Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Getting Calls On Kyle Rudolph
Rudolph is massively overrated.  He is good for about 40 to 50 catches per year, 500 yards, and 5 or 6 TDs on average.  He is off the a very slow start this year and may stat pad later in meaningless games.  In 2012 he was a Pro Bowl replacement and in 2017 he was a replacement again.  Never voted originally.

Spielman really messed up the TE situation in 2019.

You don't spend a 2nd round pick on a TE and then give your current TE a sizable raise.  Well, most teams don't.  The Eagles signed Ertz to a 5 year 42.5 mil extension in Jan of 2016.  They drafted Dallas Goedert in the 2nd round of 2018.  The Rams drafted Gerald Everett in the 2nd round in 2017.  They gave Tyler Higbee a 4 year 29 mil extension in Sept of 2019.  

The Vikings drafted Smith in the 2nd round of 2019 and then gave Rudolph a 4 year 36 mil extension in June of 2019.  Incredibly stupid.

What other team spends a high draft pick on a TE and then immediately gives their current TE a sizable raise?  Freaking unbelievable.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
Rudolph is massively overrated.  He is good for about 40 to 50 catches per year, 500 yards, and 5 or 6 TDs on average.  He is off the a very slow start this year and may stat pad later in meaningless games.  In 2012 he was a Pro Bowl replacement and in 2017 he was a replacement again.  Never voted originally.

You don't spend a 2nd round pick on a TE and then give your current TE a sizable raise.  Well, most teams don't.  The Eagles signed Ertz to a 5 year 42.5 mil extension in Jan of 2016.  They drafted Dallas Goedert in the 2nd round of 2018.  The Rams drafted Gerald Everett in the 2nd round in 2017.  They gave Tyler Higbee a 4 year 29 mil extension in Sept of 2019.  

The Vikings drafted Smith in the 2nd round of 2019 and then gave Rudolph a 4 year 36 mil extension in June of 2019.  Incredibly stupid.

What other team spends a high draft pick on a TE and then immediately gives their current TE a sizable raise?  Freaking unbelievable.
Teams that intend on making a 2 TE set a major part of their offense.

love Rudy and Smith.  Tough to see them traded

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
love Rudy and Smith.  Tough to see them traded
Me too...

We've all watched enough football to know they'd be most impactful (and rewarded as players) playing on a contender at this point in their careers.

This year is all about next year and beyond. They wont be part of that. 

I am looking for more than playoffs. I want to get to the big game. Take those calls and get some picks. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:

Teams that intend on making a 2 TE set a major part of their offense.
While this is true there was no need to extend Rudolph early.  The facts are plain for all to see.  No team employs this strategy with their tight ends.  Not that I can find recently.

It was a bad extension and they'll eventually eat some dead cap space for the mediocre production they get from Rudolph.

@MarkSP18 said: It was a bad extension and they'll eventually eat some dead cap space for the mediocre production they get from Rudolph.

Nothing mediocre about his ability to catch. Did you not see his one handed grab against the Saints to give the Vikings a playoff win in the back off the end zone when he was fully covered?

It's not Rudy's fault he doesn't get the targets he once did.

I'm not sure about the dead cap money comment either,... because I think Rudy has a few teams interested in him if the Vikings want to unload him for a late round pick.

What is his trade value? I think it will be based on supply and demand. In a perfect world, Spielman will work a couple of team for the best draft pick right up to the trade deadline.  

RS will get an offer for a 3rd from one team and a 4th from another then he will say how about a 5th and 6th instead.  

Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
@MarkSP18 said: It was a bad extension and they'll eventually eat some dead cap space for the mediocre production they get from Rudolph.

Nothing mediocre about his ability to catch. Did you not see his one handed grab against the Saints to give the Vikings a playoff win in the back off the end zone when he was fully covered?

It's not Rudy's fault he doesn't get the targets he once did.

I'm not sure about the dead cap money comment either,... because I think Rudy has a few teams interested in him if the Vikings want to unload him for a late round pick.

What is his trade value? I think it will be based on supply and demand. In a perfect world, Spielman will work a couple of team for the best draft pick right up to the trade deadline.  
That is the thing that blinds people.  Rudy does have good hands and is capable of pulling off one amazing catch a year.

But just like with defenders getting interceptions (Harris comes to mind), people get enamored with the one thing and do not see the whole package.

If the Vikings trade him now or after the season, they will take a 4.35 mil dead money cap hit.  They would save 5.1 mil though.

They prorated his signing bonus over 5 seasons (1.45 mil per season) and he would have 3 seasons left on his deal. 

He wont see the entire deal as he turns 31 in a couple of weeks.

The fact is that there are no other teams in the NFL that drafted TE in the 2nd round and then IMMEDIATELY gave their current TE a sizable extension.

Only one team employed this strategy.

the Vikings have to shed Salary period.  They might as well get something for it.