Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The good news is, this is the year to draft a QB!!
Quote: @"Carl Knowles" said:
@Jor-El said: 

You may well be right, but IMO if Justin Fields goes 
#2 it will be just like Robert Griffin going 2nd in 2012: a team that really wanted the unquestionably best QB (Luck in 2012) but fell short, convincing themselves that the runner-up was close even though he was far, far behind..

True, but don't forget in that same 2012 draft class Russell Wilson went #75. Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehill were all taken before Russell Wilson.

A diamond like Russell Wilson could be right under our noses in the 2021 class. Remember, Dak Prescott went #135 in 2016.

Keep an open mind, even scouts are wrong.
Has nothing to do with open minds.   Blind squirrels find nuts,   doesn't mean that squirrels with good vision dont find more nuts.  I doubt either Dallas or Seattle knew what they were getting when they drafted those guys.

@stickybuns, Yuck is pretty harsh! I get it you like the top 3 guys, but Lawerence and Fields will go 1 and 2 and Lance might be gone by pick 5. 

Zach Wilson is 5-0 this year, BYU is ranked 12th and could run the table the rest of the season (probably a BSC playoff bid). He has heisman hype out the ying yang right now. Remember, nobody thought Joe Burrow would be the #1 pick before the season last year (but he ran the table).

As a true freshman Wilson was 120/182 1578 yards 12 TD 3 picks. In the 2018 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Wilson was the MVP completing all 18 of his passes for 317 yds 4td. Highlights of that game are worth a look on youtube.

If he checks out at 6'3 at the combine, I think he gets drafted in the first round.

BYU plays Texas State Saturday night on ESPN. Wilson is worth watching. He has a little Johny football and Patrick Mahomes to his game.

John Harris is a sideline reporter for the Houston Texans, he and Andre Ware are both calling Wilson is a first round pick right now. 

https://twitter.com/jharrisfootball/stat...19616?s=20
Here's a pretty in depth breakdown on your boy. Interesting:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/pro...ach-wilson

IMO, this is where I'm at on him:

"Wilson is listed at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, but is considered shorter. One scout said he was a “more athletic” Minshew and sees him as a high-end NFL backup. He’d like to see him against better competition, which is hard because Utah, Michigan State, Arizona State, Minnesota, Missouri and Stanford all disappeared off BYU’s schedule because of COVID-19."

One thing I'll say is the kid is a gunslinger and has swag: he'd be a fan favorite. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Carl Knowles" said:
@Jor-El said: 

You may well be right, but IMO if Justin Fields goes 
#2 it will be just like Robert Griffin going 2nd in 2012: a team that really wanted the unquestionably best QB (Luck in 2012) but fell short, convincing themselves that the runner-up was close even though he was far, far behind..

True, but don't forget in that same 2012 draft class Russell Wilson went #75. Brock Osweiler, Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehill were all taken before Russell Wilson.

A diamond like Russell Wilson could be right under our noses in the 2021 class. Remember, Dak Prescott went #135 in 2016.

Keep an open mind, even scouts are wrong.
Has nothing to do with open minds.   Blind squirrels find nuts,   doesn't mean that squirrels with good vision dont find more nuts.  I doubt either Dallas or Seattle knew what they were getting when they drafted those guys.
No, they didn't. And neither did New England when they drafted Brady in the 6th round. Some teams draft better than others. Some a LOT better. But luck is still the biggest factor, especially when it comes to QBs. 

Remember, Jerry Jones tried desperately to move up and take Paxton Lynch in the 1st round. After the draft, he was in a state of depression about the fact that he got cheap couldn't pull off that trade. 
“When I look back on my life, I overpaid for my big successes every time,” Jones told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram immediately following the draft. “And when I tried to get a bargain, get it a little cheaper or get a better deal on it, I ended up usually either getting it and not happy I got it. Or missing it.
”And I probably should have overpaid here.”
They ended up taking Dak Prescott in the 4th. 

@stickybun, I can see the Gardner Minshew comp. FYI Minshew on his career is 63% 4,953 yards 32 TD to 11 int (on a bad team). Not bad value for a mid to late round guy. Zach Wilson is taller, more athletic and probably gets drafted much higher. 

The Vikings won with a guy like Case Keenum and I think once Zimmer gets the defense retooled again, they could win with a Minshew type like Zach Wilson.

