Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Longwell on Dan Bailey
Quote: @StickyBun said:
The 'Zimmer is the Death God to kickers' is so overplayed. Are the other coaches massaging their feet and feeding them Nacho cheese Doritos on the sideline before every kick? Making the heart sign with their hands and pointing to them as the kickers walk onto the field? 

MAKE. THE. KICK. Its what they all are paid to do.
IT'S. NOT. THAT. EASY. Baseball players are paid to hit the damn ball. Basketball players are paid to make the damn shot. Golfers are paid to make the damn putt. Doesn't mean it's going to happen all the time. 

I do think you're onto something about the cheese doritos though. And I'm not joking about that. The psychology of it is a big deal. If someone could ever unravel the psychology of what makes shooters, hitters, kickers, throwers slump and get hot, he would make billions. 

I have no idea what Zimmer does to get in kickers heads to badly. But he's old school. Wouldn't surprise me if he still uses that fake tough bullshit, as if it's ever worked. Maybe tell him a joke before he goes out there instead of threatening him. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The 'Zimmer is the Death God to kickers' is so overplayed. Are the other coaches massaging their feet and feeding them Nacho cheese Doritos on the sideline before every kick? Making the heart sign with their hands and pointing to them as the kickers walk onto the field? 

IT'S. NOT. THAT. EASY. Baseball players are paid to hit the damn ball. Basketball players are paid to make the damn shot. Golfers are paid to make the damn putt. Doesn't mean it's going to happen all the time. 

I do think you're onto something about the cheese doritos though. And I'm not joking about that. The psychology of it is a big deal. If someone could ever unravel the psychology of what makes shooters, hitters, kickers, throwers slump and get hot, he would make billions. 

I have no idea what Zimmer does to get in kickers heads to badly. But he's old school. Wouldn't surprise me if he still uses that fake tough bullshit, as if it's ever worked. Maybe tell him a joke before he goes out there instead of threatening him. 

So who was the Dan Bailey of 2019 coached by the same demonic Mike Zimmer? Was he body snatched? 93.1% FG percentage and 2nd best KO average of his career last year. Lots of assumptions being made about how Zimmer treats Bailey. We have zero idea what actually happens. 

I've been pondering Bailey's dramatic crash of the last few weeks and I'm wondering if it could be associated with the change in long snappers. I know kicking is completely timing based and just think something could have changed with the snap that is affecting his timing and has screwed up his confidence.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
I've been pondering Bailey's dramatic crash of the last few weeks and I'm wondering if it could be associated with the change in long snappers. I know kicking is completely timing based and just think something could have changed with the snap that is affecting his timing and has screwed up his confidence.
Ryan Longwell did an interview recently, where he brought up that exact scenario being a likely reason for Bailey's struggles. 

I don’t think you’re looking for a guy who doesn’t have bad
games.  Almost all kickers go through
weird stretches where they miss at a higher than normal rate.  I think you’re looking for a guy who doesn’t
let it get into his head and snowball for too long.

I do think it’s the wrong to say just kick the ball
better.  It’s a 3 person process to
me.  The long snapper, holder, and kicker
are all working together to maximize the chances the ball goes through the
uprights.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

So who was the Dan Bailey of 2019 coached by the same demonic Mike Zimmer? Was he body snatched? 93.1% FG percentage and 2nd best KO average of his career last year. Lots of assumptions being made about how Zimmer treats Bailey. We have zero idea what actually happens. 
No, we're only making assumptions based on his history and what some players have said--that he can be sort of a hardass. That may not have an effect when things are going well, but one missed kick, followed by a well timed comment, and things might spiral. 

Typically in zoom meetings I'm the life of the party, but I know when one particular Sr. Executive is on the call, I tend to freeze up a little bit. She doesn't even have to say anything, just her presence makes me hyperventilate. *L* Just sayin...

I still think Bailey snaps out of it. 

At least its just kickers. With Tice, it was punters too. That home game against the Buffalo was brutal. It didn't help we had a group of Bills fans sitting right behind us that game.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:

That is what I am saying.  He was great last year, but was cut in Dallas because he struggled.  So he seemingly had conquered his demons until an interruption to his timing has gotten him in a slump again.  Kicking is a lot like hitting in baseball/softball.  Too much time to think about it between chances and those chances are rather limited.  Then you get back up there and the pressure is to make up for the last one. 

Bailey has a great record. Anyone remember the game where Crosby missed 4 FG’s., course its always a luxury to play on the same O as a HOF QB, he’ll likely bail you out gag

Quote: @greediron said:
@1VikesFan said:

That is what I am saying.  He was great last year, but was cut in Dallas because he struggled.  So he seemingly had conquered his demons until an interruption to his timing has gotten him in a slump again.  Kicking is a lot like hitting in baseball/softball.  Too much time to think about it between chances and those chances are rather limited.  Then you get back up there and the pressure is to make up for the last one. 
hitting a baseball is easy,  try golf,  imo that is closest to kicking a football for me.