Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CBS Sports predicts our offense to be "average".
Unless there are injuries to key offensive players, this offense will be no less than 10th in the NFL

I don’t think it’s a given that we’ve made “line
improvements”.  Rookies frequently take
time to season, and we’ve got plenty of experience with watching our young
OLine show some glimmers of hope, but also disappointment.

We’re also downgrading from a long time, well respected,
veteran OC to a rookie OC.

Our OL can't get any worse than it was last season.  Bradbury sucked.  Hoping putting a big mule next to him in Davis will help him out.
My prediction is Davis and Darrisaw are starters vs Bengals.  

Quote: @"nawlinsvike" said:
Our OL can't get any worse than it was last season.  Bradbury sucked.  Hoping putting a big mule next to him in Davis will help him out.
The good thing is rookie O-linemen start every year in the NFL and a team is usually able to fade that position better for rookie starters than others. You will see missed assignments sometimes for sure but the team is beefier now. I hope that Darrisaw and Davis can start Game 1. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"nawlinsvike" said:
The good thing is rookie O-linemen start every year in the NFL and a team is usually able to fade that position better for rookie starters than others. You will see missed assignments sometimes for sure but the team is beefier now. I hope that Darrisaw and Davis can start Game 1. 
I think we see a little more uncertainty at LT early on as Darrisaw learns the speed of the pro game,  but Darrisaw and Cleveland is a way better left side than Reiff and Dozier so even though I think its possible that we see a slight decline in performance from the LT spot,  overall the line should be improved.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

That's a good point.

Hopefully not a down-grade, but certainly a big question mark...

The musical chairs at OC under Zimmer has been nothing but a comedy

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"medaille" said:

That's a good point.

Good thing that rookie OC can use his pops as a sounding board, who just so happens to be a long time, well respected, veteran OC.

All these guys have to start somewhere, just like Stefanski did. And from what I hear, Stefanski has nothing but high praise for Lil Kubes. So while there may be some growing pains along the way, at least there'll be a full offseason and good talent on that side of the ball to make things a bit more easier for him. I just hope he'll be able to install some more modern approaches to the WCO, along with a more aggressive mindset. 

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"medaille" said:

That's a good point.

Good thing that rookie OC can use his pops as a sounding board, who just so happens to be a long time, well respected, veteran OC.

All these guys have to start somewhere, just like Stefanski did. And from what I hear, Stefanski has nothing but high praise for Lil Kubes. So while there may be some growing pains along the way, at least there'll be a full offseason and good talent on that side of the ball to make things a bit more easier for him. I just hope he'll be able to install some more modern approaches to the WCO, along with a more aggressive mindset. 
we didnt change the HC... I dont think you will ever see an aggressive offensive mindset from a Zimmer led team..,.. and that will be why I dont think you will ever see a Zimmer led team go far in the playoffs.  IMO an NFL offense isnt something you try and throttle down,  sure you can take your foot off the gas and try and kill clock when you have a big lead,  but I dont think you can dial it up and down all game long like Zimmer seems to want them to do.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"medaille" said:

That's a good point.

we didnt change the HC... I dont think you will ever see an aggressive offensive mindset from a Zimmer led team..,.. and that will be why I dont think you will ever see a Zimmer led team go far in the playoffs.  IMO an NFL offense isnt something you try and throttle down,  sure you can take your foot off the gas and try and kill clock when you have a big lead,  but I dont think you can dial it up and down all game long like Zimmer seems to want them to do.
I get where you're coming from, considering that's been the MO for his tenure here. However, I can see a bit of a shift in aggressiveness (not philosophy) in things that have been discussed during the offseason - things like using motion more often, changing up play calls on 2nd down, etc. At least that would be my hope.

But you're definitely right when it comes to Zimmer taking his foot off the pedal at certain points in the game. That's one of my few gripes with him. He needs to get a killer mindset and go for the kill when the opportunities are there.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"nawlinsvike" said:
I think we see a little more uncertainty at LT early on as Darrisaw learns the speed of the pro game,  but Darrisaw and Cleveland is a way better left side than Reiff and Dozier so even though I think its possible that we see a slight decline in performance from the LT spot,  overall the line should be improved.
That's where i am. I fully expect Darrisaw and Davis to struggle early. But you can mitigate that to some degree with rollouts and play action. I know, we've been "mitigating" for 10 years, but the real improvement in my eyes will come from Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill hitting their 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons respectively. 

If we can get league average play from the rookies I think this can be a top half line by playoff time. And a damn good one in '22.