Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guru: Vikings Mock Off-Season Plan
Nice job.

I would first say that there is no way they should give Reiff a 4 yr 48M extension. 
Duane Brown got a 3 year 34.5M extension at age 32 in 2018.
Reiff is not better than Brown was at age 32.
Why would they overpay him to stay?

The draft is stacked at offensive tackle and you took none as well.
That is a surprise but I could see the Vikings ignoring a strength of the draft.

I think Smith is a little high too.
I think the Malcolm Jenkins extension that he signed last year (4 yr 32M) is more close to what he should get.
Considering the lower cap, I expect it to be on the low side.

I think O'Neill is high and he fits in the 11M range which is between La'el Collins (5 yr 50) and Ju'Wuan James (4 year 51M).
I cant see him getting more than Jack Conklin who got a 3 yr 42M deal last year.
Conklin is a 2 time All Pro.

Leaving Barr's deal alone is crazy. 
He will end up getting released next year because absorbing another 15.6M cap hit for his imaginary production is not worth it to me.

I love the Harris and Taylor free agent signings.
Not sure about Gipson.

Drafting a STINKIN PUNTER is something I could never get behind.

If you want someone who can punt then draft Zach Davidson TE Central Missouri.

He is 6'7" 245.

https://ucmathletics.com/sports/football...idson/5837

In 2019: Became the premier tight end in Division II earning five First Team All-American awards ... He finished in the NCAA top-10 in both receiving touchdowns (15) and yards-per-reception (22.35) ... Set a Mules record for tight ends with 15 touchdown passes, second most in a single-season by any Mule  ... Finished the year with 40 catches for 894 yards

Continued to be one of the top punters in the NCAA as well with 48 kicks averaging 40.3 yards ... Downed 19 punts inside the opponents 20 with nine traveling 50+ yards and a long of 67 ... In addition to his five All-American awards, made two All-Region teams and was on the MIAA First Team as both a tight end and a punter.

In 2018: Had another outstanding season punting, leading the MIAA with a 42.8 average ... He downed 15 punts inside the 20 and drilled nine 50+ yards ... His 42.8 average per punt is second in Mules history, behind only his 2017 season ... In eight of 11 games averaged at least 40 yards per kick ...

Why not get a two for one player?

I don't like the corner in the 1st round again.  I would take one later.

I prefer they get a veteran and there should be plenty available and likely for cheap.

Nice work Geoff.

Hopefully Mrs. Spielman nixes another CB pick.

As always, love seeing your input. It helps reign me in a bit when I go off the straight path and come up with somewhat wild offseason scenarios.

By the way, I called 1st round CB way back. Not because I think they should, but would you really be surprised?  Wink

I would be more than satisfied with those FA acquisitions.

Regarding the draft:
Hate the 1st round CB like everyone else
I don't see Trey Smith as a good fit in a ZBS. Aaron Banks of ND should be available there & would be a better fit.
Although they may trust Browning to step in for KC if needed, with all of the picks that they have, I would like to see them add a QB with more upside.
Don't see the need to spend draft picks on a punter & kicker.  They recently signed Greg Joseph to kick & gave him some guaranteed money. Go ahead & add a kicker & punter as UDFAs & have a camp battle, but can't see drafting either.

Thanks for doing this. I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Yep. There's going to be a run of online TV purchases amongst Viking Nation if that happens. 

Oh, if I'm bringing in a ST guy, it's Patterson. 

Smile 

Oh, if I'm bringing in a ST guy, it's Patterson. 

Smile 
It all comes down to how much trust you have in Mike Hughes. Personally you can't rely on him with the neck issue. So you're left with Kris Boyd, Harrison Hand, or Chris Jones starting on the outside. So some how, some way, CB is still a very big need.

Although I think the Vikings would consider bringing Patterson back I don't foresee that happening it was a bad breakup.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Thank you for considerable time and effort - as always. 

Now I am going to Best Buy and shop for a new tv. 
Always happy to speed up the process. Make sure to buy an LG  Wink

Nice job, Geoff. If that's what we end up with, I'd be pretty happy. Some thoughts. 

• You're right that Vikings can't put anything onto 2022, but I think we have over $100M in space in 23. A lot of that will be used to accommodate the Hunter extension when it comes, but I can see us pushing some bonus into those years for players like Kendricks to free up some more space this year. 

• I'd keep Todd Davis over Hardy Nickerson. 

• Shelby Harris is aiming a little high, but I love it. We have a lot of options here (Geno if he's cut, Rankins, Suh), but Harris would be the best of them if we can afford it.

• Love Lane Taylor. Coming off of injury, his price will be low and he played very well against us in the opener. Scheme fit. 

• Not a fan of the corner pick. We need a corner, but we don't need to get younger and cheaper there. I'd add a cheap veteran there and replace that 1st round pick with an edge or OL. 

• Rest of the draft looks good. Love adding Harris AND Nixon. But I'd add nose depth in there somewhere. I don't typically like drafting kickers but with 10 picks, it's something we should absolutely consider. I think Elijah Moore in the 4th is a pipe dream.