Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Final Mock
I like it, but gotta find a way to get a punter and long snapper in there too.

Quote: @"PurpleCrush" said:
Day 4, UDFA season.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Phillips is a big swing, great upside. Franchise altering upside.

He's also, along with guys like Trey Smith, a huge gamble. With Hunter's neck, I just don't think we have the appetite for that large of a gamble.
Doing some specific digging on Phillips here is kind of the consensus I gathered: 

- Media: 3 concussions, wrist issue, and retired from football to pursue music since its his passion 
- NFL teams: 3 concussions are worrisome, wrist was a fluke accident and it alright, pursuing music helped him realize how much he really loved football 
- Miami Coaching staff: No durability issues, guy meticulously rebuilt his body, teammates love him, he quit his music courses since they were interfering with team activities/events 

The real answer is somewhere between all of those. Until I dug up quite a bit I figured he would be off more teams boards. In the end he had some bad luck with concussions early on but you can't deny the talent and I don't think music will be an off-field issue. Its a hobby not a career to him. 

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
I worry about Phillips too, but I think this mock would be a pretty nice result for us. Is drafting Phillips possibly a hedge against contract issues with Hunter going way south? I would have to wonder, as we just don’t know what’s really going on with that situation.
Not really, they want him to have a running mate. You can't game plan for Hunter when you have to account for a strong book-end. Strong DEs also make Zimmer's pressure packages go round since they can always rush 4. 

All valid points, but he's still got the 3 concussions.

Here is an interesting one for you... were they all actually concussions or a reoccurrence of one moderate concussion that led to a multitude of concussion like symptoms? Not saying either way but I know at least one team that thinks it was a single concussion that wasn't handled well.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Here is an interesting one for you... were they all actually concussions or a reoccurrence of one moderate concussion that led to a multitude of concussion like symptoms? Not saying either way but I know at least one team that thinks it was a single concussion that wasn't handled well.  
That's an interesting take. One concussion would be slightly more palatable.

I'm tiptoeing around this draft because it is Guru and I have zero team insight:

But I really dislike this draft.

1 - We "need" to get one of the Top 3 OT's - Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw.  That has to happen in the first round either at 14 or a slight move up.  If all 3 are gone I really advocate for a drop down and pick up a 2nd rounder and still have a shot at AVT in the 18-28 slot.   I would not draft Phillips for us at this time.  A team in full rebuild and multiple early picks should take the chance.  This draft is pretty deep at DE and we can find someone in round 2 (move up) or round 3.  I like Weaver from Pitt as a candidate. 

Pick (61) 2nd pick is, of course, fully dependent on the first pick.  If we got either of the Big 3 T's or fell back and got AVT, I would do the proposed move up for Levi -3T from Washington or a falling player at a position of need like Weaver.  I would not move up for a Guard in this draft because I think the 3rd pick(81) - Christensen - is a Guard and has the athleticism that Cleveland had coming out.  I also like Eichenberg (ND) as a Guard.  I think we could get either one of them at 90.  

Pick(81) Is it possible Levi or Weaver are still there?  Probably not, so in my move up scenario I go Levi because because the depth at DE and the shallowness of IDL.  Assume Weaver is gone then I would be targeting Dayo or  Sample.  Both have the size to do some interior rushing for us in the BRob mold to compliment Hunter's speed rush. 

Pick (90) Christensen or Eichenberg as Guard's.  With our scheme we like the athleticism of former Tackles playing Guard and both fit our mold.

Bottom line for me (it's all about me) is that we need to come away with a TOP 3 Tackles and a projected Guard from the tackle list.  If we are able to get a guy like Weaver or Levi then that would be an awesome draft for me even before getting in to the late day picks.  I also love Cisco at Safety but he likely gone before the 3rd round so no real shot at him and not a move up candidate because that need is not as great.  

Oh well, pumped for tonight!

@"PurpleCrush" said:
Day 4, UDFA season.
Too risky.....gotta go Day 2.

I'm a mixed bag at the top of this draft. 

As BN points out, with big questions with Hunter, do you dare take a chance with Phillips? 

Last I looked LT is pretty important and pretty open right now. For a team with aspirations of supplanting GB for The North, this draft strategy doesnt address that aggressively enough for me. I dont have any appetite for moving O'Neil or Cleveland. No assurance @ LG either last I looked. Could end-up with a dumpster fire over there. 

Now if I saw a move up for Slater or Sewell? I'd be dancing a jig over it. 

This draft would leave me uneasy, not in a state of Zen.