Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SURRATT!!
Probably better QB than Mond but Im thrilled with this pick. Was torn between him and Jabril Cox but Im sure the Vikes knew better than me

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Probably better QB than Mond but Im thrilled with this pick. Was torn between him and Jabril Cox but Im sure the Vikes knew better than me
Cox would have been a better thread title

Ranked ahead of Cox by McGinn....

9. Chazz Surratt, North Carolina (6-foot-2, 229, 4.59, Round 3): Redshirted as a quarterback in 2016 before starting seven games under center (80.1 passer rating) in ’17. Eyeing his NFL future, he voluntarily made the move to inside linebacker in 2019 and started in a 3-4 defense.
“He’s probably the closest one to being able to run your defense because he’s so intelligent,” said one scout. “It wouldn’t surprise me if at the end of the day, he’s the most productive of all these guys. He’s really athletic. He’s tough. He’s got to learn how to play under control. He can match in space. He’s got to get a little bit bigger.”
Said a second scout: “I was pleasantly surprised by the kid’s instincts and compete and tackling,” said a second scout. “He’s not a killer, but he’s a good wrap-up tackler. He can run and cover.”
His short arms (30¼ inches) concern some teams.
“If you want a guy that will bend people over backward, he’s not your guy,” a third scout said. “But for a guy who used to be a quarterback, he showed pretty good toughness. I just like the athlete.”
The Denver, N.C., native finished with 207 tackles (22½ for loss) and 18½ big plays.
“He needs time to develop,” a fourth scout said. “He is a vocal leader. He’s got problems getting off blocks. He’s got sideline-to-sideline speed.”

Vikings probably knew plenty about Cox because he was at NDSU all but this past season. 

What does Surratt offer that Troy Dye does not?   I thought Dye was supposed to be a smaller, faster cover-type linebacker?   

He might not like going up against Darrisaw in practice everyday...those highlights were brutal.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:
I never looked at this guy. Am I right thinking that this is the guy who ran the painfully slow 40? Could be wrong about that. Former QB, sounds like he's a project with some upside....

"He's barely played linebacker, so a lot of these mistakes he makes are going to disappear once he gets more snaps. It takes time, but he's smart and competes his ass off, so he'll get it." -- Personnel executive for AFC team
UH...no, not Surratt. Painfully slow 40 belonged to Paris Ford. 
They'll take him tomorrow lol. Vikings are fans or at least were. 

Well Barr is FA next year and Kendricks is nearing 30, so I'm hoping this is a pick to let a natural talent marinate for a year  soaking up knowledge before unleashing in 2022.  Plus we need LB depth, so it may as well be fast depth.

Which is a nice way of saying we just used picks 66 and 78 on a QB who won't play until at least 2023 and a 2021 ST gunner.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@MaroonBells said:
I never looked at this guy. Am I right thinking that this is the guy who ran the painfully slow 40? Could be wrong about that. Former QB, sounds like he's a project with some upside....

"He's barely played linebacker, so a lot of these mistakes he makes are going to disappear once he gets more snaps. It takes time, but he's smart and competes his ass off, so he'll get it." -- Personnel executive for AFC team
UH...no, not Surratt. Painfully slow 40 belonged to Paris Ford. 
They'll take him tomorrow lol. Vikings are fans or at least were. 
Maybe as an UDFA