Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one that doubts QB Mac Jones?
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan asked on going to Alabama Pro Day tomorrow, and not North Dakota State or BYU, says it was important for the team not to tip its hand before the trade was done.

"Now that you're up at 3, you don't have to hide as much."

I'd be happier than my moniker if the Vikes drafted Fields.  That dude looks like a player to me.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan asked on going to Alabama Pro Day tomorrow, and not North Dakota State or BYU, says it was important for the team not to tip its hand before the trade was done.

Well damn. I guess there you have it?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Nope, I doubt him, too. But I doubt all of them. Here's how I'd rank them...right now...

1. Zach Wilson (arm, mobility and moxie too Mahomesy to ignore)
2. Trevor Lawrence (huge talent. But is accuracy there?)
3. Trey Lance (HUGE risk due to little experience against terrible competition. A gamble on greatness)
4. Mac Jones (He's a younger, faster KIrk Cousins and that's top 10)
5. Justin Fields (Show me a QB who's never gone through progressions and he will always be last on my list)
I struggle with anyone that puts Lawrence below #1.  He is being widely described as a generational talent.  Does this mean he won'f fail?  Absolutely not but he is clearly head and shoulders the top QB prospect since Luck.  Fields is the wildcard here, just not enough games in a weird season to get a good reading Lance too, big arm, very athletic but can he run an NFL system?   He could be Mahomes, he could be Manzell.  This is why QB is the single most difficult position to evaluate and the failure rate is so high.  So much is asked of these young men in a TEAM sport.  Supporting cast means so much.  

In a crazy year I rank them
Lawrence
Wilson
Fields
Lance
Jones
Mills
Trask 

@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

IT will be Lance. You dont trade up to 3 unless you KNOW you will get your guy. Lance is the ONLY guy guaranteed to be there at 3.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

IT will be Lance. You dont trade up to 3 unless you KNOW you will get your guy. Lance is the ONLY guy guaranteed to be there at 3.
I'm not even sure what that means. You don't trade up a month before the draft for "your guy." You trade up to three because you've identified three players you'd be very happy with, regardless of which one remains. Since we know it's a QB, it's fairly obvious two are Lawrence and Wilson. So the question is...who's the 3rd? Sure, it could be Lance. Could also be Fields. But it could also be Jones. If I were putting money on it, I'd bet on Jones. 

@"Canthony" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

I'm not even sure what that means. You don't trade up a month before the draft for "your guy." You trade up to three because you've identified three players you'd be very happy with, regardless of which one remains. Since we know it's a QB, it's fairly obvious two are Lawrence and Wilson. So the question is...who's the 3rd? Sure, it could be Lance. Could also be Fields. But it could also be Jones. If I were putting money on it, I'd bet on Jones. 

I've been thinking about putting actual money on Jones and Lance going at #3, both still decent plus money wagers but with the buzz on Jones the value may not last.

@"Canthony" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

This. Weirdly good things could happen at this #3 spot. They for sure love their QB board at the very least for the Top 3, but what if some dumb GM takes a player outside a QB at #2? Or a team trades up to the #2 spot for a non-QB? I mean, crazy stuff has happened. Not probably, but not impossible either.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

This. Weirdly good things could happen at this #3 spot. They for sure love their QB board at the very least for the Top 3, but what if some dumb GM takes a player outside a QB at #2? Or a team trades up to the #2 spot for a non-QB? I mean, crazy stuff has happened. Not probably, but not impossible either.
Raiders and Bears holding on line 1 and 2.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Canthony" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
· 2m

Won't matter to the 49ers. They'll just have two QBs to choose from instead of one. But it's so expensive to move up, I can't imagine a team moving to the top of the draft for anyone but Wilson or Lawrence.