Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a team....
Still Hurtn

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Of all the Viking disappointments that was probably 100x more painful than any other loss.  We should have beaten them by 20 and we just found ways to keep giving the game away.  The fumble right before half time, not staying in bound, missing the short FG, dropping interceptions on the last drive, kneeling on the ball.  It took me months before I could look at a sports page again.  One of the best teams in NFL history and we just flat out choked.  
Same. Thought the Vikings had used up a lifetime of bad luck on that one. Then a game with just as many WTF moments happened again in 2009. 

I thought going into SuperDome would be a tall order in 09. Especially after going 1/3 in December. That mos. cost us homefield. 

But I also thought that team had Favre luck on our side. I mean Favre to Lewis? C'mon.

I was also warned by soooo many Packer acquaintances he'd break our hearts, and they were right. Oh how that pass across the body stung - and stings to this day. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Of all the Viking disappointments that was probably 100x more painful than any other loss.  We should have beaten them by 20 and we just found ways to keep giving the game away.  The fumble right before half time, not staying in bound, missing the short FG, dropping interceptions on the last drive, kneeling on the ball.  It took me months before I could look at a sports page again.  One of the best teams in NFL history and we just flat out choked.  
I can understand that.

I dont know if you were a fan back in the 70's or too young? But for me that last SB loss to Stabler, Belitnikof, Shell, Upshaw, Madden, Casper was a dark day.  

January 1977, Rosebowl. 

End of the Purple People Eater era. That one stung me the most. I was too young for the other SB losses. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Anyone besides me who was at that NFCCG in 1/99?
I was there. Was in a wedding in Utah the day before, drove all night to get there for kickoff with a Viking buddy. All adrenaline. Boy was I tired when I had to drive home in a snowstorm that night....

Quote: @"Still Hurtn" said:
Still Hurtn
A better moniker has never been done on this forum....says it all. There's a special burn for those of us that were in that stadium for that game. Nobody left early because it went to overtime so when the brutal ending came, nobody could leave quickly because the stadium was still 100% full. There was a logjam to get out. So we were all forced to watch the Falcons celebrate and receive the NFCC trophy from Terry Bradshaw (I think it was) at midfield. Just fucking brutal. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I thought going into SuperDome would be a tall order in 09. Especially after going 1/3 in December. That mos. cost us homefield. 

But I also thought that team had Favre luck on our side. I mean Favre to Lewis? C'mon.

I was also warned by soooo many Packer acquaintances he'd break our hearts, and they were right. Oh how that pass across the body stung - and stings to this day. 
Worst thing for me, I knew this was going to happen.  Said to my family in the preseason.  He is going to play well and make us all love it and then break our hearts.  I knew it, but still fell for it.