Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supafreak84's Mock Draft (version 1.0)
Quote: @rf54 said:
I like the Barmore pick but think the Vikings are far more likely to trade down to try and get a 2nd than give up picks to move up into the 2nd.
Normally I would agree but it just makes more sense this year to try and move up from the 3rd round with all our mid round draft capital. We have a lot of picks that we can move to accomplish that

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Jor-El said:
Good draft, but I'm not sold on your trade into the 2nd to acquire Quinn Meinerz. He's not been on my radar, so maybe I am just uninformed, but he seems like a guy we pick up in a later round...wouldn't he likely be available at pick 79 (our own 3rd)? It feels like you are trading up in to the 2nd just to say "we prioritized OL with a pick higher than the third round." OK, but aren't we giving up those resources to get a prospect that is almost certain to put Dozier on the bench? I can't count on a guy from UW-Whitewater to do that.

I think you're illustrating one of the depth gaps in this draft: if we don't draft Vera-Tucker, Slater, or Davis, is there another OG who is a "plug and play" starter? I have my doubts, especially since the Vikings probably don't want some of the power-scheme guards like Creed Humphrey or Jackson Carman. Who else?

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Personally I still haven't warmed up to Barmore. He is NFL ready and could start day one but I'm not convinced you can pass on a "blue-chip" prospect at #14 to fill a need. I think to take Barmore you need to trade back. You likely aren't getting a 2nd to move back but maybe that gives you an additional 4th which makes your proposed trade with NO even more palatable since you'd only net be giving up a 3rd and 5th. 
Who do you think we would possibly pass on at #14? Obviously it will unfold between now and draft day, but I just can't see this team taking another WR, so one name that keeps appearing in draft simulators is Micah Parsons. If he slides to 14, is he a guy the Vikings could not stand to pass up?

I'm basing my projection of him on another division III standout offensive lineman who went to the Senior Bowl and dominated on his way to being a second round pick for Tampa Bay, Ali Marpet. I think Meinerz would be a similar projection after his Senior Bowl week performance.  I think what makes it a little more difficult is he didn't play football last season due to Covid and his school shutting down the season.  Still though have to love what you see on tape with him.

Maybe Guru can chime in on where here on where he projects Meinerz
He dominated the senior bowl but I still don't think you can completely overlook his actual game tape. On tape alone he is a day 3 pick. Based on what he showed at the senior bowl he was up there with the best of them. When all is set and done I think that leaves him somewhere on day 2, which is an awesome story. Teams will probably have him all over the place but I don't think a team with a center need will grade many guys ahead of him. So that could mean he is picked in round 2 but more likely probably round 3. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@rf54 said:
I like the Barmore pick but think the Vikings are far more likely to trade down to try and get a 2nd than give up picks to move up into the 2nd.
Normally I would agree but it just makes more sense this year to try and move up from the 3rd round with all our mid round draft capital. We have a lot of picks that we can move to accomplish that
Overall I think folks get caught up and think we "need a 2nd round pick". We don't unless there is a player who will be drafted in round 2 you can't live without. So if you have 2 guys you love in round 3 you can grab just hold the picks and prosper. There isn't an underlying necessity for a 2nd round pick especially at the expense of missing out on a high-end prospect just to check that box. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@rf54 said:
Overall I think folks get caught up and think we "need a 2nd round pick". We don't unless there is a player who will be drafted in round 2 you can't live without. So if you have 2 guys you love in round 3 you can grab just hold the picks and prosper. There isn't an underlying necessity for a 2nd round pick especially at the expense of missing out on a high-end prospect just to check that box. 
I think many of us (myself included) are also feeling the need to address BOTH the offensive and defensive lines, with a general sense that the Vikings need to address DT and OG, hopefully adding a likely starter for each. Free agency could change the perception, but until then, draft simulation has the urge to improve both lines.

As I mentioned earlier, there are only a few OG prospects who look like they would definitely start immediately (Slater, Vera-Tucker, Davis), so what if we don't get one of those? IMO there appears to be more "developmental material" in the middle rounds at DT.

@supafreak84 said:
@rf54 said:
I get this point but in my view, there are alot more BIG hits in the 2nd round when it comes to career performance.  Im aware of the Dani Hunters and all that but i would think for every one of him there is a Michael Thomas and an Elgton Jenkins 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@rf54 said:
I get this point but in my view, there are alot more BIG hits in the 2nd round when it comes to career performance.  Im aware of the Dani Hunters and all that but i would think for every one of him there is a Michael Thomas and an Elgton Jenkins 
There can be great players in round 2 without a doubt. My point is that you trade up for one of those high-end players if you identify them. Just don't trade into round 2 so you can throw a dart. If you are only trying to get a chance to throw the dart throwing 2 in round 3 is a better option. 

