fair than sectioning off his first 6.

So like I've said before, if those poor games came sporadically it would suggest inconsistency. If late, then decline. But because it happened at the beginning of the season, it's likely that the OC, the QB and his weapons were not on the same page. 

At any rate, I would be much more concerned if that's how he ended the season than began it.