Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts
IMHO, we have seen the best of Zimmer as a head coach.  I base my opinion not just on this year but on the totality of his reign as HC.  It would be one thing if I thought he was getting better in his deficient areas (such as clock management and in game adjustments) but he is not.  In a game where teams are fairly evenly matched (such as the playoffs), do you really want him to be your head coach?  He is also very stubborn and in many ways started to remind me of Childress this year.  There is an old saying that you don't lose your starting job due to injury but with Zimmer that is the only way a player loses his starting job.  Zimmer is a great coach if you aspire to play one playoff game every other year; I hope the Vikings aspire to more.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
Recorded yesterday's game, not going to watch.  Been really busy this year so unable to post these weekly.
  • Kendricks and Rudolph should be on IR today.  No reason to play them again this season.  I would actually consider cutting Rudolph and see if someone picks him up off of waivers (I think he must go through waivers) in order to pick up a little additional cap space.  Probably too insulting to do to him though.
  • Start Browning or Stanley.  No preseason, so this is the only way to give the more promising of the two some game action.
  • Last Year's Chicago Offensive Line:  I would do the same thing as last year in the Chicago game and play a lot of backups across the offensive line.  The downside of this is we get to complain all game long about Dozier having started 15 games.  I would love to see both Collins and Hinton play.  Udoh played well last year (not that it meant anything to the coaching staff).
  • Fire Zimmer:  You want the Vikes to be in the playoffs every other year, he is your coach.  I am getting too old for that.  Roll the dice for greatness.
  • Stop Drafting for Special Teams.   
Agree with all except fire Zimmer.

I've blasted Zimmer when he's deserved it after games where his game plan was just baffling, but I didn't see that so much this year. I saw a team struggling to scrape together enough healthy bodies to field a team. I think with a full preseason, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Pierce, Hughes, etc....this is a different team. And it's hard to blame Zimmer for Covid and injuries to half his starters. 

Offense looks like it might remain among the best for a few years. What we're going to need is someone to bring the defense up to that level. I can't think of any better options than Zimmer. 

Really would like to see Cleveland and/or O'Neill at left tackle, Udoh on the right. 

i wouldn’t necessarily fire Zimmer based on this game, but on his overall performance as a coach, and not just this season either
Let me clarify. Firing Zimmer would not upset me. Like I've said many times, he does things that piss me off, from time management to what seems like poor game prep. If he's fired, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

It's not the decision I would make though. So many want us to bring in an offensive guy, which confuses me. Vikings already have one of the league's best offenses, and the future there looks bright. We need to get everyone healthy, add a 3T and see if we can't bring the defense back. Can't think of too many defensive minds I'd want in charge of that than Mike Zimmer. 

He would be fine as a DC, but as you mention, team preparation, clock managment, game planning...he stinks at all those.  When have the Vikings won a big game during his tenure?  MSP Miracle, which took a miracle.
Who's your choice? Let's hear it. Viking fans have this tendency to want the elusive abstract: "the young offensive mind," "the young, mobile QB," etc, etc. Well who? "Oh I don't know, one of those young offensive minds. Y'know, like that guy in Philly...Er...wait." 

Well that's great 'n all but leadership has to be a little more specific than that. Who do you bring in that will select the right 3T, groom our young corners, and bring our defense back to what it was and not become the next Patricia, Gase, Nagy, O'Brien, Fangio, Quinn, etc, etc.?

No idea, but that’s not my job to select coaches.  All I can go by is what I see with Zimmer.  Oh and his results