Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Mock Draft to Pass the Time
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Love it. I think Darrisaw is not only a good pick, it's the most likely. He's a good pass blocker and a great outside zone run blocker. He also has the longest arms of any of the top tackles in this draft. I know that's important to the Vikings. And I think we take Darrisaw over a player who might be a better overall offensive lineman in AVT. I think we do this because we want a tackle more than a guard.

You draft a guard here and you have more questions: Can Cleveland play LT? Do we still pursue OBJ or Fisher and move Cleveland back to guard? A Darrisaw pick answers all those questions and the starting OL is set. However,  I agree with you that Darrisaw might actually be our RT. 

Funny thing about Tryon. He's a perfect illustration of the big difference in draft analysts. Most media scouts had Tryon as a mid to late rounder going into the process. Then Jeremiah, Brandt and McGinn, guys known for their connections, rank him as a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. The smart media scouts (TDN, for example) adjust accordingly. The others are clueless and will be shocked and call him a reach when he goes top 40. 

Not a Trask fan, but I'm not going to complain about a QB in the 3rd round. Like I've said before, developmental QBs are a myth. You gotta get lucky. I prefer Mond, but Trask is as good a shot as any. 

Also agree that we'll take a guard to compete with Cole in the 3rd or 4th round. We'll also pull a pass rushing 3T from that area as well. 

My only issue is that I would probably switch the safety with the LB. I like Cisco, but I think it's more likely we resign Woods in '22 than Barr. Plus, there are some nice LBs in the middle rounds. 
I didn't believe the Tyron hype until I got time to watch the tape myself,  yeah... he is going to be a good one. 

The next mock one of my notes was too swap S for LB on the list of priorities so that is a good call-out. I think Xavier Woods could easily earn himself the FS job with a strong season. At the end of last year I also picked up on them liking Josh Metelleus quite a bit as well. He just isn't ready yet. 

Overall I think the first round argument is OT or DE with the opposite coming in round 2/3. I also think its very possibly they move up in the 1st if the opportunity presents itself, a rare move for the Vikings. But we can play around with that one later. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I think Darrisaw is tailor made for what we do.

I like Tryon, but I think there is better value later. A guy like Collins might be there at 56 

I'm not sure the franchise has the appetite to spend a Day 2 pick on a QB, but I wish they would. I've seen enough of Trask to quickly warm to the idea. A larger Cousins. Honestly, I'd take just about anything over Mannion.
The Vikings have done too much work on QBs to not consider one fairly early this year. That could easily be rounds 2/3 with Mond/Trask but could be a 4th or 5th on someone like Jamie Newman. So although drafting QBs hasn't been their M.O. I am very confident that is about the change. 

14, 3rd, 5th for Brown and 27# (Tyron, Rousseau or Phillips)
Leave day one with a LT for a decade and a potential stud DE. Anything else is icing on the cake

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I like Tryon, but I think there is better value later. A guy like Collins might be there at 56 

I'm not sure the franchise has the appetite to spend a Day 2 pick on a QB, but I wish they would. I've seen enough of Trask to quickly warm to the idea. A larger Cousins. Honestly, I'd take just about anything over Mannion.
The Vikings have done too much work on QBs to not consider one fairly early this year. That could easily be rounds 2/3 with Mond/Trask but could be a 4th or 5th on someone like Jamie Newman. So although drafting QBs hasn't been their M.O. I am very confident that is about the change. 
I know in your mock that you explain why you have the Vikings taking Trask, but what about the other options like Mond and Mills? Could you see them as being better fits or was it just the way your mock fell that Trask was available?

If we trade down and get Darrisaw I’d be thrilled. I think it’s more likely that we stay put and draft him at 14, but we’ll see.

Would be a huge fan of this draft overall. OL is the biggest need by far, then DL. I also really hope you’re right about the Vikings getting serious about drafting a QB. Even as a backup it’s worth a shot at maybe catching lightning in a bottle. This franchise is due for that kind of luck!

Quote: @pattersaur said:
If we trade down and get Darrisaw I’d be thrilled. I think it’s more likely that we stay put and draft him at 14, but we’ll see.

Would be a huge fan of this draft overall. OL is the biggest need by far, then DL. I also really hope you’re right about the Vikings getting serious about drafting a QB. Even as a backup it’s worth a shot at maybe catching lightning in a bottle. This franchise is due for that kind of luck!
OL is the biggest need, but if the argument is which provides the biggest impact, I think it's more debatable between OL and DE. Then I think it comes down to which of those positions they like more in round 3. Because that could be a factor in where they go in round 1. 

As much as I want the tackle, a defensive line of Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson and (1st round DE) is damned tempting. I think there's a couple of guys who work in Eagan who might agree. Trade for OBJ and maybe we can have our cake and eat it too. 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I know in your mock that you explain why you have the Vikings taking Trask, but what about the other options like Mond and Mills? Could you see them as being better fits or was it just the way your mock fell that Trask was available?
Personally I think you could get Mond to fit their current offensive system so he would be a consideration. I don't want to say that history is going to strike twice but Mond has a lot of Dak Prescott to him. For that matter he is a pretty universal scheme fit. 

Mills I am not as high on. He has a lot of what you look for but durability is a concern and he just never flashed enough to make you think his HS pedigree was accurate. He's kind of a guy riding the coat tails of his RIVALS ranking. Not to say that he doesn't have potential but I just don't want to buy into the idea he is this unearthed gem. He fits the offense but would put him as a distant 3rd behind Mond/Trask. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

OL is the biggest need, but if the argument is which provides the biggest impact, I think it's more debatable between OL and DE. Then I think it comes down to which of those positions they like more in round 3. Because that could be a factor in where they go in round 1. 

As much as I want the tackle, a defensive line of Hunter, Pierce, Tomlinson and (1st round DE) is damned tempting. I think there's a couple of guys who work in Eagan who might agree. Trade for OBJ and maybe we can have our cake and eat it too. 
The piece that never came out in the media last year is that when the Vikings were approaching #22 they were probably going to take K'Lavon Chaisson instead of Jefferson and then either trade up a few spots from #25 or sit there to grab who was left between Jefferson and Aiyuk. 

Reason I bring it up is that they've continued to try and find a pass rusher opposite of Hunter and are willing to spend quite a bit to do so. So I wouldn't sleep on DE being their first pick at all. 

Personally, if we protect Cousins, it doesn't matter what the D does. 5-1 when Cousins pressured 30% or less with a historically bad D last year.  I'll die on that hill.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:

The piece that never came out in the media last year is that when the Vikings were approaching #22 they were probably going to take K'Lavon Chaisson instead of Jefferson and then either trade up a few spots from #25 or sit there to grab who was left between Jefferson and Aiyuk. 

Reason I bring it up is that they've continued to try and find a pass rusher opposite of Hunter and are willing to spend quite a bit to do so. So I wouldn't sleep on DE being their first pick at all. 

Seems to me they had that guy on the roster, then traded him...