Love his style of play! He was 24 of 26 for 325 yards and two td earlier this month against Louisiana Tech. He also ran for 43 yards.

We need a QB with some swag!. I like Lawrence, Fields and Lance more, but if I had to pick the forth QB,... Zach is it. OL in the 1st round and Wilson in the 3rd.

1st QB
add a 2nd through trades of veterans  IOL
3rd  DT
3rd via Ravens 
4th  DT
4th via Bears  IOL
4th via Bills  IOL or QB (yes another,  if our first one is more pronounced passer,  this prospect should be a bit more of a mobile guy with a passer upside
5th via Ravens  OL
5th via Steelers  DL
5th  trade for a 3rd or 4th next year
6th   BPA
7th   BPA

Its time to commit to a draft that addresses areas of weakness and all 3 of these areas need improvement and have the longest careers on average.... so lets start our rebuild there.  (unless they really thing they have something in either Browner or Stanley... lets double down on the QB prospects.

@JimmyinSD said:  Its time to commit to a draft that addresses areas of weakness and all 3 of these areas need improvement and have the longest careers on average.... so lets start our rebuild there.  (unless they really thing they have something in either Browner or Stanley... lets double down on the QB prospects.

I agree, the Vikings will have plenty of draft capital to work to double down. Especially if they trade a couple more players before the trade deadline. I just one of the top 3 QB are still on the board when the Viking pick in the first round? Moving up to get one will be costly (but might be worth it). 

I'm beginning to believe Cousins and Mannion will both be gone after the season. I can see the Vikings drafting two QB and signing a cheap veteran. I hate to eat Cousins contract for 2021, but 45M for 2022 is insane for a team in rebuilding mode. I'm glad the Vikings negotiated a little bit of an out if they cut him this offseason.  

I bet Mannion gets the start vs the Lions? I think his opportunity might be getting closer. 

@JimmyinSD said:  Its time to commit to a draft that addresses areas of weakness and all 3 of these areas need improvement and have the longest careers on average.... so lets start our rebuild there.  (unless they really thing they have something in either Browner or Stanley... lets double down on the QB prospects.

I agree, the Vikings will have plenty of draft capital to work to double down. Especially if they trade a couple more players before the trade deadline. I just one of the top 3 QB are still on the board when the Viking pick in the first round? Moving up to get one will be costly (but might be worth it). 

I'm beginning to believe Cousins and Mannion will both be gone after the season. I can see the Vikings drafting two QB and signing a cheap veteran. I hate to eat Cousins contract for 2021, but 45M for 2022 is insane for a team in rebuilding mode. I'm glad the Vikings negotiated a little bit of an out if they cut him this offseason.  

I bet Mannion gets the start vs the Lions? I think his opportunity might be getting closer. 
they are adding the draft capital to make some moves.  a few more day 2 picks and throw in next years first round pick and they should be able to get to #2 if they so desired.

As a believer that we will, sadly, NOT be able to pry Trevor Lawrence from the tank-committed Jets, are there people here who can excite me about Justin Fields? I have lazily lumped him with all the recent OSU QBs who couldn't make it in the NFL. Geez I remember when Art Schlichter was THE "can't miss" QB prospect in a draft...has ANY quarterback in the NFL ever slowly said he's from "THE Ohio State University"???
So is Fields different? Could we possibly "settle" for him and end up happy we did??

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
As a believer that we will, sadly, NOT be able to pry Trevor Lawrence from the tank-committed Jets, are there people here who can excite me about Justin Fields? I have lazily lumped him with all the recent OSU QBs who couldn't make it in the NFL. Geez I remember when Art Schlichter was THE "can't miss" QB prospect in a draft...has ANY quarterback in the NFL ever slowly said he's from "THE Ohio State University"???
So is Fields different? Could we possibly "settle" for him and end up happy we did??
Fields is freak prospect!  But I agree with you, Ohio State QB scare me. I don't see Washington selecting Fields after taking Haskins (for this reason). I realize Haskins and Cardale Jones are less mobile, but they have not had success in the NFL.

T.J Barrett owns 25 Ohio State records, a 38-6 record, greats stats, was the #7 QB coming out of high school, finished 5th in the Heisman race, and accounted for more career offensive yards than Drew Brees did at Purdue.

Barrett went undrafted partly because of off the field issues. But he has had multiple opportunities in NFL camps and couldn't impress.

I love watching Fields play,... but man Ohio State QB struggle at stepping up to the next level.