I don't disagree with SF84 that a top priority is a 3T, but if the Superbowl taught us anything, a compromised OLine even makes an Elite QB like Mahomes look pedestrian. I really want to use the top pick on another OLineman to solidify the middle. Alijah Vera-Tucker is gaining a lot of steam and is getting associated with the Vikings at 14. That seems a little high, and I'm not sure he is the best scheme fit assuming Kubiak doesn't change up the ZBS, but definitely a name to keep an eye on. 

@supafreak84 said:
@Jor-El said:
Good draft, but I'm not sold on your trade into the 2nd to acquire Quinn Meinerz. He's not been on my radar, so maybe I am just uninformed, but he seems like a guy we pick up in a later round...wouldn't he likely be available at pick 79 (our own 3rd)? It feels like you are trading up in to the 2nd just to say "we prioritized OL with a pick higher than the third round." OK, but aren't we giving up those resources to get a prospect that is almost certain to put Dozier on the bench? I can't count on a guy from UW-Whitewater to do that.

I think you're illustrating one of the depth gaps in this draft: if we don't draft Vera-Tucker, Slater, or Davis, is there another OG who is a "plug and play" starter? I have my doubts, especially since the Vikings probably don't want some of the power-scheme guards like Creed Humphrey or Jackson Carman. Who else?

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Personally I still haven't warmed up to Barmore. He is NFL ready and could start day one but I'm not convinced you can pass on a "blue-chip" prospect at #14 to fill a need. I think to take Barmore you need to trade back. You likely aren't getting a 2nd to move back but maybe that gives you an additional 4th which makes your proposed trade with NO even more palatable since you'd only net be giving up a 3rd and 5th. 
Who do you think we would possibly pass on at #14? Obviously it will unfold between now and draft day, but I just can't see this team taking another WR, so one name that keeps appearing in draft simulators is Micah Parsons. If he slides to 14, is he a guy the Vikings could not stand to pass up?

I'm basing my projection of him on another division III standout offensive lineman who went to the Senior Bowl and dominated on his way to being a second round pick for Tampa Bay, Ali Marpet. I think Meinerz would be a similar projection after his Senior Bowl week performance.  I think what makes it a little more difficult is he didn't play football last season due to Covid and his school shutting down the season.  Still though have to love what you see on tape with him.

He dominated the senior bowl but I still don't think you can completely overlook his actual game tape. On tape alone he is a day 3 pick. Based on what he showed at the senior bowl he was up there with the best of them. When all is set and done I think that leaves him somewhere on day 2, which is an awesome story. Teams will probably have him all over the place but I don't think a team with a center need will grade many guys ahead of him. So that could mean he is picked in round 2 but more likely probably round 3. 

Sounds like we have a similar projection on him, although I thought he looked pretty dominant on game tape against lesser opponents and that's how he even got the Senior Bowl invite. It's going to be interesting to see how high he ultimately ends up going

Quote: @TBro said:
I don't disagree with SF84 that a top priority is a 3T, but if the Superbowl taught us anything, a compromised OLine even makes an Elite QB like Mahomes look pedestrian. I really want to use the top pick on another OLineman to solidify the middle. Alijah Vera-Tucker is gaining a lot of steam and is getting associated with the Vikings at 14. That seems a little high, and I'm not sure he is the best scheme fit assuming Kubiak doesn't change up the ZBS, but definitely a name to keep an eye on. 

Like I said, unless an elite talent, say a Kyle Pitts unexpectedly falls into our laps...there is just no way this pick isn't an offensive or defensive lineman. My bet is defense though as Mike Zimmer has dropped several hints and went so far to say this is the "worst defense he's ever had."  There is just no way they are going to allow that to happen again and that's Zimmer's bread and butter. 

Interior offensive line is obviously a huge need, but we have so many potential moving parts at this point that we could have positional switches or new players at every position. I also think there is more depth at that position where you can get a quality lineman or two in the second, third, and fourth rounds. It's going to be a very interesting draft this year and I'm curious to see how Rick plays this

@supafreak84 said:
@Jor-El said:

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Disagree a bit. I don't think it's his UWW game tape that makes him day three; I think it's his DIII pedigree.

Now i'm not going to pretend i knew anything about Meinerz until the Senior Bowl, but I knew he had some serious buzz going in. It's why he was there. And the UWW clips I've seen since then were pretty dominant. 

But the question about these DIII guys is always...sure you can knock future accountants on their asses, but let's see how you do against Power Five defenders? He answered that question.