Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darnold traded to Panthers
Ahh, another over-drafted QB, which we’re about to see repeat itself, again & again...  Wink 

Panthers acquired QB Sam Darnold from the Panthers in exchange for three draft picks. The Panthers are sending a 2021 sixth-rounder New York's way before getting more serious in 2022, where they will be shipping off their second- and fourth-rounders. It's not much of a haul — future picks are inherently less valuable — but it's a lot better than nothing, with the second-rounder at least representing real draft capital. As part of the deal, the Panthers are exercising Darnold's (guaranteed for injury only) fifth-year team option for 2022. Darnold is an uninspired Teddy Bridgewater back-up plan after the Panthers put all their eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket, but they can convince themselves 24-year-old (in June) Darnold still has untapped upside. Picking eighth later this month, the move doesn't necessarily take the Panthers out of the running for a rookie signal caller, though they already know the top three quarterbacks will come off the board in the top three picks. Darnold arrives to challenge or usurp Bridgewater after a horrendous 2020 where he had more picks than passing scores. It's tough to properly evaluate Darnold considering the lack of offensive talent and coaching acumen around him in New York, but most players with a bright future would have already displayed some semblance of the ability to create instant offense by now. That being said, Panthers OC Joe Brady is on the short list of people you would want to try to turn Darnold around. Darnold should be considered the favorite to start in September. 
RELATED:  Change of scenery was big for Tannehill, maybe the same happens for the Human Turnover.

[Image: a-zTp5d__normal.jpg]
Louis Riddick
@LRiddickESPN
· 2h
Watching Matt Rhule actually communicate, teach ...COACH...at the Senior Bowl practices up close on the field was exactly what I needed so that now I can understand what Sam Darnold is going to be exposed to in Carolina. And it is good. Real good.

Sam Darnold=Blaine Gabbert

Quote: @JR44 said:
@StickyBun said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@StickyBun said:
So Teddy wasn't the answer?
Well, if the question was can I throw for more than 16TDs is a season...
lmao.
Well, if the question was can I beat a team with a winning record.....
And his next team will be his 4th. Teddy is a good kid who got paid, which is great for him. Heck, he might even be a bridge QB again somewhere. But other than for you, he's not any team's 'answer'. 

What??!! How does this make any sense? I really thought the Panthers were going to be one of the major players in either the Watson trade or moving up big to land their franchise QB.

Instead of that, they send a 6th rounder a couple of future picks for Sam Darnold? I think Darnold has been hurt by his surround, but is this even an upgrade over Teddy? I'm not even sure it is. 

One interesting thing about this is that it almost certainly means that all five QBs are going in the top 7. IMO, Panthers don't make that trade unless they know all 5 QBs are spoken for. 

Quote: @RS Express said:
Can Teddy Bridgewater find a team where either the running back (AP '14, McCaffrey '20) or his own knee doesn't blow up on him?  He'll never be an elite QB, but of the 3 seasons he's been the main starter, in 2 of them his star RB's played a total of 4 out of 32 games.  

Sadly I think this is where Teddy gets shuffled off to the land of career backups. 

Great move for the Jets.  Get their QB this year, use the avalanche of picks from Seattle (Jamal Adams trade) and Carolina to get him receivers.  And Carolina gets a 23-year-old with experience without giving up a 1. Now about alllll those turnovers...
Agree. Unfortunately Teddy is likely now on the downslope and headed toward a much lower paying gig to finish out his career. It's sad what happened to him, but i don't know any QBs who miss 2 years of prime development in their middle 20s and return like nothing ever happened. Vikings were wise to move on from him (and Bradford and Keenum) and get on the Cousins train when that opportunity presented itself. 

We do need a backup though. Bring him home, Rick. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
What??!! How does this make any sense? I really thought the Panthers were going to be one of the major players in either the Watson trade or moving up big to land their franchise QB.

Instead of that, they send a 6th rounder a couple of future picks for Sam Darnold? I think Darnold has been hurt by his surround, but is this even an upgrade over Teddy? I'm not even sure it is. 

One interesting thing about this is that it almost certainly means that all five QBs are going in the top 7. IMO, Panthers don't make that trade unless they know all 5 QBs are spoken for. 

Watson couldn't keep his pee pee in his pants is what happened there. 

If Darnold was in this draft class, knowing what you know now,  where do you slot him? Best I can go is QB4.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
If Darnold was in this draft class, knowing what you know now,  where do you slot him? Best I can go is QB4.

When you factor in 5 years of rookie deal versus the 2 left on Darnold's, he might even be QB6.
He totally might come out and wow everyone with new scenery, but he has not been good. I'm interested to see how Darnold and Wentz do with new teams. I was high on both when they were drafted, but it's been bumpy for em.